We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Recommend me a GT4 racing sim game for PC please :)

pete_agreatguy

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get a PC racing/driving simulation game whilst the sales are on.

I've been wanting something like GT4 for PS2 / Forza for Xbox. Where by you have to earn your cars. Where you can also upgrade them. Then enter certain races or events.

A friend suggested GRID to me. He said in his view it was better than the current releases Grid 2 and Grid Autosport.

Please recommend.

All opinions and views are important.

Feel free to link me to reviews [if permitted?].

Thanks all!

PC Specs are as follows ...

Custom built gaming rig ...

Case = Corsair Obsidian 750D with Bitfenix 140mm Spectre Pro fans for cooling

CPU = Intel i7 920 overclocked at 4GHz

RAM = 6GB DDR3 (overclocked)

HDD = SSD (x2) one is OS and I have a gaming one too!

Graphics = EVGA nVidia 760GTX 2GB

OS = Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

The older GTR and Race games are really good but may look a bit dated now. Present day offerings are the free-to-play Raceroom from the same devs as the previously mentioned games and Assetto Corsa which is from the same people behind netKAR Pro. There isn't unfortunately anything akin to Forza and GT on the PC at the moment but modding of many games usually brings extra cars and tracks so it's not a complete lost cause.

Get GTR2 and/or Race 07 (plus various expansion pack(s)) - you will want some sort of steering wheel for PC sims though.

GTR2 has events to unlock tracks. There's not much in the PC-specific space for buying/unlocking/collecting cars. NFS Shift games probably come close. As do the DiRT and GRID series, although you may already have played them on console.

If you really want to grind for cars, try out SimRaceWay and/or Auto Club Revolution which are free. They encourage you to spend real money on cars but they can be unlocked for free by grinding. Personally I think SRW has the best model. RaceRoom on the other hand doesn't let you do much more for free than a demo for a full game. GRID Autosport is 75% off on Steam today, but despite purchasing it months ago I've never played it so can't offer a review.

So my two picks to start off with are SimRaceWay (free) and GTR2 (very cheap on Steam). Put the money towards a wheel such as a Logitech DFGT or G25/27 on eBay if you have limited funds.

Hey pete, loved GT4 with my Driving Force Pro back many years ago, such a fun experience and the amount of cars is still hard to beat even today. Recommend taking a Honda NSX Type-R around the ring as first of all it has a decent sound and secondly it's not an easy to handle car so keeps you well on your toes!

Also if you take any Photomode/Phototravel shots pelase do share them with us. :D