We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

P&C Car Reviews *2013 Ford Focus*

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil war- the battle of the Prancing Horse.

So heres something that hasnt been requested, but I felt like doing. I know I've already done a Ferrari review, but this one wont include the FF (:D) and will be more thorough.

Civil War

Today I'm reviewing the illusive Ferrari 430 Scuderia. I'll be pitting it against what I believe are its main rivals in the Ferrari camp- Its successor, the 458 Italia, and the firm's new Grand Touring monster, the 599 GTO.

The piece of road chosen for this comparison, are the astoundingly beautiful twists and turns of Camino Viejo de Montserrat.

First of all, i'd like to note that while the 430 is stock, I have tuned the suspension and tyre pressures to my liking. This is because I found it quite understeery with the default settings.

6282937174_558dd8d9d4_z.jpg

So the 430 Scuderia. Most of you will know a fair bit about it, but i'm sure someone cant see the difference between it and the regular F430. Contrary to Clarkson's comments, the word 'Scuderia' doesnt actually mean team. Not directly anyway. Its literal translation is 'a place where racing horses are kept', or stable. Enzo Ferrari used the word to describe his racing team- his 'stable of prancing horses', if you will. Appropriate then, right? It is powered by the same 4.3 Litre V8 that you'll find in the regular F430, The inlet ducts and exhaust system have been revised. The intake manifold is now made from carbon fibre, as is the filter housing- reducing weight, and also making those parts stronger. The exhaust system was derived from the F430 Challenge. This ups the power from 483 horsepower to 508.

6282937420_5510ba2659_z.jpg

Extensive weight reduction has also been a major focus of the car. That gorgeous composite material that every other car within the performance world has capitolized on (Pagani, anyone?), carbon fibre, has been used for the front splitter, rear diffuser, rear window vents, most of the interior, even the panel that is moulded to the tail-lights. Along with that, the carpet has been stripped out, revealing a bare metal floor. All of this has brought the weight down to just 1350 KG- a whole 100 KG less than the regular F430!

6282938292_f6a0e5f36e_z.jpg

It rides on awesome looking 19" 10 spoke wheels, available in grey/black or a deep bronze/gold finish (in real life, only the grey/black is available in game), wrapped in 235mm wide Pirelli PZero tyres- 285mm at the rear. Lurking behind the wheels are huge carbon ceramic brake discs, with 6 pot calipers on the fronts, 4 pot on the rears.

6282938668_329b1ff05a_z.jpg

The aerodynamics have also been revised- the most obvious change to the regular F430 with a glance. It now features larger, more agressive vents on the front bumper, as well as a central vent lower down. As mentioned earlier, it now sports a carbon fibre splitter on the front as well. The front guards have been revised, also. I never really liked the rear of the F430, it always looked to plain. That has been rectified with the Scuderia- A huge carbon fibre diffuser has been integrated into the rear bumper, and the panel that goes along underneath the tail lights is also carbon fibre, with a much larger, rectangular vent in the middle.

So thats all well and good, but how does it actually drive?

6282939212_28c46102d3_z.jpg

Straight from the showroom, its a bit on the understeery side. Very fast though, with a top speed of 319 kilometres an hour. With some light suspension tuning, as well as upping the rear tyre pressure, though, it turns into a cornering dream. It slices through the downhill s-bends in the first sector of Camino Viejo de Montseratt with ease, and thanks to the big carbon ceramic brake discs, easily pulls up for the hairpin at the bottom. A little understeer can still be felt at the corner exit, but not anything to worry about. Throttle control is paramount on corner exit though, as simply stomping your foot down will send you sideways very quickly.

I took the car out for about 5 laps- thats including a warm up lap, and a cool down lap to gather my thoughts. I managed a time of 1:10.183. Part 2, my review of the 458, will be up soon.

6282422597_ae700cba0e_z.jpg

Full set here

Disclaimer: I never edit my photos outside of the game. I race and test cars with a Microsoft wireless racing wheel, in my custom built simulator cockpit. I don't use any assists (ABS, TCS, etc), and use manual with the clutch, despite having to use a button on the wheel for the clutch pedal.

Just had an idea of a few cars I would absolutely love seeing reviewed, the Audi RS3 Sportback and the Aston Martin Virage. Those are the only two cars I would be buying the Speed Pack for and I want to know if they are any good before I do the work of saving for them and spend the money on the DLC.

Just had an idea of a few cars I would absolutely love seeing reviewed, the Audi RS3 Sportback and the Aston Martin Virage. Those are the only two cars I would be buying the Speed Pack for and I want to know if they are any good before I do the work of saving for them and spend the money on the DLC.

I've personally driven both! I'll try and write something up soon.