We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Game won't start, says DSS wrapper is too old

BanditoBurrito

Hi guys! Good to see this forum is still active. On a whim today I decided to download TDU1 again and play it for old time's sake. I downloaded it and installed it, and it played great! Then I downloaded the megapack (legit, paid for it on gamesplanet years ago) and installed it, and now it gives me an error message (it won't let me post a link to a picture of it, but it says: "The wrapper version of DSS is too old, it can not be used with this version of the API. Please protect the application with the latest version of DSS!") I've never seen this error message before. I don't know what DSS means. I'm really confused. And I can't find any information anywhere on the internet about it. I've tried deleting TDU, reinstalling it, applying patch 1.66a, and then reinstalling the megapack, but right after installing 1.66a the message would come up again. I would really appreciate if you guys could help, I'd love to go on a nostalgia trip again with this game. Thank you guys in advance!

I think you are the first to tell that problem, never eard of it :confused: The only idea I've got right now is did you checked your megapack key, I think you should re-enter the key in active-add-on. I don't really know :ill:

No, my key had to have been right. Wouldn't it tell me if it was wrong? Seems whenever I use anything other than the game version 1.45a it gives me that error. It's also started crashing when I go into the map now. :(

rebelinho: How would I go about getting a cracked exe? I bought the game legally and downloaded it from Gamefly. Using any version other than 1.45a breaks it.

Diablo: Did you mean post the ones to the game? If so I dont think I can since they're tied to my account. Im using Windows 7 home premium 64bit. I'll be glad to provide more details if you need them

at least with me there have been situations in which I legitimtelly updated legally bought games, and they stopped working. After using a reloaded exe they worked again (Medal of Honor: PA). in TDU this might work even better because the exe version doesn't change, so you can't go wrong with any exe you choose.

are you sure you installed the patches and megapack in the right order? 1st game, then megapack, then patch 1.68b? also remember that installing megapack after magicmap may cause the game to crash, it has happened to me already.

either way this is a really weird problem, I've done a bit of searching and nothing appeared about the DSS wrapper or even DSS. I can't help much more than this :(

at least with me there have been times were I legitimtelly updated legally bought games, and they stopped working. After using a reloaded exe they worked again (Medal of Honor: PA). in TDU this might work even better because the exe version doesn't change, so you can´t go worng with any exe you chose.

are you sure you installed the patches and megapack in the right order? 1st game, then megapack, then patch 1.68b? also remember that installing megapack after magicmap may cause the game to crash, it has happened to me already.

either way this is a really weird problem, I've done a bit of searching and nothing appear about the DSS wrapper or even DSS. I can't help much more than this :(

I've tried: 1) the unpatched game itself, which works fine, but weird physics and crashes when I load the map; 2) installing megapack, then updating to patch 1.66a, which resulted in the DSS wrapper error; and 3) installing the game, then 1.68b, then megapack. Putting anything in on top of the regular, unpatched game itself causes the DSS wrapper issue.

I really appreciate you trying to help, even if it hasn't gotten very far lol. Do you know where I could find a patched exe, or are we not allowed to talk about that here?

Try installing new graphics card drivers.

I have the latest ones already. Thanks though

if you're saying that running the game alone causes some sort of crashes I suppose the main problems are within the game installation. some corrupted files maybe? if you are installing from a CD maybe it is scratched?

ryzza's idea seems good too

and you have a PM

I don't understand why it would be corrupted though, it worked just fine the last time I tried it a year or two ago. I'll check your pm and try that.

I got it working for the most part. rebelinho sent me some info in a PM and my game works now, but still crashes whenever I try to go into the map. That seems to be the only issue so far, I can buy cars and go into buildings just fine, but as soon as I load the map now it crashes with the "TestDriveUnlimited has stopped working" message.

--- Post Updated ---

Got it working! I just had to fiddle with the map controls a little bit and it works like a charm now. The dealer with the Kawasaki ZX12R doesn't work, but I can live with that. Thank you guys for all your help!! :cool:

• 6 months later...
I got it working for the most part. rebelinho sent me some info in a PM and my game works now, but still crashes whenever I try to go into the map. That seems to be the only issue so far, I can buy cars and go into buildings just fine, but as soon as I load the map now it crashes with the "TestDriveUnlimited has stopped working" message.

--- Post Updated ---

Got it working! I just had to fiddle with the map controls a little bit and it works like a charm now. The dealer with the Kawasaki ZX12R doesn't work, but I can live with that. Thank you guys for all your help!! :cool:

What do I have to do to get mine started because I am having the exact same problem you had.