We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PhOTW: Week 1 Vote

Speedtouch

PhOTW: Week 1 Winner  

28 members have voted

1. 1. PhOTW: Week 1 Winner

• Speedtouch
    • CarboyZR1
    • zo6dude
    • Pressurized
    • Car Freak
    • Baldred
    • TheScottishSpotter
    • KTF67
    • MadMax
    • randomous_r
    • -Lr-SpeedraceR
    • Andreaz1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Max (before I read all the other posts) simply because of the water droplets. Otherwise the background is too overexposed...

What you mean over exposed, I just put my camera on the Focus setting which make the focal point stand out more than the background?

^ No over exposed means basically too bright, and therefore lacking any detail (even if it is blurred). He is right, it is too over exposed, which is a really good reason not to point your camera at an overcast sky.

It is completely different to focal points/focus.

I think that, after certain events in this week, next week it would be good to begin the anonymous voting. I believe that would be better for everyone, and so any comments on the photos would not be aimed at anyone. And a new rule would be 'Keep It Anonymous! Don't announce which photo is yours!'

Do people agree? The only downside I see is the quiet entry thread. Although you can post there to say that you have sent the photo to me, and converse the theme etc.

Why dont ppl PM their entries to you (Speedtouch) and then you post it on the thread but you dont say who's piccy is it. Then ppl can say what picture they liked more but they wont know who's picture is. That way the THread wont be silenced. If you just said that then forgive me and dont nugget me.

Sounds like a plan, so this is what I see it as.

You make the Competition next week entry thread, people post that they emailed you a picture. Then you make the voting thread with out any names and just numbers. And people are not allowed to say which one is theirs. Any then you announce the winner at the end?

But you'll have to upload the pictures to your own photobucket or attach them yourself Speedtouch, otherwise the image URL would be a give away :p

However, I don't agree with the annoymus thing. It has been fine for PotW so far, so why should images of real things be different? I like to see who's photographed what, so I can see who's improving, had a bad week, and staying a crap photographer :p j/k I think people's emotions just went OTT because a select few people probably thought they were going to win (when only 1 can xD) and then got annoyed at the current results. Which can also change (unlikely, but not impossible).

I don't think the voting had anything to do with who originally photographed it ... neither the comments. If this week had been annoymus. The inidiviudals would know themselves if they were loosing, so their attitude would not be different ...

Sounds like a plan, so this is what I see it as.

You make the Competition next week entry thread, people post that they emailed you a picture. Then you make the voting thread with out any names and just numbers. And people are not allowed to say which one is theirs. Any then you announce the winner at the end?

Putting that way, It seems that its gonna start to get boring

I think it's good to know who voted for you, makes you feel good if someone you know to have great photo skills votes for you, just because they are acknowledging the time you spent to take that photo, and it's nice to think someone whos really good at something likes your effort.

Putting that way, It seems that its gonna start to get boring

Yup. It'll probably put me off entering. Maybe not the first week, but over time (maybe week #3) I will get annoyed and not enter. I also have a feeling that I will not be the only member with these thoughts.

Well I am always a great fan of constructive criticism, so thanks for someone being intelligent about it.

I do see what you mean. And obviously this sort of thing doesn't have to come into effect instantly, but I thought it maybe as a test of some kind, to compare it to the current system (which we know how it works etc), and then, if needed, remove it and never use it again. So leave it for this week? Or use it as a test, then see how it all works out?

Well I am always a great fan of constructive criticism, so thanks for someone being intelligent about it.

I do see what you mean. And obviously this sort of thing doesn't have to come into effect instantly, but I thought it maybe as a test of some kind, to compare it to the current system (which we know how it works etc), and then, if needed, remove it and never use it again. So leave it for this week? Or use it as a test, then see how it all works out?

Sounds good actually :)

We know the system I use on PotW works, so why not try this new system. It's not like anyone has anything to lose with just a few weeks testing this one, good idea :)

I doubt it. You need around 20 weeks to get a basic overview and a basic pattern will emerge. The more weeks there are, the better the results. 100 is what we're told to use at college, but in this instance that would be pointless :p

1 week will not proove anything, for a start every picture changes ... people may "get lucky" one week etc etc. Go on what's been happening in PotW. That has and is successful.

You can't do significant tests on 1 week visible and 1 week invisible :p That will proove nought.

What about the 20 weeks of PoTW for the 'visible' side of the test? We know how that works. And I'm not suggesting necessarily 1 week, but if the response is seriously a resounding no, then a reconsider would be definite.