We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Community Assisted Race Simulator (CARS) WAS in Development

Ryzza5

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Formula Rookie in today's build is an utter git. So hard to drive at the very limit. Been lapping it on Suzuka, it doesn't know if it wants to oversteer, understeer, face the wrong direction or just disobay in general.

I also don't believe that it is impossible for it to wheelspin off the line. It bogs down on launch, even if you have the pedal floored

Cars are often added to pCARS as soon as possible, they are by no means finished visually or physic-ally :para:

I remember the first build to include the Bathurst track, is was just a road in the sky, no mountain/ground then.

Such an amazing night in cars!! Me and sponge have been duelling it out for hours with the zonda on various tracks but ended up sticking with the zonda around seca for some time! I managed to be beating him by half a second before my cars crashed and my time not uploading. When i got back in the game was on and he managed to beat my non uploaded time by half a second which I am now .1 second behind.

As well with the zonda I have gained some leaderboards with the formula rookie but they won't last that long.

GOOD RACING SPONGE!! But I will be back Sunday with avengance :evil:

Another video:

The formula rookie is a fun little car, hilariously slidey at speed, but fun on the whole. Looks like a canoe and handles like one too, imo it needs downforce but i'm sure that a wing would rob the already poor top speed performance

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrLolololXD

I have a few questions about PCars before I go ahead and buy it, luckily I remembered this thread before I spammed the chatbox with them :p

1. Is being a senior member (100 euros) really worth upgrading from the full member position (45 euros)?

2. How big is the game to download? What are the average sizes of the updates/patches?

3. It says I'll get a free copy when the full version is released (if I get it I'm not gonna go lower than the full member option), does anyone know if that's a downloadable version or a code of somewhat that gets me a free retail disc version?

4. It says tool pack, does that mean I get access to change the script files, textures etc.?

5. What are the exclusive cars and tracks? :D

I know I have more questions, but I just can't remember them right now lol If I remember them I'll post 'em later on.

Just not sure whether to download it now or wait and see if there is a retail disc version, because my internet speed sucks donkey balls, I don't want to have to wait 1 month for it to partly download then timeout... :hd:

Oooh ooh, I read that I get money back when the full game is released? What's with that?

1. Is being a senior member (100 euros) really worth upgrading from the full member position (45 euros)?

The more you spend, the more perks you get, and the more money you hope to receive in return. Seniors will get discounted DLC as well as the free final game. Members in higher tiers hold greater weight in some polls (i.e. a senior manager vote might be worth the same as 25 junior votes or something like that). You can upgrade to high tiers and pay the difference at any time.

2. How big is the game to download? What are the average sizes of the updates/patches?

Builds are released each Friday usually. The first Friday build of the month is a bit over 3GB now (I remember the first builds last October were only 1GB) and patches are 300-400MB each other week. Probably worth waiting until next Friday's build if you want to save on downloads, but there's plenty of interesting forum threads to read through in the meantime. This latest patch is 765mb but it's the end of the month and has a lot of weather changes and a new car, and Monaco is a recent track addition.

3. It says I'll get a free copy when the full version is released (if I get it I'm not gonna go lower than the full member option), does anyone know if that's a downloadable version or a code of somewhat that gets me a free retail disc version?

It's been confirmed you can get the PC or a console version, so possibly either, but no doubting downloadable will be an option. The final game is due for release in the back half of 2013 so you have plenty of time to improve your Internet connection. The builds are available via torrent so you could always ask a friend to download them for you (useless to them without a username and password).

4. It says tool pack, does that mean I get access to change the script files, textures etc.?

TweakIt is a dev program that runs alongside the game that allows you to mess with lighting/weather, etc. You can make your own car textures/liveries in Ps/Gimp. I've never tried it personally.

The country road P2P tracks are exclusive to Team Member+ I think. Search YouTube for Azure Coast and California Highway videos.

Oooh ooh, I read that I get money back when the full game is released? What's with that?

Because members invest 70% into the game they receive 70% of the profits, to be paid to members quarterly (minus a temporary 10% to cover refunds/returns) for 2 years. You'd have to be at least Senior level to worry about this anyway. You are also permitted to purchase multiple tool packs for multiple accounts (just use the same Paypal email address for each payment) as long as you don't give your account password to anyone else. I have a Senior account and a Team Member account that my brother uses (I type the password into the game once a month for him so he doesn't know it). I looked into it a few months ago and think conservatively I could stand to get 4x the money I spent in return (based on the sales figures for Shift 2 Unleashed). Members who make significant contributions to the game or advertising may receive more than those who sign up and do nothing.

Read the PDF file linked in the first post for more details. After a member vote pCARS will not be a free to play + microtransaction DLC game any more - will just be a normal retail game.

Guest MrLolololXD

Awesome! Thanks for all of that, much appreciated. :)

I have a bit longer to get it than I thought, I'll try and get a new router and ask Telstra nicely if they can up my speed before the end of this month. By the looks of it I'll get a senior membership

But if the return is gonna be that big I'll take out a 25,000 euro bank loan :eek: Lolums

After writing that post and re-checking the info I basically said 'what the heck' and upgraded from Senior to Manager.

I was going to say that's the most expensive racing game but then I forgot about how much some people have spent on iRacing with no hope of RoI. At least I don't have to worry about the tax implications this year.

The country road P2P tracks are exclusive to Team Member+ I think. Search YouTube for Azure Coast and California Highway videos.

You're right to think sir, I'm only a team member and I can drive those tracks :)