We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Smoking

iBilo

i agree also. i made an oath for myself. i will NEVER smoke a cig. not seeing my father was up to 2.5 packs a day. when i was still living @ home, i could hear him almost sounding like he was coughing up a lung. (i also hate his -explicit- guts, so i dont want to do whatever he does, which includes smoking)

(.......i even told the guys i work with, that if & when he gets put in the ground, i wont be @ the funeral. then go later on @ night, w/ a sledgehammer.... if you catch my drift :D )

I'm glad they put the Smoking Ban in Wales and England. Government finally come to their senses. And people who do smoke come up with the worst excuses like.

"If people don't like the smell of the smoke then why don't they just leave the pub." and a simple reply to this is. Why don't you stop being a selfish ....... and smoke outside.

I have never in my life smoked a cig, not even tried one but I have been round loads of people who have somked, so I've probably passive smoked a few boxes, but most of my mates are considerate and will move so smoke don't go in my face and most of them have cut right down since the the ban earlier this year.

I think the only time the smell really got to me was after being down the pub til late then waking up in the morning stinking, thats the only time it made me feel sick.

I'm glad they put the Smoking Ban in Wales and England. Government finally come to their senses. And people who do smoke come up with the worst excuses like.

"If people don't like the smell of the smoke then why don't they just leave the pub." and a simple reply to this is. Why don't you stop being a selfish ....... and smoke outside.

Same, loads of people have stopped since the ban came in.

Never tried never will. When I used to walk to school you to go down a very tight allyway and it was lined with people both side smaoking so you had hold you breath near enough as there was no proper air there and they you couldn't go fast becouse it was so tight. Was horrid. Its just so selfish making someone breath your smoke when they choose not just becouse you can't be bothered to go round the corner.

I agree with everyone in this topic so far. Smoking SUCKS. Never tried it never will. I really feel strongly towards smoking, basically because i see no point what-so-ever in it. It wastes your money, ruins your health, decreases your life expectancy and on top of that you get yellow teeth, stinking breath and smelling clothes. After all i have said in that short sentence would you try smoking just because it makes you look cool (or so they say!)?

I hate the idea. Sadly i have smoked, but only out of curiosity and it never been a habit/regular thing.

I really don't see the point. it tastes 'orrid and doesnt improve anything at all. really no loss from not smoking.

the hash is different but i shouldnt go onto it here...

Oh dear lord.

The entire smoking debate pisses me off royally because it is filled with trapdoors to insensitivity and comments based in speculations and ignorance.

For those of you here who claims to actually hate smokers for being selfish and inconsiderate, how about looking at your self for a bit? You're laughing at people standing out in the rain. Now I know I been raised better than to laugh at other people's misfortunes.

Government legislation has made sure that people who do smoke have nowhere to go other than outside, and if that consideration and acceptance towards others is followed, do these people really deserve to be pointed and laughed at? Hell I've even seen people getting yelled at by non-smokers. Getting compared to drug addicts and accused of actually killing other people.

So now they do. How is this different, from what you yourself experienced? The pettyness behind comments like this is what I find the must disgusting.

Have I smoked? Yes. I started smoking when I was 16 out of sheer stupidity. I stopped smoking january 1st last year. And I will tell you this:

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I spent the first week being edgy and unable to sleep. I'd get into discussions out of irritability mainly coz I needed my nicotine. It got gradually better over a few months and today I don't think about it in the normal days of the week. But when I drink a glass of red wine, or after a full meal I miss that one smoke. The sensation of relief and relaxation that surges through your body when the smoke fills your lungs.... I can feel it right now. And I know that I will have to deal with this urge for the rest of my life. I will never shake it. Furthermore it will take me ten years to have reduced the chance of cardio- or respiratory illnesses. And the worst part is that I have to deal with the fact that I am more than ten times more likely to develop lung cancer than a non-smoker and this never changes, no matter how long it takes.

All this because I was dumb enough to pick up smoking when I was 16 years old.

I went out of my way to be a considerate smoker. I never smoked in homes without smokers. I always left the room to smoke, if I was the only one.

Every time I hear some holier-than-thou idiot shout out to make sure the smokers can hear him: "Look at those fools. Standing out there in the rain." I want to cram a carton of smokes down his throat and make him go through what every smoker has to go through when they give it up. Then I want to kick his ass for being poorly brought up and an inconsiderate jerk.

my dad smokes but he hates it he says that hes going to give up at a certain age he just cant give it up he gets testy without it but i also made an oath that i will never put a cig in my mouth in my life if any body tries convincing me ill break there arms and shove the cig up there u know if they dont shut up soon

I hate smoking, it stinks. I won't ever do that in my life.

Better way to kill yourself is jumping in front of a train. Much shorter time, and won't hurt as much.

Could be very painful actually, especially if you survived the initial 'smash' and was laying there for hours and hours slowly dieing :p

Oh dear lord.

The entire smoking debate pisses me off royally because it is filled with trapdoors to insensitivity and comments based in speculations and ignorance.

For those of you here who claims to actually hate smokers for being selfish and inconsiderate, how about looking at your self for a bit? You're laughing at people standing out in the rain. Now I know I been raised better than to laugh at other people's misfortunes.

Government legislation has made sure that people who do smoke have nowhere to go other than outside, and if that consideration and acceptance towards others is followed, do these people really deserve to be pointed and laughed at? Hell I've even seen people getting yelled at by non-smokers. Getting compared to drug addicts and accused of actually killing other people.

So now they do. How is this different, from what you yourself experienced? The pettyness behind comments like this is what I find the must disgusting.

