We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Google+

Immelmann

For those who don't know, Google+ is Google's new Facebook rival, where your data is actually your data and you can set things up the way you want. Seems very promising thus far, but the big challenge will be getting people to make the switch.

Google+ is a social networking service operated by Google Inc.. The service launched on June 28, 2011, in an invite-only testing phase.[1] The following day, existing users were allowed to invite friends, who are above 18 years of age, to the service to create their own accounts. However, this was quickly suspended in a day after there was "insane demand" for accounts.[2]

Google+ will be built as a layer that not only integrates different Google social services, such as Google Profiles and Google Buzz, but also introduces many new features including Circles, Hangouts, Sparks and Huddles.[3] Google+ will also be available as a Desktop application and as an application on Android and iOS. It has been said that this is Google's biggest attempt to rival the social network Facebook[4], which had over half a billion users in 2010.[5]

Features

"Circles" enables users to organize contacts into groups for sharing,[6] across multiple of its products and services. A drag-and-drop interface allows users into groups of their choice.

"Huddle" is a feature available to Android, iPhone, and SMS devices for communicating with circles.[6]

"Hangouts" are places used to facilitate group video chat (with a maximum of 10 people participating in a single Hangout at any point of time). However, anyone on the web could potentially join-in into the 'Hangout' if they happen to possess the unique url of the Hangout.[6]

"Instant Upload" is specific to Android mobile devices; it stores photos or video in a private album for sharing later.[6]

"Sparks" is a front-end to Google Search, enabling user to identify topics they might be interested in sharing with others; "featured interests" sparks are also available, based on topics others globally are finding interesting.[6]

Through "Streams", users see updates from those in their circles, updates similar to Facebook's news feed. The input box allows users to enter a status update or use icons to upload and share photo and videos.

I've not much to say, so, who here is already in?

I'm here

PM me with your email (assuming you trust me) if you need an invite :)

Hmm.. That's bravery on google's part, but also stupidity. I mean let's face it, facebook is about the biggest thing in the world since the birth of the internet, and though google maybe just as big as FB I certainly have doubts weather they'll be albe to pull this off or not.

With the amount of times Facebook has stuffed up with privacy, etc I'm surprised people still use it. A lot of IT Geeks closed down their accounts last year.

I pride myself on not having a twitter or Facebook/MySpace account, and have no plans on joining Google+ at this stage. I think they know enough about me already. I do admire their "your data" concept though. Google Wave was no doubt cool, but that failed for not being backwards compatible enough (with email) - I have no doubt plenty of people will check it out over time, the question will be if they stick with it. The best thing Google could do to help it's chances would be to create some sort of 'import' function for grabbing data from competitor networks (if they're allowed to do that).

Hmm.. That's bravery on google's part, but also stupidity. I mean let's face it, facebook is about the biggest thing in the world since the birth of the internet, and though google maybe just as big as FB I certainly have doubts weather they'll be albe to pull this off or not.

I was reading an article the other day in the newspaper and it said Facebook has stopped growing (getting new members at a rapid rate) over the past year. Keep in mind social networking sites are a fad. They come and go *cough* Myspace *cough* :p

With the amount of times Facebook has stuffed up with privacy, etc I'm surprised people still use it. A lot of IT Geeks closed down their accounts last year.

I pride myself on not having a twitter or Facebook/MySpace account, and have no plans on joining Google+ at this stage. I think they know enough about me already. I do admire their "your data" concept though. Google Wave was no doubt cool, but that failed for not being backwards compatible enough (with email) - I have no doubt plenty of people will check it out over time, the question will be if they stick with it. The best thing Google could do to help it's chances would be to create some sort of 'import' function for grabbing data from competitor networks (if they're allowed to do that).

I had an account but closed it ages ago due to it being crap and nothing is private.

Besides I have a mobile which is much easier to use to talk to friends and whatnot. And unlike most people, I prefer to go out to meet new people rather than just befriending people I've never met and probably never will. *shrug*

Same reason while I'll probably not bother with this Google+ thing unless it has or will have genuinely useful features.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...