We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

A sad day for Weston-Super-Mare

S71NG3R

Some may have seen the tragic news about the iconic Weston-Super-Mare pier. http://www.itvlocal.com/west/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6a-zvo7KRQ

The fire was too strong and there is not a lot left of the pier.

I spent many summers as a kid there, it's a very sad lost and my thoughts go to all the workers and their families effected.

Fortunately there are currently no known casualties.

How was the fire started?

This is not known yet, engineers are viewing the pier to check the structure is safe before investigators can walk along it.

The rumor is it was started by a chip pan as the area that was ablaze first was where the chip pans and hotdog makers were.

there was a fire on my local pier about 15-16 years ago, and it still hasn't been rebuilt, like they said they would, they just built a brand new one, about 300yrds down the road and is now one of the UK's biggest tourist locations

the burnt pier is now just a lump of metal that resembles a building, quite sad actually

Bet it was an insurance job.

I have heard that from a lot of people, even a guy I know who pulls insurance scams himself says that it is the most likely reason. After all, we are giving a chip pan fire a bit too much credit for the damage it caused? :cheeky: