We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Your gadget or your girlfriend??

Nodz86

Found this article/survey and alot of stuff they found from the survey I do.

Are gadgets driving couples apart?

By Katie Scott Pocket-lint - Friday, March 7 05:16 pm

According to a new survey, Brits are choosing their gadgets over their loved ones.

As part of The Great British Bedtime survey, conducted online by tickbox.net, 1408 people were asked about their sleeping habits between 27 February and 03 March 2008.

The survey, run by The Sleep Council, found that our obsession with gadgets such as BlackBerries, mobile phones, games consoles and laptops, is forcing millions of couples to regularly sleep apart.

It revealed that 40% of people go to bed at a different time to their partner because they are still playing with their toys and eight out of 10 have admitted to using computers or other gadgets at bedtime.

Some 22% now rely on their Blackberries and mobile phones for their alarm call, 43% watch television in bed and 26% make phone calls or send/receive texts messages.

Indeed - it's almost become the norm with many sending and receiving emails and checking social networking sites, such as Facebook, in bed before snuggling down.

According to the Sleep Council, our bedrooms have become 'communications hubs' instead of a place for sleep.

"Busy night-time routines are driving couples' bedtimes and even their bedrooms apart," said Jessica Alexander of The Sleep Council.

And this obsession with keeping on top of things - either answering emails or checking our Facebook profile pages - means that we Brits are going to bed later and later.

According to the survey, 40% of the respondants were in bed between 10pm and 11pm on a workday, while only one in eight hit the sack by about 9pm.

And, unsurprisingly, we're all tired as a result.

Of the respondants aged between 25 and 34 years old, 56% described themselves as usually very tired or shattered when they go to bed.

Of course the three hours and 16 pints in the pub after work has nothing to do with this.

Source BTYahoo News

The phrase " people in glass house's shouldn't throw stones" comes into mind

I don't get it, it just sounds like common sense. You throw a stone when you're in a glass house you smash your house :p.

I haven't got a girlfriend at the moment but i wouldn't choose gadgets over girlfriends though. I love my PS3 and my iTouch but i'm not addicted to them.

Girlfriends should come before gadgets.

I seriously don't get why people who have gf's spend time on their gadgets instead of spending time doing something like seeing a movie together, having a meal out, going shopping together or just even watching the tv after all if you loved her you would spend proper time with her wouldn't you ?????

Although maybe thats just me !!!!!.

Take note guys :cool:.

It is easy to choose a gadget over the other half for instance theres this scenario:

Your both watching TV, a film/documentary/[fill in blank] you both wanted to watch for ages but the other half is getting tired, 20mins before the end the GF says:

"I'm going to bed I'm tired"

Do you reapond by saying:

a. "OK, lets go to bed" and miss the end of the film or whatever your watching and may not get to see it for ages

or

b. o"k i'll be up when this film ends"

Most people will say b. If ithe GF had said "I'm going to bed now" and it was said in the way of I'm not tired but want a "cuddle" then yeah the TV will be off and I'd be up them stairs.

Also if you did actually read the article, the going to bed at different times to the other half (or as the thread title says, your girlfriend or gadgets) was just one example of how technology is taking over there lifes.

For instance how many people use there mobile phone as an alarm clock?? I do and I don't even own an alram clock because I can use my phone.

Again I am one of these 43% that watch TV in bed before I go to sleep. I am also some one who goes to bed between 10pm and 11pm and feel very tired all the time as I'm up early.

As a few people have pointed out above, read the 1st post, this isn't a simple topic about what you would choose, its about how technology is taking over our lifes as a whole not just coming between relationships.

My gadget's any time they don't shout at me, or tell me to do stuff, or wine at me.

My gadgets do shout at me, and they do tell me what to do and they do wine at me, to such an extent that I'm actually happy to listen to my girlfriend!