We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

iPhone 4

iLLGT3

In a shocking announcement that absolutely no one expected -- oh, who are we kidding? Apple CEO Steve Jobs just officially debuted the iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010 in San Francisco. While anyone with internet access has probably already seen the thing, we now know some of the new specs -- plus a date and pricing. June 24 for the iPhone 4 in white or black, 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $299, with a contract, of course. AT&T is extending the special pricing to any subscriber whose contract is up in 2010. Pre-orders for the iPhone 4 will open June 15.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/07/apple-iphone-4/

apple_iphone4_multitasking_overview.jpg

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Here are some specs of the new iPhone 4G..

Availability

• Available in-store June 24.
  • Pre-orders start June 15 for the U.S., France, U.K., Germany and Japan.
  • 16GB model $199; 32GB model $299.
  • Available in black and white.
  • The iPhone 3GS now sells for $99.

What’s new: outside

• Yes, the prototype leaked by Gizmodo was the real deal.
  • What’s out: the curved look with metal back. What’s in: completely flat, with a thicker edge that’s a band of stainless steel alloy (5X stronger than steel) that serves as the phone’s antenna.
  • At 9.3 millimeters, it’s 34 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS and is currently the thinnest smartphone on the market.
  • “Retina Display”: Four times the depth of 3GS. 3.5-inch multitouch IPS (”in-plane switching”), with 960 by 640 resolution. 320 pixels per inch. 800:1 contrast ratio. Oleophobic coating.
  • Front- and back-facing cameras. Back: 5-megapixel with LED flash, supports HD video. Front: VGA, up to 30fps.
  • It has split circular buttons for volume.
  • Second microphone for noise cancellation.
  • Micro-SIM standard.
  • Dimensions: 4.5 in. tall, 2.31 in. wide, 0.37 in. thick. Weight: 4.8 ounces. (a hair heavier than 3GS)

What’s new: inside

• Processor: Apple A4, the same chip used by the iPad.
  • Battery: 16 percent bigger than 3GS; rated for 40 percent more talk time. Ratings: 7 hours talk; 6 hours 3G browsing; 10 hours Wi-Fi browsing; 10 hours video; 40 hours music; 300 hours standby.
  • Three-axis gyroscope joins existing accelerometer and compass.
  • Connectivity: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only); Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

What’s new: software

• iPhone OS becomes iOS; the new version is iOS 4.
  • Selective multitasking.
  • App folders for home screen.
  • FaceTime: videoconferencing over Wi-Fi only in 2010.
  • iMovie for iPhone, with up to 720p support.
  • iBooks: purchases load to iPhone, iPod, iPad (read: iOS devices) for no extra charge.
  • Photo and video geotagging.
  • Unified e-mail inbox.
  • Home screen wallpaper.

iphone4_1a.jpg

:/ I'm gutted, I'm stuck with my pay as you go 3GS, and Honestly, the prices in the UK are so bad it's unbelievable....

Best way to upgrade from 3GS to 4G anyone?

I didn't upgrade to the 3GS because I wanted to be able to get the next generation, given that the 3GS was just a glorified 3G.

You can try theft, or gambling.

Why is iLL so hyped about this, iirc he's anti Apple.

Looks pretty cool. They could have tried a little harder with the camera though. Newer phones are coming out with better cameras and Apple's behind in that department. Looks good though. Much better than the old one. Won't be getting one though...

Most (mildly intelligent) people use Wi-Fi when it's available and there are hotspots all over the place.

As too the phone, meh. It's way too overpriced for what you get. For that amount of money I'd expect it to at least make my bed for me in the mornings.

• 3 weeks later...
Most (mildly intelligent) people use Wi-Fi when it's available and there are hotspots all over the place.

As too the phone, meh. It's way too overpriced for what you get. For that amount of money I'd expect it to at least make my bed for me in the mornings.

Moste apple products are way too overpriced for what you get.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/apple-iphone-4-cost-18751_n_628955.html