We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Toyota Mirai Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle reviewed in the UK. Prius 2.0?

Ryzza5

Unfortunately none of us are likely to afford a ludicrous Tesla P87D in a hurry, and all the other electric vehicles out there are just, meh. (Ok, maybe not the BMW i8). And that's not even bringing up how long it takes to charge the batteries via a conventional GPO.

A few years back we were advised to keep an eye on hydrogen fuel cell technology, and this year seen the limited production run of Toyota's Mirai.

The fullychargedshow share some first impressions:

My first impression is... why can't they put a nice center console like that in their Corolla?

Oh right, well um, it looks and seems decent (there are a few weird contours on the body, and the part of the dash behind the steering wheel annoys me, but overall it appears to be a good enough first attempt.

What thinks you?

Yes, they need to realise that if they design it to look like a normal car it'll be far more approachable to the average (non-hipster) joe. They'll sell more, they can further the technology. Simples! I do like the interior though, it's very nice. However with 3 or 4 places to fill up in the UK, you're probably going to run into an issue there. Personally I think petrol/electric hybrid is the way to go for now.

That's one of the reasons the Tesla and Volvo's sell so good. They look normal, unsuspecting. One might say bland/dull, but the proportions are right and they don't pretend to be anything super ultra special. Classy cars. But ye, gadget generation, marketing department ran by google boys/girls, if it is different it hás to look different.

I am interested in how hydrogen vehicles will do, I think it does have some potential, at least as much as pure electric cars. It's too bad the crowd here thinks of Tsar Bomba and friends when they hear ''hydrogen'', making it hard to sell such cars, making it not always desirable for a brand to develop it.

That's one of the reasons the Tesla and Volvo's sell so good. They look normal, unsuspecting. One might say bland/dull, but the proportions are right and they don't pretend to be anything super ultra special. Classy cars. But ye, gadget generation, marketing department ran by google boys/girls, if it is different it hás to look different.

Also the reason why Audis and Golfs are so popular... but oh, it looks the same and dull and it's bad and boring :insane:

Always wondered why there was so much focus on electric/hybrid cars rather than HFC cars. iirc they had working HFC cars 5 or 6 years ago. It just seems like a much more usable concept than electric cars and more green than traditional hybrid cars.

But for the love of Camels, why make these cars so damn ugly. Make them look nice or at least normal and more people will be interested in them. Unless that's what they don't want right now due to production times or whatever. :shrug:

I was wondering how a hydrogen engine sounds compared to petrol/diesel, but it appears they only work as electricity generators for the singular electric engine.

Yeah, I didn't realise this until now. I thought it was a some-what conventional engine powered by hydrogen instead of petrol, rather than a substitute for a battery for electric motors. :hmmm:

I have no idea what sort of power it makes either, but wikipedia tells me it'll do 0-60mph in 9.0 seconds. Not bad really, it's not a sports car, it's a big heavy family thing.

For now.

In the future there should be many more, like the "quick charge" points for electric cars. And then all they'll need to do is make the cars look nice and climate change will be solved! :leaves:

Except there's still a lot of not-quick charge points in the UK, and companies are starting to rip people off with monthly subscriptions that only work with their company, etc :( What you need is one that'll recharge by regenerative braking, or wait 20 years for the price to go down and buy an i8 :lol: