We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Getaway slips away

Nodz86

The game that was definately going to make be buy a PS3 has now been cancelled.:( So now it can wait until GT5 gets released unless other good games also go this way.

The Getaway slips away

SCEE ceases production of the London gangster game sequel, along with another PS3 exclusive, Eight Days.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK Posted Jun 4, 2008 4:59 pm GMT

The Getaway and Eight Days are in development limbo because Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has stopped work on the two games from the London studio. The decision was made so that the company could "redistribute resources and budget" toward other first-party projects.

In a statement, a Sony spokesperson said, "This decision was made following an internal review of all games, and it was deemed that with the incredibly strong list of exclusive first-party titles coming up both this year and in the near future, resource should be reallocated to enhance those projects closer to completion."

Announced at E3 2006, Eight Days was a PlayStation 3 game that combined third-person shooting with driving action. The Getaway, also for the PS3, was to continue on from the PlayStation 2 game, which was released in 2002 and spawned a sequel and a PlayStation Portable spin-off called Gangs of London. Little was known about the modern action-adventure game other than the fact that it was to be set in a photorealistic London.

Sony London, which was established in 2003 by the merging of Getaway developer Team Soho and Studio Camden, has previously worked on games including EyeToy: Play and SingStar Pop. The studio employs around 225 people.

This isn't the only shake-up at Sony's internal studios. Last month, it was announced that Shuhei Yoshida--at the time senior vice president--would be stepping up to the plate as the new Sony Worldwide Studios head. Yoshida replaced Phil Harrison, who left after 15 years to go to Infogrames.

Info From Gamespot UK

agreed, the getaway, GT5 and MGS would be the only reason i got a PS3, getaway has been cancelled, i got forza so no real need for GT5 the only difference that i would like in GT5 is the in car view, so that leaves only MGS and like diablo said buying for a select game is pointless

There may be some hope, there is mixed reports floating about some say it has been axed like above while others say it has been delayed (yet again) to get other titles out 1st.

Personally I think it has been axed but as I say theres a bit of hope.

Hang on,

I don't understand, so the game has been axed ????????

Why axe a game that is pretty certain to sell (well in the UK atleast!), hell part of the reasons why I would buy a ps3 is because of Getaway and haven't they already spent time & money developing the game ????

It makes no sense :oook: !!!!!!!!!

It's been put on indefinite hold I would say, it looks like because it's Sony studios that are doing these titles they are putting their money and resources into other titles and keeping The Getaway for another gap in a release drought. Or maybe they have seen what GTA IV has done and want to emulate that but in the more realistic manner that The Getaway is about. I mean I loved the first one, but never played the 2nd due to what I heard about it from other people not reviewers.