We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Retro Gaming #1: The Need for Speed (Road & Track)

Ryzza5

This will probably be one of the hardest games to find (search for 'The Need for Speed 1 SE full DOS'), but there is a free playable demo available here:

Download The Need For Speed | DOS Games Archive

To get this game working, you will probably need to install DOS-BOX, an emulator for DOS (which for all you n00bs, is the operating system we used before Windows came out).

How to get the game working: Running The Need for Speed SE [NFS1] on Vista and XP - NFSCars Forums

So, as part of the TDUCk retro gaming concept, we'll pretend that this game has just been released and share screenshots, videos, discussions, etc, etc.

Possibly depends on whether or not it's the SE version.

AFAIK, the first version was DOS only, and then the SE version came out to work with Windows 95, and it also had 2 extra tracks, rewritten rally code, DirectX 2, and networking support. I don't know which version the PS1 copy compares to. IIRC the game had police chases too. :)

So, as i said, i started play this game. The intro is cool, as it is made by real cars... lol.

I did few single races just to practice, before start the tournament itself, and i found... something curious... THIS GAME IS HARD! :lol:

I did a Viper race on tournament, i had to restart the race few times, took a few screenshots.

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

Look the lap times, lol... like a clock (Viper times)

Here you can see i have raced on same track with different cars, i have done a lot of races with the NSX to get that time, few races with the 512 and then i did the tournament one. (Viper)

So far that is all what i have done... was doing other tournament race, but it is so hard to beat this dude

Yes, that is the finish line, last lap, last seconds of race... :lol:

Edit: I would prefer a interior like this in standard cars in GT5 than the dull blackness they have done. :lol:

Nice screenies there Millena - yeah the older games were harder (that said I wasn't sure if they were actually harder or it was due to me being a lot younger and less skilled back then) :p

You may use the DOS or PSX version (either way you probably need an emulator) ;)

I'm still in the acquisition stage but should be able to start playing Friday evening hopefully.

Seems like i got the way of how to play this... done almost all races now, need do only one. :D

I also could notice something that was not expected. :lol: The car understeers because braking too hard! While taking a really tight corner with the Ferrari, it was going out of the road, when i stop braking and accelerated, i noticed the car getting the front up and it stop understeering.

Not sure, but i guess that is such an advanced physics-wise thing for a game 3 years old younger than me.

Here is a picture of me maxing out the NSX. :lol:

Edit: Play this game using the square button as accelerator made my thumb gets hurt. Lol, like if press it harder will make the car run faster. :lol:

Maybe but unlikely. I played all the old NFS games with a keyboard back in the day so that's how I plan on doing it again. For controllers you would have better chances using the PSX emulator rather than the DOS one (since DOS didn't really support controllers... it was hard enough just to get sound and VGA working in some games) ;)

I couldn't get the game to work , unfortunetely I'm not very good at these things and dosbox is far too complicated for me. I've followed the instructions but I'm sure I've done something wrong , the disc is in my drive I've typed mound d e:\ but it keeps giving me nfs illegal something. quick launch doesn't work either because the game is not installed. and I can't install the game all together because I have 64 bit.

edit I've copied files from my disk to hard drive , mounted that file in dosbox but it won't run the installer still.

Yeah I was thinking about how I might install it (hopefully I can run setup from inside DOS-BOX). If I get it working I'll let you know how, but probably won't try it until tomorrow.

Otherwise you could try installing it in a Virtual PC if you have one (or perhaps you even have an old PC or laptop lying around that's 32-bit).

[+] I've installed the game ok in DOS-BOX but the emulator seems to crash when I launch the game which is weird (since others have got it working, plus I've had success playing other DOS games such as Toonstruck in the emulator). I'll see if I've still got a Win95 Virtual PC floating around on one of my HDDs otherwise will look at the PSX version.

1.PNG

3.PNG

I found my old Windows 98 virtual PC and booted it up (have a bunch of VMs running different version of Windows for back when I tested programs that I created), had no issues installing and launching the game, except for too much lag that made it unplayable. I'll see what can be done about it, otherwise will look for the PSX version:

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

Parts of the game look like a massive achievement considering the technology + PCs that were around back then.

Tried the PSX version today and had a go on two tracks. Driving is not stupidly arcade, not proper sim, but not too bad. Let's just say you probably won't win your first race, esp if you pick one of the harder tracks :) The crash sound effects when I under-steered, hit the barrier and rolled over were pretty cool. If you try and use the handbrake in bumper cam, the camera pulls back to 3rd person (or vehicle) view. Drifting (if successful) will slow you down though, but the brakes seem very slow to work (or they don't work when you're trying to steer).

If you can get ePSXe (Ehanced PSX Emulator) and the CD it'll probably be easier to get working compared to the PC version for this particular title.

9.PNG

8.PNG

My first attempt at the first track in a Supra.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't got around to getting this one working or sharing your screenies and experiences with us yet, now's the time since we'll be moving on up to Need for Speed 2 (SE) tomorrow (24 hours). I'll try to get around to finishing the tournament in a few hours. I might even try to Live Stream it for those who weren't able to get it working (don't expect me to know the tracks or win races though) :p

Just finished the tournament and opened a new track. Here is the screenshots that i took.

TOP SPEED!! :lol:

Edit: Beating Ryzza's time. :lol: