We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

A good racing game...

Vic 2.0

I'm lookin for one. But there are two things of which at least one always pops up every time I try a new racing game these days:

1. Rubberband A.I.

2. Not being able to use the same car in almost every race.

For me, what keeps me from enjoying building up a car just the way I like it is that my opponents can always catch up to me by magically becoming faster every time I'm ahead of them. It's either that, or I can't actually get used to driving the car of my choice because I'm forced to race in several different types of cars just to get through a tournament or the storyline (depending on type of game). I'm not much concerned with whether the game is "arcade" or "simulator", so long as I can actually get the hang of driving a vehicle without having to switch to an entirely different one every other race!

Oh, and I'd like for it to be an open world racer but am not interested in GTA or the like. Is there any hope for me? Do any of you know a game that might satisfy? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Can you write down games you have already tried? :)

Only three fairly recent games I've played are Midnight Club: LA, Grid, and one of the Need for Speed games, can't remember. I'm looking at Forza Horizons 2 right now (I'd have to buy the X360 version) and everything looks great about it but it could be a trap!

Are we looking for X360 only are other formats? The PGR games are really good racers and I don't remember too much rubber banding in them when I think back. They aren't really open-world though the circuit layouts are extremely well done and last a good amount of time per lap.

The original Forza Horizon would still be worth a grab too, if you liked it then the sequel would be the next logical step as it's pretty much more of the same.

Would there be any need to get Forza Horizons 1 before 2? Like, is there a story you have to follow or something? I did also have PGR4, and it was great but again I had to change vehicles too much, which is the other problem I'm trying to avoid in my next racing game. Do you know if Forza Horizons 2 makes you do that? Race in different vehicles a whole lot? Or can you do most races in your favorite vehicle?

And yes, it would have to be Xbox 360.

Nah there's no real story that goes anywhere or needs to be known, it's just your typical complete races and beat the best. Those games do have you changing cars or specs in order to compete in races however you don't have to do them. If you choose to go this route then acquiring money will be harder, yes there are side aspects with wrecks and the online games can pay relatively well but natural game progression requires the need to complete challenges and do the races.

If PGR4 was a too changey for you then especially due to being only on the 360 there aren't many free to roam games available, you would need to look to PC for them instead.

TDU2 could be an option but its handling is pretty awful.

Those games do have you changing cars or specs in order to compete in races however you don't have to do them

Which games, Forza Horizons 2? I'm fine with optional challenges requiring me to race in different vehicles; I just don't want to have it forced on me. Someone at Amazon told me I could do any race with any car, though...

And I'm actually fine with it taking a while to gain money; makes it feel like more of a project that way.

Would you guys say Forza Horizons 2 is a better game overall than the NFS games?

Yeah FH/FH2 will have you changing cars at times, the amazon responder no doubt means you can tune a car to the spec required to enter but that doesn't mean you can reduce a McLaren to complete with a stock Focus for example. The Forza games have a ton of polish on them and the handling is more on the authentic scale than easy to drive arcade - think PGR but with more weight type thing. :)

Perhaps Project CARS. All the cars are unlocked from the start, so you can just go to Race Weekend mode and customise the race you want. There's no rubber band AI. If you set them to a higher skill level than yourself, they'll leave you behind.

The career mode is more about being a successful driver, getting noticed by other discipline scouts, and winning achievements.

Yeah FH/FH2 will have you changing cars at times, the amazon responder no doubt means you can tune a car to the spec required to enter but that doesn't mean you can reduce a McLaren to complete with a stock Focus for example. The Forza games have a ton of polish on them and the handling is more on the authentic scale than easy to drive arcade - think PGR but with more weight type thing. :)

Cool, cool. But there's a good variety of choices within each class? I am still leaning toward that one, as I like the idea of an open world and it looks like it has good graphics (even on the 360). I just don't want many of the races to kick my ass to the point of ragequitting and never picking it back up again; I'm sure you can relate. I didn't bother finishing Midnight Club: L.A. or doing those endurance runs on PGR4, for example, it was just too ridiculous, IMO.

I don't remember any of the GTR or even GTL having rubberband AI. And they have some of the most realistic physics ever, and will run maxed out in pretty much any decent computer (even on those where pcars is likely to not even start).

Also, rubberband AI supposes they will get thrown back when leading by a mile, which doesn't happen :lol: maybe "logarithmic AI" is better, they are fastest when they are the farest (is this a word?) from you if behind, and will stabilize when leading. (Sorry, I'm studying complex analysis and math is what my brain runs on right now :nuts:)

pfft poor guy :)

Race Pro is kinda a sim, but I wouldn't suggest it as a 'fun' game. Maybe try Ferrari Racing Legends game as it had hard AI beyond the vintage era if I recall correctly.

Was the poor guy for me? :D

TD:FRL is just like NFS Shift (floating cars, at least in PC) with just.... Ferraris. Nevertheless a good game, if only by the amazing cars it has.

was @ Vic who is limited to driving games on the X360, in response to Diablo ;)

There was a a decent game called Supercar Challenge that had handling similar to GT5 Prologue (but I can't recall what the AI were like), but I've got no idea if it was on X360 (I had it on PS3).