We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Schumacher hits pedestrian with van

Nodz86

From BTYahoo news and eurosport:

Schumacher hits pedestrian with van

Eurosport - Thu, 31 Jul 15:26:00 2008

Formula One legend Michael Schumacher hit a pedestrian while driving a Fiat Ducato van in Kent on Sunday.

19c8988913e9e73265d89de149cbb983.jpg

The German struck car dealer Martin Kingham while overtaking an elderly lady driver on his way to a private airfield.

Martin Kingham was closing a security gate when Schumacher, who has appeared in adverts driving a Fiat van, made contact, leaving Kingham startled but unhurt.

"I was putting the security bars up outside the garage before going home," Kingham told the Daily Mirror. "I have to stand on the edge of the road and keep an eye on traffic.

"Out of nowhere I heard a bang from behind me. It spun me round and I was thrown forward on to my face, hitting the bonnet of a parked van.

Then I saw a big blue van go by and realised they'd hit me. I thought I recognised the driver, but my head was spinning."

Kingham claims Schumacher reacted furiously, blaming him for the accident.

"He was screaming, 'What the f*****g hell were you doing in the road?' He seemed cross, as if I was in the wrong. I called the police," he said.

Schumacher passed a breathalyser test before Kingham was told who was at the wheel of the van.

"The officers asked me to wait in my office while they spoke to him," he said. "An officer came in and said 'This guy's claiming to be Michael Schumacher'. Then another told us she'd seen his ID and it was him.

"Try telling people you were hit by Michael Schumacher and see what response you get. My wife thought I was winding her up. I guess it shows once a racing driver, always a racing driver. The old ladies were probably only doing 30mph and he fancied his chances.

"He probably wasn't expecting me to be in the road. Still, I'm lucky to be in one piece and I suppose it's a great story, so no harm done."

A spokesperson for Schumacher confirmed the incident and said the former Ferrari man had co-operated fully with police at the scene.

Alex Chick / Eurosport