We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Do you think Sony have learned from PS3 for PS4?

Eudemon

Here's a question for you that I guess won't be answered until the PS4 releases, but with talk about it being '4K' is Sony already aiming too high with the specs of it's next-gen PlayStation? Looking back now Blu-ray was a brave choice but one that probably has paid off as BD is now all around us and in fact we are now looking to what the next format will be as it's successor if even a physical format will be the future! Wait I'm straying off my intended topic here.

The PS3 when released cost let's face it, a bomb as it was very expensive. It wasn't long till you were hearing that developers were struggling to work with the machine and then on-top of this you had the whole "could do with some more memory" thrown into the mix whereas it was clear that Microsoft had listened to what devs had to say about their new platform and as can be clearly seen the Xbox 360 is clearly better for it as with several multi-format titles the Microsoft machine does have the upper hand in visuals. So my question to you all is, has Sony learned from the mistakes of the PS3 and if so do you think the PS4 will be a much better machine due to it, and if not do you think they will struggle in the next-generation?

Answers on a postcard please to: KEVIN BACON, 4GEE, EARTH, MILKY WAY, CENTRE OF UNIVERSE.

PS3 started off the winner since that was the first console I purchased. Mainly as a media extender but then I got sick and tired of video playback stopping because of an unknown network error. The specs were good, but I'm not a fan on the controller, and the interface could be a little better (at least it's still very responsive and easy to navigate).

Microsoft has the upper hand already since their console will no doubt integrate with Windows, SkyDrive, etc and then services like Xbox Music, Gamerscores, LIVE Gold will probably carry across to keep one-sided players loyal.

Sony needed to sell Bluray at a loss in the PS3 so that the format would win overall against HD-DVD. It definitely crossed my mind when choosing, yet all these years later we only have about 10 BluRay movies in the house. In some ways they need to have the better specs ni order to compete. Since Sony make TV's they know better how far away mainstream 4K is. 2013 seems too early for 4K but then 2023 would be way too late. Adding 4K in a refresher 'slim' model in a few years would seem to be a better choice, ignoring the upset fans who already purchased a console on day one. If the PS4 makes more people buy Sony TV's then they'd also be pretty happy. Then Sony also has it's own music and mobile phone division to link up with.

• 1 month later...

Well this thread was popular :lol:

Anyway Sony have teased a big PlayStation related announcement/event occurring on February 20 2013 which tech sites expect is to do with the PlayStation 4. What kind of stuff are you expecting to see? What new input novelties? New games from popular series, and so no?

The whole "no used games" thing is a bunch of horseradish. It would kill a massive part of the gaming industry and sales would suffer, I've heard the same rumours from Microsoft, it's just silly people speculating about silly things.

I'm very interested to see if Microsoft jumps to Blu-Ray or finds some other way to bring large games without 2 discs. It's annoying swapping back and forth..