We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow looks like they just blew up the XE.

That's a bit harsh Tim, it doesn't look that bad.

I've only seen pics of the top spec version, most likely with every optional extra so I'll wait until I see a base spec before properly judging it.

Jag also win the award for the most impressively pointless PR stunt:

jaguar_xf_stunt_03_0_0.jpg?itok=7r8oKJDr

That's a bit harsh Tim, it doesn't look that bad.

but it still looks pretty nice non-the-less.
He didn't say it did. :p I personally really like the look of the XE so I don't mind that the XF has copied it at all but it's just a bit boring that almost all car manufacturers these days seem to have fired everyone who had any sense of creativity. I still honestly cannot tell the new Mercedes S- and C-classes apart because the C is such a carbon copy of the S.

Front: Current XF/XJ

Rear: XE/Audi A5

Interior: in black it's too dark without any contrasting trims and bits.

I'm not saying it looks bad, though. I like it quite a lot. The current one isn't bad either considering it's been, what, seven eight years?

personally really like the look of the XE so I don't mind that the XF has copied it at all but it's just a bit boring that almost all car manufacturers these days seem to have fired everyone who had any sense of creativity. I still honestly cannot tell the new Mercedes S- and C-classes apart.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Not a fan of this trend... And it's funny you're mentioning the C and S-class because this week I saw a white AMG Line S-classs... Or was it a C-class? For God's sake to this date I still don't know which one it was. :eek: And I'm usually good at this stuff.

He didn't say it did. :p I personally really like the look of the XE so I don't mind that the XF has copied it at all but it's just a bit boring that almost all car manufacturers these days seem to have fired everyone who had any sense of creativity. I still honestly cannot tell the new Mercedes S- and C-classes apart because the C is such a carbon copy of the S.

I was attempting to be funny by interpreting tim's post as him saying the XF was an XE that had Blown Up, but I obviously failed :p

Yeah I agree that Ian Callum's getting an easy paycheck here, minimalism isn't awful but it doesn't give these cars any special personalities or characteristics. I'm hoping the stance/scale difference of the XE/XF makes it easier to spot the difference compared to the C and S as you mentioned. I think it's a great thing for a C-Class owner for people to confuse it with an S (though I couldn't buy a C-Class anyway until they fix that ridiculous floating screen, how gaudy).

Front: Current XF/XJ

Rear: XE/Audi A5

Interior: in black it's too dark without any contrasting trims and bits.

I'm not saying it looks bad, though. I like it quite a lot. The current one isn't bad either considering it's been, what, seven eight years?

You can get a good variety of interior leather shades etc I think so I'd probably go for something other than black to avoid what you said. I've had a look at the XE config and all the trim/veneer options seem quite dark which is an oversight I think, some aluminium would go a long way into transforming the interior. The XF has held up well if you're in the used market I guess, but for a fair few years it's not really held its own against its competitors which I think might have harmed its sales figures.

Another thing worth noting is the headlight LED design. Even though the headlight shape is different to the XE the LED design is almost identical.

Which is crap. Even though Audi's design can be very generic from one model to the next, you can easily differentiate between an RS4 and an RS6 for example just from their LEDs.

Yup.

I'm with *someone* on C-Classes and S-Classes though. If you get a side on view you can usually tell because of the size. Otherwise you're screwed. :lol:

I'm with Tomas on C-Classes and S-Classes though. If you get a side on view you can usually tell because of the size. Otherwise you're screwed. :lol:

I brought those up, not him :cry:

I agree that I would rather have the XE though, I'd like a smaller car as it'd just be easier to live with in general. :hmmm: Plus it looks like they started working from the rear on the XF and then someone just forgot to redraw the front, it looks exactly the same as the old one to me.

I brought those up, not him :cry:

I agree that I would rather have the XE though, I'd like a smaller car as it'd just be easier to live with in general. :hmmm: Plus it looks like they started working from the rear on the XF and then someone just forgot to redraw the front, it looks exactly the same as the old one to me.

Haha yes, that's exactly what it's like. :nods:

2015 Mercedes Benz GLE:

merc-gle-2015-014.jpg?itok=qKszCn8d

merc-gle-2015-005.jpg?itok=srBKBCld

merc-gle-2015-017.jpg?itok=XUDbjWIv

merc-gle-2015-002.jpg?itok=S7J-_mA2

Pic source: Autocar

- Hybrid version available, 78g/km emissions and up to 86mpg. 436bhp and can travel for 18 miles on just electric power.

- It's got those awful integrated exhaust tips.

- It is distinctly meh is this thing, and how distinctly :eek: is the front bumper of that AMG version.

- The Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S (which to me takes the award for the worst name from the Mclaren MP4-12C) has 577bhp and 0-60 in 4.2.

This thing doesn't seem to have found a comfortable place in the market in my opinion, the RR is the offroader and luxury interior one, the cayenne is the dynamic and sporty one, the Q7 is the ugly one, this one ain't pretty, but it doesn't seem to come best in any of those categories, is it the best all rounder (which I think was the range rover sport's area of expertise before this maybe)?