Have I smoked? Yes. I started smoking when I was 16 out of sheer stupidity. I stopped smoking january 1st last year. And I will tell you this:

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I spent the first week being edgy and unable to sleep. I'd get into discussions out of irritability mainly coz I needed my nicotine. It got gradually better over a few months and today I don't think about it in the normal days of the week. But when I drink a glass of red wine, or after a full meal I miss that one smoke. The sensation of relief and relaxation that surges through your body when the smoke fills your lungs.... I can feel it right now. And I know that I will have to deal with this urge for the rest of my life. I will never shake it. Furthermore it will take me ten years to have reduced the chance of cardio- or respiratory illnesses. And the worst part is that I have to deal with the fact that I am more than ten times more likely to develop lung cancer than a non-smoker and this never changes, no matter how long it takes.

All this because I was dumb enough to pick up smoking when I was 16 years old.

I went out of my way to be a considerate smoker. I never smoked in homes without smokers. I always left the room to smoke, if I was the only one.

Every time I hear some holier-than-thou idiot shout out to make sure the smokers can hear him: "Look at those fools. Standing out there in the rain." I want to cram a carton of smokes down his throat and make him go through what every smoker has to go through when they give it up. Then I want to kick his ass for being poorly brought up and an inconsiderate jerk.

You obviously have strong opinions here and normally agree with what you say on here but here I don't. I see you have had a very hard time giving up and it’s great that you have stuck with it. People here are having a go at inconsiderate and yes there are some considerate out there but really people who smoke in pubs are being inconsiderate, you are forcing people to breath your smoke here.

As for the drug addict comment, it’s a drug and people are addicted to it, the only difference is that this is legal in my view. I'm not saying here all drug addicts are horrid people and should be shot, just saying if you are addicted to chain smoking then surely you’re a drug addict, it’s like being an alcoholic. Maybe I’m wrong here but I don't know, there are different levels aren't there.

To be honest it’s a smokers fault for being a smoker and if they enjoy it fine as long as they don't force others to it though passive smoking.

Sorry but after seeing what it does to people I’m sure people can understand why they don't want to passive smoking and every reason is valid to me. I want to ask where are the "speculations" in people’s comments on this issue?

People are always going to generalise here as well, by smoker I and I’m sure most people mean inconsiderate smokers. I personally think all smokers are idiot but only dislike the inconsiderate ones.

Could be very painful actually, especially if you survived the initial 'smash' and was laying there for hours and hours slowly dieing :p

Sorry for double post but I don't think your going to survive beign hit by a train if its a fast one anyway, maybe if its going slow.

You obviously have strong opinions here and normally agree with what you say on here but here I don't. I see you have had a very hard time giving up and it’s great that you have stuck with it.

Thanks.

People here are having a go at inconsiderate and yes there are some considerate out there but really people who smoke in pubs are being inconsiderate, you are forcing people to breath your smoke here.

This is where it goes wrong. This statement claims that you have more right to be in a pub than a smoker has. The owner clearly decides to let in smokers or not, and by choose the former it IS your choice to go in or not.

Smoking when there are kids around, smoking when pregnant, smoking in other peoples homes. These things are objectionable and people who don't take their smokes should have a severe beating.

But a pub which allows smokers to smoke everywhere is the right of absolutely everyone.

I want to open a restaurant which doesn't allow children. It is the same thing. 18 years or above or you don't get in. Why? Because it will be a restaurant for couple to get away from children or where you get to conduct business. So why not let children in? Because they make noise and they are disturbing for the atmosphere. Why not teenagers? Because they cannot figure out how to dress themselves and will be disturbing to the customers who come there for the clear experience of being able to have a nice cozy dinner without being disturbed by the inconsiderates who fill their lives with visual and sonic pollution.

If you don't like it. You don't have to come. It is my right as owner of the place, and as long as people accord by the rules set by me they are more than welcome. Equally.

This is how it has been for ages. Some places do not allow smoking, others do. So why is it, that smokers should stop smoking in the places that you go, just because you don't smoke? Why is it that you can't go to the places which didn't allow smoking?

As for the drug addict comment, it’s a drug and people are addicted to it, the only difference is that this is legal in my view. I'm not saying here all drug addicts are horrid people and should be shot, just saying if you are addicted to chain smoking then surely you’re a drug addict, it’s like being an alcoholic. Maybe I’m wrong here but I don't know, there are different levels aren't there.

Slip of the tongue here. Substitute drug addict with junkie. I often hear people come with condescending remarks about the character of smokers, as if they have any idea how har it is to quit. It's easy to be preachy about something you have absolutely no idea about.

To be honest it’s a smokers fault for being a smoker and if they enjoy it fine as long as they don't force others to it though passive smoking.

Sorry but after seeing what it does to people I’m sure people can understand why they don't want to passive smoking and every reason is valid to me. I want to ask where are the "speculations" in people’s comments on this issue?

People are always going to generalise here as well, by smoker I and I’m sure most people mean inconsiderate smokers. I personally think all smokers are idiot but only dislike the inconsiderate ones.

It IS a smokers fault. It is stupid and why people start is inexplicable. It isn't that these people think: Hey! I want to get lung cancer at 25. I want to have to cough up my lungs every morning for 10 minutes. I want to spend a third of my salary on something that makes me unable to climb stairs.

The second hand smoke from someone standing outside smoking generates about a millionth of the smoke you inhale on the streets. Factories and more importantly for these forums, cars generate the main bulk of smoke for people to inhale. Are you going to complain about car-drivers next?

I honestly cannot for the life of me understand the opinions stated here on these forums and outside: "I hate smokers" and "They dug their own grave. Now lie in it." Do you really have so little sympathy for the people around that you can't inspire them to quit, but instead mock them for being pushed outside to smoke?

I know and love many smokers to this day, and I do not think they are in any way idiots, simply because they started smoking.