We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

VW were always a bit behind when it came to doing an R-Line type model for the Golf, it was dying out for stylish (well, for a golf) alternatives to base engines. It might have tried it with different trim lines previous to now, but not to this extent.

This has to be one of the most subtle exterior changes I've ever seen, obviously new wheels and new r-line bumpers but the rest :shrug: The interior is looking good.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be what they want. Maybe somewhere people don't wanna visit their customers in Audi's because of a certain image, so VAG can sell them a high-spec Golf instead.

But maybe that's far thinking, I only heard the above example about Mercs and BMW's here, dunno how it goes in the Audi world.

I'm curious about this one :hmmm: The main reason someone would want a Maybach is for the comfy out of this world back seats usually, no? I do think this will be impressive but it does raise a few questions. Does this not now undermine the purpose of other S-Class cabrios? They're statement cars, and the biggest statement is having the most expensive one.

Yeah, right? I guess the name "S 650" maybe means a new engine variant that would be only for the Maybach? :shrug: AutoBild reports that it will be limited to 300 pcs. No idea why...

Limited production makes it more logical I guess, they can charge a hell of a lot for that but then they risk of encroaching on the Rolls Royce Dawn, which instahoes and rappers and even people with class would much rather own. Rolls Royce Dawn costs £264k in the UK, the current S63 Coupe costs £130ish. Where will this fall? If it falls around the £180 or more then I think people would be stupid to not just get the Dawn as they can obviously afford it.

After all, would you rather have a almost 200k car that looks like a £25k C-Class, or a baller Rolls with that huge grille up front? :p

Edit: Forgot the Bentley Continental GT, which I guess this rivals. I do think I'd still have the Bentley but that's a lot more subjective than with the Dawn. The Maybach will be a better car though, but the GT is nearing the end of its product cycle so the Merc should thrash it tbh.

Edit 2: I'd have the DB11 cabrio that is no doubt in the pipeworks. The cabrio will do away with one of the most questionable design parts of the DB11, its C pillar. Yes please.

Don't you have an S 65 cab in the UK? That one costs €255k in Germany. There's about a 20k difference between a S 600 L and 600 Maybach so I guess it the new cab could get close to 290 maybe? That is getting way to close to a Dawn, and of course I'd go for the Roller. Always.

IMHO the Maybach is now more of a trim level than a standalone model. #understatement

Don't you have an S 65 cab in the UK? That one costs €255k in Germany. There's about a 20k difference between a S 600 L and 600 Maybach so I guess it the new cab could get close to 290 maybe? That is getting way to close to a Dawn, and of course I'd go for the Roller. Always.

IMHO the Maybach is now more of a trim level than a standalone model. #understatement

Ah yeah the S65 :hmmm: They do sell them over here AFAIK, I just didn't think there was that big a jump in price between the 63 and 65 but that isn't the case, it's huge :eek:

I like that the Maybach is a trim level rather than a standalone, Merc never had the balls to make Maybachs cray and out-there, so this is a good compromise. But yeah, DB11 or Dawn please.

Still don't get why it has to be a Maybach, maybe it's their solution to sell S65 performances/driveline in a higher-spec S-convertible because Merc seems to have phased out the 600 label for everything that isn't an S-Class 4-door. Maybe selling it as a Maybach S650 makes it less screamy/sporty than an S65 AMG or something? And they can keep getting a nice profit if it basically is a rebadged S65... here in Holland an S63 and S65 are about 100K apart from eachother.

Only difference from a regular S Convertible so far seems to be it will be available in red :lol:

Saw some talking about a new electric Jaguar.... well here it is: the I-Pace.

Production starts in 2018. The concept is said to have 400hp and 700Nm torque, good for a 0-100km/h (0-62mph) sprint of around 4 seconds. It has liquid-cooled 90kWh lithium-ion batteries and can drive up to 500 kilometers (NEDC cycle) - 80% recharging takes 90 minutes, and fully recharging takes 120 minutes.

I quite like it, mainly because it doesn't look as stupid or expressive as other EV's have to look like.

Jaguar-I-PACE-Concept-001.jpg

Jaguar-I-PACE-Concept-003.jpg

Jaguar-I-PACE-Concept-004.jpg

Jaguar-I-PACE-Concept-006.jpg

Jaguar-I-PACE-Concept-2016-004.jpg

I think it's good they chose for this shape, as they announced, a kind of cross-over between a regular sedan and an SUV. Bit unusual perhaps but not bad. Mind they also have the F-Pace of which an electric version would be in development at the moment, so those who want an SUV can get that instead.

Here is the Maybach in all its glory.

It's just an S 65 with an additional zero on the trunk... The only new thing, technically, is the ugly chrome trim, new wheels, additional badges and wood trim. Oh and you get a car cover, bags and a signed certificate from Dr. Z himself. :p Costs €350k incl. VAT in Germany - about 80 more than a similarly-equipped AMG S 65.

