We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Spore Copy Right Protection

eleKtro

Who ever plans on buying Spore, I suggest you have a read of the following, it made me cancel my order.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/spore-game-discussion/316297-spore-copy-protection-q.html

When will Spore authenticate?

We authenticate your game online when you install and launch it the first time.

How often will the game have to re-authenticate?

Spore will re-authenticate when a player uses online features, downloads new content or a patch for their game.

Why even bother with this new process? It seems like a hindrance… will it benefit the players?

Yes, it will benefit players. The new system means you don't have to play with the disc in your computer. Losing discs can always be such a pain, so requiring players to authenticate online can be a huge benefit.

Will I be able to play on more than one computer?

Yes, you'll still be able to install and play on multiple computers.

Will I be able to play offline?

Yes, you’ll be able to play Spore offline.

What kind of gameplay experience can I expect online?

The online functionalities in Spore are so unique; they’re definitely some of the coolest features in the game. We hope that players will play online and share their creatures, buildings and vehicles with other players around the world. You never know kind of wacky new creatures people from your Buddies list have created. We can’t wait until our creative, passionate community starts sharing their creations!

This "excuse" always makes me chuckle. In all the considerable years I've been playing games on my PC I have never, ever, lost one. It's not difficult.

Is this really the whole story? My understanding was that you had a certain number (three I believe) of "activations" allocated to a particular CD-Key. Changing hardware in your PC (in some unidentifiable way) would trigger an activation, or, installing the game on a different PC would trigger an activation.

So, although the statement is true, there are additional caveats that have not yet been explicitly stated.

Ok, I'm very annoyed about this copy protection system due to the use of limited activations, having already expressed my annoyance elsewhere I will not do so here, however I do have some questions:

1). Is it true that customers will be limited to 3 activations and if so could someone from EA please explain what process a UK customer has to go through in order to re-activate Spore once they have exceeded the 3 activations limit ?

2). If it involves any phone calls, what country will we be expected to call and at what cost ?

3). How long can we be expected to wait before getting the game unlocked ?

4). will there be support available should this occure over a weekend, or 'out-of-hours' uk time ?

Thankyou.

I have been waiting for this game since 2006. I would have bought this game on release day.

If EA stays with this useless copy protection (because you know it will be cracked) then I will not buy it, you lost a customer!

I'm fine with a CD key and/or a one off online activation but this 3 time install crap has got to go!

EA you are selling a product that will "break" for many users and you know it!

I wonder if this is even legal? Selling a product that you know is defect!

This will drive more people to piracy because they are sick and tired of being treated like criminals. The cracked version will work fine but people who buy this game will have only troubles.

So what are the options?

Buy the game and call the pricey EA hotline and ask them kindly if you can play the game.

Buy the game but download a cracked version and no problems.

Don't buy the game because you are going to use the cracked version anyway.

Don't buy the game and play Mario Kart on the Wii.

One last question.

Will this "protection" also be on the Mac version?

If yes, you lost a customer.

If no, I might buy it but I'm still disgusted with your attitude against your customers.

Maybe one of the EA people reading this thread can provided the idiot who decided to use this protection, a link to this discussion on /.

A lot more complaints.

I've never liked buying products from EA since BF2. But Spore I have been looking forward too since 2006! And I would have bought it on release day with out a question from the first trailer I saw!

But after reading this, I'm disgusted.

Unless they do something about this, they've lost all my 3 orders for me and friends.

Please share your opinions.

I love the irony of the usual "this will drive more people to pirate" argument, these copy protection systems are in place because of the people who are already pirating, if even 10% less people stopped pirating then games publishers wouldn't have to do this sort of thing.

* My idea, not for stealing. lol *

I think personally one way to do this would be to have CD-Keys in the Box which are then validated online or over the phone by operator or even a text message. Then every 1-3 months, this code is regenerated from the old (by means of some complex algorithm) and updated in the servers database and the owner is then informed of this code by email, phone call or text again. This way it's not so much of a hassle as you know when the new code is coming and the game will basically not work if it can't validate itself with said code.

I've also heard that P2P and torrent users have/are being tracked and games companies are going after them with fixed fines or taking them to court, one such instance resulted in a woman having to pay £16,000 for being the initial uploader of a Pinball game!

Yeah, quite annoying as these type of copy protection usually doesn't prevent "pirates" from playing it, but it annoys people who buy it. Still, I'm going to buy it.

(Btw, the EAUK staff member (in the EA forums), is it the same Baker who was an admin in US Atari forums?)

It's the same as the current system for Mass Effect and I think it works pretty well. You don't need the disc in the drive anymore, and as a bonus you are actually granted a license to install it on 3 separate computers - that's pretty amazing as most games are only licensed for one. For us that saves us the cost of another copy so it's a good thing IMHO. The only thing they really need to make certain is of having a good support team to be able to help people activate by phone etc.

Is it true you can only install it 3 times? Kinda sucks as I will be upgrading my pc later next year and that will be one install gone :(

That's what my problem is with it, after 3 installation and use up your 3 activations, you will have to renew it by phoning EA Support, giving them your ID that comes with Spore etc.

But problem is, I don't know if it will costs to phone, or if you can phone on a week end, what times can you phone etc.

There are a few options to stop or lower piracy. These are how I see it from most gamers point of view not what I agree with.

1) Sell games for £10 -£15 there is a reason for not paying for games. Either bad reviews so don't want to risk buying it or the game may not run on my PC. Crysis fell victim to the latter.

2) Remove all copy protection as SecuROM and others has forced players to download cracks to get their DVD drive to read the disks. If a gamer is risking all to get their paid for game to work why not just download the full game for free.

3) Digital downloads with a subscription service.

4) Free games with ads support.

There are a few options to stop or lower piracy. These are how I see it from most gamers point of view not what I agree with.

1) Sell games for £10 -£15 there is a reason for not paying for games.

Doesn't explain why there's less piracy of PS3 games costing £50 than there is of PC games costing £20.

Either bad reviews so don't want to risk buying it or the game may not run on my PC. Crysis fell victim to the latter.
But why wouldn't they try the crysis demo which contained everything you needed to tell if your computer would run it or not?

As for bad reviews, then I don't see why they'd play the game at all - if you don't think a game is worth the money then how can it be worth your time playing :p

2) Remove all copy protection as SecuROM and others has forced players to download cracks to get their DVD drive to read the disks. If a gamer is risking all to get their paid for game to work why not just download the full game for free.
It seems to be a very small minority of pirates who can't actually get their DVD to run - and it certainly doesn't explain why games that don't need the DVD in the drive get pirated so much :(

3) Digital downloads with a subscription service.

4) Free games with ads support.

Both of these are unfortunate, but probably the way to go, unless TPM does ok.

Yes I agree to all the answers but unfortunately that is the view of most PC gamers but not mine.

Also PC games are pushed out in most shops this upsets me the most.

Edit: Forgot yes the demos are a good way to see for free how the game will run but sometimes the extra bells and whistles are left out to make the file size smaller.

Doesn't explain why there's less piracy of PS3 games costing £50 than there is of PC games costing £20.

Becouse its easy to pirate a PC game and very difficult to go a PS3 game. I don't think price has anything to do with it, some people just seem they shouldn't have to pay for games even though companys have spent millions making them.

I remembered another reason that I have read in the past on other forums.

Releasing games at different dates for different countries. This could be a few days up to months between the date in one country to another.

I know there are reasons for this but this is a problem as most gamers can't wait at all.

Edit: I just found this, sounds promising http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/encryption-chip-will-end-piracy-open-markets-says-bushnell