We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

OMG! 4870x2 is out! ...

Guest RB26DETT

they slashed off the prices i think. what does the one in gold font mean?
They slashed the prices down to £380...

Meh.. I still prefer Nvidia. They are more reliable than ATI :p
Apart from the defective G84, G86, G92 and G94 chips you mean, which cover the majority of their GPUs?

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly

NVIDIA IS IN DEEP trouble over the defective parts problem, and from what we're being told, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah I read. Well I always thought that Nvidia was better than ATI but now I have read some articles on the internet, i'm not sure...

I've used Nvidia for about the last 6 years and not had a problem with any cards, wish i could say that for ATI, but I've always had problems with them but it looks like they are getting much better and I will think about going with ATI for my next comp.

Anybody seen any benchmarks compairing it with the GTX260 and 280???

I've used Nvidia for about the last 6 years and not had a problem with any cards, wish i could say that for ATI, but I've always had problems with them but it looks like they are getting much better and I will think about going with ATI for my next comp.

Anybody seen any benchmarks compairing it with the GTX260 and 280???

There's lots.

17225.png

CoD251.png

Most of those tests were in enviorments to suit the ATI card, and not the Nvidia cards. Not all the cards work the same. The way you set it up is how they perform.

Can you give me an example of how you set up an environment to suit the ATI card?

I always buy BFG tech cards as they are overclocked to a stable level off the self and you get a life time warranty. As they only do Nvida these are the cards I get.

New Nvida cards have Physx built in and now backward compatible to the 8 series cards. http://www.nvidia.com/content/forcewithin/us/index.html

The latest drivers are the main problem Nivda have and now looks like the chips are a problem too.

I normally buy the last of the old generation as the prices are a lot less and most of the bugs are fixed.

OK this is what happened. true story and all. My friend was having a Lan party over at his house. Everything was setup and good. One had an ATI card and me and the friend having the party was on Nvidia. We both were on 8800gtx's and he was on dual ATi 3600's. Because the house we were in was hotter and the AC wasn't doing much justice his comp wasn't running the normal FPS's he does when we play source. Temperature can effect cards and everything. Some cards can run well in multitudes of temps. than others. plus he didn't have as much fans. Running benchmarks can differ if the card is running at its optimum temp.

And I know that you know the colder it is the better it runs.

But in all the reviews the conditions were exactly the same for both AMD and nVidia cards, and in all cases they were optimal (you can check them when they report the operating temperatures). If for some reason nVidia cards run slower in normal conditions then that's a valid fact worth reporting, but as it happens the nVidia cards usually run cooler yet the AMD cards still perform much better.

Yes there should be a card inside or go online. http://www.bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx

You have 30 days to register.

Thank you :thumbsup: Nope there's nothing inside or on the box to tell you that, which is a bit scandelous in my opinion as if I hadn't been told, I wouldn't know ... Also, there're so many codes on the back of my card it's hard to tell which one is which ... =[ Even with the online guide.

+rep if I can. (poo =[)

E: I gave up registering, I don't appear to have a serial code. I shall email BFG later ...

The 4870x2 is the best card currently on the market (single PCB)

It was released in australia just a few days ago :D

And I know that you know the colder it is the better it runs.

Down to a certain point. Graphics cards will only work above 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit) I think

I've spent some time researching the 4870X2 and its is one hell of a card. I would buy it but its not a pretty card. If XFX made one I would buy it' date=' their cards look amazing.[/quote']

I'm not sure if XFX make ATi cards. I think they are more towards Nvidia than ATi