We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

How would one go about becoming a racer?

MephistoRacing

By that I don't mean just being a driver in a team, I mean starting from nothing. No car, no money, just experience.

As of now I've literally got little to no money, I mean, enough to get by and about $150 extra each month, which seems like a lot but really isn't. See, the reason for this is, I'm an avid smoker, I love smoking and don't plan on quitting. That takes about $50 dollars a month. Add on the price of PC repairs and parts and such (having a budget gaming build means it's really an ongoing expense), and I've got very little extra each month.

So basically as of my first time seeing a car in my life I've wanted to drive them fast, around tracks and stuff. Which I assume I should get started on if I actually want to make anything come of it as I am now 18 years old... But with no budget it makes it hard.

Any ideas as to how to get something started here?

Starting from scratch, you would need to be something like 7 years old, thats when most racers like Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher started in Karts.

To start racing at your age, i suggest getting a car and doing some trackdays at a local track or something. I'm sure you can get a runner for under $500 Canada Money.

Something you haven't specified is what kind of racing you want to do? Track racing, Autocross ect. This question will set you up for what i'm going to say next.

If you seriously want to get into racing, the cheapest would be autocross i guess. You need a car, saftey gear and an event to register for. Google for local events and entry costs.

If you want to get into track racing with others, this is where it gets more costly. Any car should do for a track race, for example. A car that you can buy for $500, you will eventually need to pour money into it to make it track safe and to conform with the rules. On top of that, there is cost for saftey gear, spare parts, event registration and insurance. Again, Google will provide more info than i just posted.

The same again goes for Rally Racing too. A good thing to read about Rallying is How a $500 Car Beat $400,000 Rally Racers. Even though he bought a car for $500, it still cost mounds to prep it and register in the event. And i will mention again, Google should provide all info for this type of racing.

In the end, most of the drivers in top flight motorsport have actually come from a family of racers who get their kinds in at an early age, aswell as pour money into their careers. Hope i have help you in what you decide to do. I think this is only the basics of trying to get into motorsport.

My personal advice though. Quit smoking and go to the local Kart track.

That's pretty much the response I was afraid of :P

Not that that's really a bad thing

What I want to do is basic track racing, not sure the class or whatever, but basically the type of crap you do at the beginning of the Gran Turismo games...

I was thinking maybe I could save costs by buying a racing chassis and building up my own car off of it... I understand the risks involved and that it would take a lot of work, time and, education, but if I did it this way I would have complete control over the way the car acts and feels...

One thing I thought about with that method was a body, I was thinking to save weight and money I could purchase cheap lightweight body kits and basically use different parts from different kits to make up the body... No idea if this is feasible, or even possible though...

There are a lot of unrealised costs when racing, as Loz said.

You'll need your car, high octane fuel, track insurance, costs of repairs, safety gear, registration, maintenance, staff costs (who look after your car)

Life would get easier later on (If you make a name for yourself) as you'll start getting sponsors who'll fund you small amounts. Then if all goes to plan, you'll get bigger sponsors.

You'd need to pour in A LOT of cash to become anywhere near a novice, you'll also need a racing license as well, I think.

It'd take a helluva serious commitment to become anywhere near successful.

you guys aren't very reassuring :p

I am starting to realize all the little hidden costs now though... Maybe this is something I should really take time to plan.

I'm literally so tired that I feel like throwing up, so I'll think about it more and have a proper response when I wake up.

Thanks, dudes.

That's pretty much the response I was afraid of :P

Not that that's really a bad thing

What I want to do is basic track racing, not sure the class or whatever, but basically the type of crap you do at the beginning of the Gran Turismo games...

I was thinking maybe I could save costs by buying a racing chassis and building up my own car off of it... I understand the risks involved and that it would take a lot of work, time and, education, but if I did it this way I would have complete control over the way the car acts and feels...

One thing I thought about with that method was a body, I was thinking to save weight and money I could purchase cheap lightweight body kits and basically use different parts from different kits to make up the body... No idea if this is feasible, or even possible though...

I don't think the racing that happenes early on in GT actually happenes in real life.

Building a car from scratch would cost even more than buying one and modifying it. With a car built from scratch, there are alot more inspections and so on to make sure its safe and road/race worthy.

From what I've heard, one way to get a name for yourself is to become really good at Go-Karting. There are actually Go-Kart competitions at different levels (Regional, National, etc.). People (kids) who are very good Go-Karters get selected for racing teams. I don't know if you want to race just for fun or as a career. However, this is one way you can become a race car driver (depending on what your age is. Obivously I can't determine this, but if you're over 20, the chances of becoming a professional racer are probably much less).

From what I've heard, one way to get a name for yourself is to become really good at Go-Karting. There are actually Go-Kart competitions at different levels (Regional, National, etc.). People (kids) who are very good Go-Karters get selected for racing teams. I don't know if you want to race just for fun or as a career. However, this is one way you can become a race car driver (depending on what your age is. Obivously I can't determine this, but if you're over 20, the chances of becoming a professional racer are probably much less).

Go-Karting was something that sprung into my mind as soon as I read the first post.

Personally I've never gone Go-Karting but I imaging it's a nice and easy/safer way to get the feel for the racing environment. It'll get you used to cornering techniques and all that stuff and once you become good enough word of mouth may get you some kind of sponsor or offer. I don't know, I'm not sure how Go-Karting works but try it first anyway and see how you get on.

I personally wouldn't get a vehicle until I'm absolutely sure that a racing career is something I want to be involved in and can handle being a part of. Yeh, I know everyone will be thinking "What the hell is he talking about? That'd be teh bestest jobz evarz" but whatever. Don't waste money on a car only to get it on a track and think "I'm not too sure if this was a good idea and I've just spent X-amount of money getting me here".

I've been karting a few times and I've enjoyed it. You need to get a feel for racing and everything that goes on there. Not sure about where you live but there's a couple of Go-Karting places around here and it'd be good for you to go like once every couples of weeks and get to know the staff at the place. You could also try getting a job at a karting place which will make things a hell of a lot easier.

If you're going to really try and do this, it's worth buying yourself a membership or something there and race against other guys who are serious as well. It'll all be in the practice and if you try I'm sure you could find a way of succeeding into getting known.

Easier things to do are to check famous race car drivers Wikipedia pages and see how they got into racing and try to follow their paths.

;)

Personally, I wouldn't encourage you to become a race driver. You would always be on the road and always practicing, no free time to yourself, and you're not just going to get hired because you're a fairly good driver, you have to be excellent, its almost like winning the lottery. I think you should go after a well paying job, and buy a few cars to play with on track days, that way you can have time for yourself for things with your family and friends, as well still get the thrill of racing and cars. But that's just my opinion. But if you really want to become one, I suggest(like everyone else already did) Go Karts and trackdays...

The thing about iRacing is that there is a built-in learning curve to play online. I believe you have to pass a series of tests to play online, and similar obstacles. But you do get to race with very serious racers, at least from what I've heard.

If you had some spare cash, I would say pick up an old Spec Miata (or normal Miata and convert it) and do some SCCA racing. But I don't know if that's a possibility. As far as karting is concerned, I'm not that familiar, but when you look at Hamilton and Shumacher, you realize that they were from very wealthy families, and already had connections. Additionally, they started as kids, an age group where it is easier, if you promote yourself, to be noticed as "talented" (the same reason I'm trying to get a book published before I'm 16, but that's a different matter).

I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard - being in the right place at the right time helps.

-Leadfoot

Nope - there's a rookie league than you can jump straight into. I only crashed once. That said, it was one of the most courteous races I've ever been involved with on the PC, so it really does add to the sim's immersion.