We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

rFactor 2 DirectX 11 Beta

sti228

As announced a few weeks ago, Studio 397 will be releasing a major milestone for rFactor 2 today as players will get their hands on a DirectX 11 equipped beta of the title.

This marks a major milestone for rFactor 2’s graphics as the title will finally be able to support modern technologies such as virtual reality and more modern looking visuals.

Until the beta is available for download later today, you can check out a preview video of rFactor 2 in DirectX 11 below.

Open Beta with DirectX 11 and Virtual Reality Support !

So they've just put a blue tinge filter over the top and called it a day??? It still looks like a very old game :confused:

I don't mind that in itself of course, but it doesn't seem to add up to all the marketing hoo-hah but rather seems like something that should be one line of 50 in some patch notes.

Like Rasta said in youtube comments

Only in graphics, because physics RF2 is miles forward from all the others.

6665ee87f31f.jpg

This is still early beta tests for VR support and DX11. They will improve performance and graphics with time. Also all content need rebuild and updates, because they are outdated.

rFactor 2 "The Road Ahead" DX11 Update.. err Update..

Really? I find that hard to believe, based on the videos I've seen anyway. I find AC to be much more authentic, and it's not as if I'm an AC fanboy either. Besides the physics I think it's really lacking. I guess I'll have to try the rF2 demo :hmmm:

Really? I find that hard to believe, based on the videos I've seen anyway. I find AC to be much more authentic, and it's not as if I'm an AC fanboy either. Besides the physics I think it's really lacking. I guess I'll have to try the rF2 demo :hmmm:

Yes, tire physics is just mind blowing in rFactor 2 and very complicated. Niels Heusinkveld talking about this in his

. Wait a little and try a demo after final release of DX11 support.

I have plenty of respect for all 3 titles and more besides. I've heard great things about the physics and AI of rF2. The actual development for the software as a whole however seems to be going at a snails pace, as if by the time they're ready to leave beta we might be up to DirectX 13.

AC gets a whole lot immersive nuances across very nicely, but modders who have dug beneath the surface claim that while stock cars do indeed feel nice, things aren't really being simulated (or calculated, I suppose), such that the end goal is more important than the method of achievement. Which in many respects is true. It's hard to know where they'll be in a few years after selling to new owners and struggling to meet expectations for the console versions. Hopefully they have an amazing sequel in a couple of years.

Project CARS is an interesting one. The WMD platform both made pC the game everyone loves to hate, but it also directed a whole lot of profit directly into the development budget for a sequel, rather than mostly being diverted to publishers. So what we have now is a development studio with good history in terms of classic sims and they also have both the ambition and financial freedom to deliver something compelling. Interestingly, many oogle over GTR2 but never much is spoken of GTR1... perhaps history will repeat?

At least on PC we've never been locked to one dominant franchise, so it's a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win for us :)

I have plenty of respect for all 3 titles and more besides. I've heard great things about the physics and AI of rF2. The actual development for the software as a whole however seems to be going at a snails pace, as if by the time they're ready to leave beta we might be up to DirectX 13.

AC gets a whole lot immersive nuances across very nicely, but modders who have dug beneath the surface claim that while stock cars do indeed feel nice, things aren't really being simulated (or calculated, I suppose), such that the end goal is more important than the method of achievement. Which in many respects is true. It's hard to know where they'll be in a few years after selling to new owners and struggling to meet expectations for the console versions. Hopefully they have an amazing sequel in a couple of years.

Project CARS is an interesting one. The WMD platform both made pC the game everyone loves to hate, but it also directed a whole lot of profit directly into the development budget for a sequel, rather than mostly being diverted to publishers. So what we have now is a development studio with good history in terms of classic sims and they also have both the ambition and financial freedom to deliver something compelling. Interestingly, many oogle over GTR2 but never much is spoken of GTR1... perhaps history will repeat?

At least on PC we've never been locked to one dominant franchise, so it's a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win for us :)

I agree with this. I had a blast with rF1 but never tried rF2, and by the looks of this situation I won't be doing it. I've found that AC is the most balanced of the current gen sims, and the one that offers the best feel with a pad, I was never able to achieve good feel with pCARS and I'm really looking forward to see what SMS does with its sequel, we might see a "GTR2 effect" like Ryzza said above.

Kunos seems to have lost it a little bit, specially after the console release which has been, and still is, very troubled. Another downside of AC is the online part (for PC), which pCARS pulled it really nicely, whereas in AC you have to set up a server on another PC and it's complete pain in the a**, but you get some sort of private lobbies... I guess.

Anyways, landscape looks nice for PC racing sims with FM7 and pCARS2 on the near future. I just hope that FM doesn't get a troubled start like FH did...

Yeah I remember holding off buying a rF2 license a few years ago telling myself that I'll wait for them to finish... so I've still never tried it.

That said, I did purchase Automobolista (and also Stock Car) and have never once fired those sims up - partially because I've just hardly ever setup my wheel since Rocket League came out.

It's a step up from what was before but it's still going to look dated compared to its competitors. As you have said though, the game is know for it's remarkable handling and tyre physics so for many fans it won't matter much to them. Bringing in new racers however, is a different matter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...