We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

GTA IV nets $500m in first week !!

Eudemon

Rockstar North just go from strength to strength, they don't rest on their laurels like EA and just think it's GTA it will sell anyway, they make it the best they can make it. And as I'm still going through and enjoying the story immensely so much so that I actually like some of the characters and hate others I really hope that Take 2 tell EA to shove their takeover.

http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSN0755678120080507

I read this on Kotaku last night, didn't it push something mad like 6 million units in the first week, 3.6 on launch day. Crazy. It has done just shy of a million in the UK since launch.

With one of the most recent GTA's, might have been San Andreas or even Vice City, Rockstar gave Rockstar North 6 weeks paid holiday as a thanks, wonder what they'll get this time !

The Scottish humour is so apparent in this game, I mean NASDAQ is BAWSAQ in GTA IV and yes it's exactly as it sounds. There's another nice wee Scottish twang in the game but I forgot it, think it might be one of the myroomonline.com/net profiles iirc.

Heres a few more stats for you:

GTAIV Stats - The World's Gone To Liberty City...

The Gamerscore Blog team have just sent me through some GTAIV stats - these are US only, but it makes for some reall interesting reading!

"The Gamerscore Blog would like to congratulate Rockstar on the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV. GTA sold over 6 million units, and broke the entertainment record with over $500 million in sales.

We got some data from the US team, and we’re here to share that news with you:

• Actual MS sales data from last week shows Xbox 360 console sales at retail went up 54% week-over-week as a result of GTA's success
  • According to retailers more than 60% of all GTA games sold in the first week were the Xbox 360 version
  • Retailers are telling us that the game is attaching strongly to new console sales, with roughly 40% of new consoles selling with a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV

Regarding Xbox LIVE:

• In the first week, more than 2.3 million people played Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox LIVE
  • GTA IV is now the number one played game on Xbox LIVE
  • Over the weekend, we saw the Xbox LIVE service reach 1 million concurrent users
  • Gamers have unlocked more than 12 million achievements worth over 100 million gamerscore points in GTA
  • Grand Theft Auto IV set a new record for time played, with the average gamer spending more than four hours playing the game on LIVE in the first week alone"

From aceybongos who got it from gamerscoreblog