01-2017-mercedes-maybach-s650-cabrio-la-1.jpg

08-2017-mercedes-maybach-s650-cabrio-la-1.jpg

Mercedes-Maybach-S-650-Cabrio-Sperrfrist-16-11-05-00-Uhr-fotoshowBig-71650372-989579.jpg

2018-Mercedes-Maybach-S650-cabriolet-114-876x535.jpg

Why get a Mercedes when you can have a Rolls-Royce for a bit more?

AR Stelvio QV

afph60_7229-1.jpg?itok=rHkivCnX

afph60_7313-1.jpg?itok=kkh_aMTn

afph60_7329-1.jpg?itok=f-M5BZN_

Size of a Macan, 510PS QV drivetrain from the Giulia. Looks a lot like the Giulia, too. :hmmm:

Lol @ the key on that Maybach, I mean, some (not all tbf) manufacturers try to disguise that you can get the same key on a sub £30k car as you can on a £300k, but not merc!

That's a rather nice looking car from Alfa right there. Will there be a manual in the slower versions in europe or is it the 8-speed across the board?

Aston have updated the Vanquish, this is now the Vanquish S, I'd presumed they were getting rid of this for the DB11 but obvs not :shrug:

vanquish_s_07.jpg?itok=_rsWizON

vanquish_s_06.jpg?itok=9o-axpTX

images from Top Gear | The world’s greatest car website

I like the Jaguar, it looks modern without trying too hard to look futuristic which is a syndrome I find most electric cars suffer from.

Also, why does that Maybach convertible even exist? Noise, wind, outer elements, I feel it violates everything Maybach stands for. Why get that instead of a normal S-class?

That's a rather nice looking car from Alfa right there. Will there be a manual in the slower versions in europe or is it the 8-speed across the board?

Not much is known about the car yet, but I suspect that the base diesel will have a manual like the Giulia.

Also, why does that Maybach convertible even exist? Noise, wind, outer elements, I feel it violates everything Maybach stands for. Why get that instead of a normal S-class?

Yeah, I don't get it. :shrug: I guess the Maybachs are selling well and Merc's found out that there are people who would like one without a roof. They could get the S 65, but it may not be exclusive enough for them? I mean, it's still got MB badges all over the place... They must know why they are doing it.

Basically the only competitor for the car is the RR Dawn and Bentley GT C. I believe there is not any other super-lux four-door cabriolet on the market.

Yesterday, websites reported that McLaren boss Ron Dennis is leaving the highest position in the company after more than three decades. And today the company confirmed that there's a three-seater in the works, BP23. :eek: It will be a "HyperGT", a super fast hybrid GT with three seats. Production starts in 2019, 106 will be made and all have already been sold.

mclaren-f1-teaser.jpg

Liking the Alfa, liking the Aston even more. I wonder how well Alfa will do with these new models. The looks are in the bag already.

That S650 imo is a bit of another unnecessary call, maybe they're earning so much money they don't know how to spend it anymore. The luggage set and wheels seem to be the only thing different from what you can get on a normal S, the ''limited to 300 units'' makes me wonder if they'd even get more than 300 orders if it would nót be limited-run. It's not offering anything else/special, that would make me think it's a Maybach instead of a regular Merc. This is just downgrading a good name. The old 57 and 62 weren't The Very Best Of but at least they were quite a bit special compared to a regular S-Class. Talking about the key... it júst got announced and it's already behind on the E-Class key fob which can even be ordered in 4 different finishes. The Maybach-logo backplate looks like an aliexpress thought, for a 300K car I would have put a bit more effort into it, like the Spyker, Koenigsegg or Pagani Huryaryayrayryarya fobs.

Why get a Mercedes when you can have a Rolls-Royce for a bit more?

Because Rolls-Royces imo look too bulky, too boxy, too big. Maybe somebody prefers the design of the car over the badge, name or bonnet statue or the fact the centercaps stay upright while driving. Aka: taste.

Also' date=' why does that Maybach convertible even exist? Noise, wind, outer elements, I feel it violates everything Maybach stands for. Why get that instead of a normal S-class?[/color']

Maybach is just a label now, nothing more special than Ford's Vignale. The only thing it stands for now is nearly-completely-closed wheels and a longer wheelbase than long wheelbase... and you're already missing the latter on this S cabriolet.

So Mercedes have given a bit more information about their upcoming hypercar, confirming that it will have around 1000bhp but definitely no more than 1200bhp with numbers limited to 200-300 units.

My only wish is that the Merc hypercar is released roughly the same time as the AM-RB 001 so that we don't have to wait too long to compare the two, just like the P1/918/LaFiat were quite close.

I wonder if Jaguar are regretting not going through with the CX-75 now that all these cray cars are being developed.