We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 Feature Discussion: Car Handling

Ryzza5

If you would like to ask question regarding this topic or discuss if it's a good idea or not, please do it here, and not in other threads.

What We Know

We know that the handling from TDU1 was evolved from Eden's previous V-Rally games on PSX. Eden said thay they were making a new handling mode that was easy to use (accessible) but difficult to master. Physics have not beein completed in TDU2 yet. The physics shown in the two trailers already released are not representative of the final game to be released in Fall 2010 (northern hemisphere).

Some feel that the handling shown in the two trailers is terrible, while others are confident that the physics will improve greatly closer to September. Others think that despite being shot from inside the TDU2 game (unlike the early TDU1 trailers), the cars are animated instead of being 'driven'. A lot of people have already said which type of physics they would like to see in TDU2, many asking for Simulation based (or close to it), while others were happy with the physics in TDU1.

You are welcome to discuss the pros and cons of this topic, but any posts that go offtopic or are rude will be deleted.

Also known (not fully decided): some cars is arcade, some is sim.

Handling/physics.. too early but:

If the best we'll get is something dumbed down lower than TDU1 HC, the majority will be disappointed (60%, in poll).

And probably PARTLY look for a substitute, (I know I would anyway).

It's worth adding this quote from this interview:

This time we don’t want the dynamics of the car handling to be classified in one category. It’s easy to learn' date=' hard to master. You know that principal? Some cars are quite picky to drive, and some cars are very easy. You have this kind of difficulty aspect on the cars. The hardcore aspects will be possible in the fact that you can choose your driving “helps”. But there’s no “hardcore” or “normal” game.[/quote']

If you watch the Top Gear review comparing the Audi R8 V10 and the Corvette ZR1, I think you can grasp what they mean by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8kLnEMLEto

Yes, I think H-mode can be replaced by a much more realistic method: enable or disable driving aid systems such as ESP, ASR...

I hope they put in Race Start (aka Launch control or something).

Agree'd, Let's face it, most modern hatchbacks are easy to drive, but when you get into the realms of Koenigsegg's without driving aids you'd need your witts about you. I also feel that the cars in the game should only come with the driving aids they can have in real life. So a TVR shouldnt come with any driving aids apart form the steering wheel, handbrake and accelerator, brake and clutch pedals...

Launch control is a very good idea but i personally would only use it to learn from it.

I don't think Sim handling would really suit TDU2. TDU is a fantasy game where you can own 100's cars and accumalate millions upon millions of $, it's a fantasy world where you can drive a CCR at 250mph+ while weaving through traffic and chat with your friends, hardly realistic. People would get bored very quickly if it was Sim based and on simple cruises ended up crashing every 300yds. What they need to do, in my opinion, is find the right balance between Arcade and Sim, something which I feel TDU did quite well, though that's not to say there isn't room for improvement.

However, one complaint I do have is that there wasn't enough difference in handling between different cars, alot of cars did feel very much the same. Varying the handling alot more would add alot more depth to TDU2. So far, from what i've read, they do seem to be going in the right direction for TDU2.