For those who wonder if Merc didn't already have a car like this: this is the facelift of the ML-Class (this GLE has the same internal code: W166). Mercedes is using a new naming system to make it more clear which cars share equipment/tech/structure. GL is now a prefix for off-roaders and SUV's, the letter behind it says which of the core models (C/E/S) it's based on. So like that you'll have a GLC (replacing GLK) and GLS (replacing GL). G-Class remains unchanged, so will SL. GLA already fits the system so won't be changed.

--

I like this one way better than the pre-facelift. Especially the AMG one, of which the ''old'' one seemed to have a front bumper slapped on the rear side. Front of the car, mostly the headlights, looks better too, although I wouldn't pick the car in white. The white one seems to have larger cheeks below the headlights than the blue one (perhaps blue makes that extra step better visible).

That said, ONCE AGAIN THAT FREAKING STUPID TABLET. Borders larger than those of old TV's, stupid ''free standing'' design. The whole center console looks clumsy btw, also because of the whole COMAND panel (why not that single controller... hello? idea?).

- tablet glued onto an outdated dash, they probably smoke weed everyday at MB and have a surplus of glue

- still has those "Chinese" rear lights

- 63 AMG front a bit better, although with even bigger air vents, in some pictures the front makes the car look higher and narrower than it actually is

- 63 AMG rear a bit better without those excessive fake air vents

- integrated exhaust tips (actual exhaust pipes visible behind those ugly things) = NOPE

- standard trim looks much better and I actually quite like the front (for reference)

Mercedes-Benz-GLE_63_AMG_2016_800x600_wallpaper_11.jpg

Sure, Heinz, I really do need tacky Android-based dials between the HVAC vents because why not, Heinz, I'm driving a two-tonne cow and I already have a flat-bottom steering with a racing stripe at 12'oclock because my steering rack is oh-so precise and also I have checkered instrument cluster.

There is no way I would get this over an X5, RR Sport, Cayenne and even a Touareg. I sincerely hope they had at least tweaked the suspension. I have been in a base ML without the Airmatic on 17" and it was a harsh ride and from what I have read on dem webz and magz, the Airmatic isn't the best either - competitors drive much better.

Is this counted as a facelift or a new generation (Having a new name might mean they count it as a new generation even though it technically isn't though? I dunno).

The interior doesn't feel like it's had half as much effort put into it as the C-Class which is a shame considering The ML did quite well in sales figures didn't it? From the rear or rear 3/4 view most people probably wouldn't tell the difference between this one and the previous version.

The tablet doesn't annoy me as much on this car for some reason, It puts me off the C-Class altogether (a bit dramatic I know) but I think the vents help blend it into the dash a bit here.

It's a facelift. As I mentioned, the car is still designated W166 (the equivalent of BMW's E/F codes, or Audi's B/D codes). The pre-facelift ML that will now disappear has that code too (W163 and W164 were the previous two ML generations). Only the GLE Coupe is a new generation, it also has its own code which is C292.

Your Merc nerdy-ness comes in handy sometimes :cheeky:

That explains that though I guess, I feel like it was time for a new generation for this car tbh, its competitors are too far ahead now.

Well it's been in production since 2011. Facelifts usuall come after 3 or 4 years and it's mostly mid-life work. So in 2018 we should be done with this thing. No idea about competitors... I'm not that much into SUV's really. I can imagine an X5 and Cayenne being better at stuff than the ML, including in styling.

Is this counted as a facelift or a new generation (Having a new name might mean they count it as a new generation even though it technically isn't though? I dunno).

:eek: Merc is not VW and their half-assed brand new generations that are actually larger facelifts.

Merc is re-doings its naming system as Helmy said:

model-naming.jpg?itok=0Vd5_pPm

powertrain-names.jpg?itok=0kJh8uve

--- Post Updated ---

Also...

AMG GT Black Series has hit the Ring. :yay:

mercedes-amg-gt-black-series-prototype-front-three-quarter-view.jpg

BMW M2 is now in the final stage of testing. :yay:

5C4_9364.jpg

BMW 1 Series sedan has also hit the Ring. The beginning of the end of RWD 1 Series. -_-

5C4_8449.jpg

:eek: Merc is not VW and their half-assed brand new generations that are actually larger facelifts.

Merc is re-doings its naming system as Helmy said:

http://img2.autoweek.com/styles/gen-738-415/public/model-naming.jpg?itok=0Vd5_pPm

http://img2.autoweek.com/styles/gen-738-415/public/powertrain-names.jpg?itok=0kJh8uve

--- Post Updated ---

Also...

AMG GT Black Series has hit the Ring. :yay:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/1503_2017_mercedes_amg_gt_black_series_spied_at_the_ring/87998295/mercedes-amg-gt-black-series-prototype-front-three-quarter-view.jpg

BMW M2 is now in the final stage of testing. :yay:

http://www.2addicts.com/goodiesforyou/m/m2/f87/spyshots/3-25-15/5C4_9364.jpg

BMW 1 Series sedan has also hit the Ring. The beginning of the end of RWD 1 Series. -_-

http://f20.1addicts.com/goodiesforyou/1/f52/spypics/3-18-15/5C4_8449.jpg

That 1 series looks so wrong... you can practically tell it's not RWD by looking at it. Wrong wrong wrong. :p