We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Say goodbye to Securom and SafeDisc

Ryzza5

You may have encountered Securom and Safedisc if you were a PC gamer more than 7 years ago. These technologies were controversial forms of DRM, the former being used by many titles from 2003-2008. They were deeply embedded into the Operating System as Services, they often weren't removed when you uninstalled the related game, and in some instances allowed remote backdoor access into your PC. To this day, they continue to be exploitable vulnerabilities for the malicious types out there.

Well these games simply do not work in Windows 10, as reported last month. At all. Microsoft made this decision in favour improving Operating System security, and now they're extending that to Windows 7 + 8 via an update.

If you own an affected game, what can you do?

* Repurchase the game online from Steam or Good Old Games.

* Hide the specific KB3086255 Windows Update to prevent it installing on Windows 7/8

* Attempt to sign the driver yourself: Test-Signing a Driver File - Windows 10 hardware dev

* Find another version of the executable file which probably has its own security concerns included.

The fact that Microsoft takes it into their own hands to keep us "safe" while at the same time including all sorts of hidden data being sent to them without you knowing is total BS.

I have games that I have paid for and should be able to use whenever I want to. If the sole reason I can't is because they say so they should reimburse me for it frankly. I am sure as hell not going to pay a second time for games I already own.

And I've just this minute installed 10 on my PC, which is primarily used for gaming. :fp:

Shouldn't really be an issue for me though as most of my games are now in Steam. Wonder if I could game on a VM Win 7. :hmmm:

Yup, same here. Although for some reason it updated without asking me, I turned it on one morning and BAM! Windows 10 right in my face.