We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Colin McRae: Dirt 2

Nodz86

spacer.gifspacer.gifJust got an email from codemasters, thought I'd share it with you:

image_middle1.jpgspacer.gif

Codemasters Announce Colin McRae: DiRT™2spacer.gif

The game’s going to include loads of off-road events, taking you all over the world. This World Tour will have you competing in aggressive multi-car and intense solo races at extraordinary new locations.

Exhilarating new events include the edge-of-control canyon racing of Utah’s “Creek Trailblazer” event, the treacherous muddy tracks of the “Rawang Rally Run”, set in the rainforests of Malaysia, and the “Battersea Battle” of London, where rallycross night races are staged in and around Battersea’s iconic disused power station, transformed into an industrial amphitheatre of racing.

The Game will be powered by the third generation of the EGO Engine’s award-winning racing game technology, Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will benefit from tuned-up car-handling physics system and new and improved damage engine effects. It will also be upping the ante in the visual stakes as well, by having cars and tracks twice as detailed as those seen in Race Driver: GRID!

“Rally has attracted new stars and a new style that makes it more vibrant and exciting than ever before; it’s right up there as a premium extreme sport, attracting fresh crowds and a new confident attitude,” said Gavin Raeburn, senior executive producer, also known as

Uncle Chewy on the forums.

More Styles of Off-Road Racing

Expanding on the variety of race styles, players can also expect a wider selection of race formats, inspired by authentic contemporary off-road solo, multi-car, and multi-class racing. ‘Rally’ returns reinvigorated with all-new edge-of-your-seat courses through hazardous new locations, the hugely popular ‘Rallycross’ also features for close battling racing in spectacular new settings. Raid, the reinvention of DiRT’s Rally Raid, will offer wide open point-to-point stages for multiple competitors to race the heavier off-road vehicles on terrain filled with natural obstacles. Trailblazer is the new hill climb event that will take drivers downhill too and there’s more to be announced…

Faster, More Powerful Cars

Covering seven vehicle classes, You’ll get the keys to powerful vehicles right from the off! As an example of what we are talking about, the opening drive in the game is the Group N Subaru; essentially making the ultimate car from the original game the starting point in the sequel, and the metal gets faster and even more impressive from there.

Tour The World

Immersing yourself in the World Tour and delivering a true feeling of progression, you’ll travel the globe in your own RV; the interior of which will form both the game’s front end and the gateway to new locations. As illustrated in the trailer video, at each location the RV will park up ahead of the race event, with the awaiting scene visible through the windows.

Full Online Play

In addition to the World Tour, Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will come complete with full online functionality that will be core to the overall experience, with head-to-head competitive online play and new social features to engage the racing community.

www.codemasters.com/dirt2, and race over to the Dirt 2 forums to discuss all the latest news and game features!

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifimage_middlebottom.jpgspacer.gif

logos_uk.jpg

Brilliant, the first DiRT was a great game, hopefully the new one will be just as good :D (and include a Sierra RS500 and Evo X this time). I hope it's released as Colin McRae DiRT 2 in the US this time though, last time it was just "DiRT" and since Colin McRae had just died before it was released I found that a bit dis-respectful, showing he had already been forgotten out there :(.

• 2 weeks later...

Mcrae didn't die just before DiRT was released?!

It had been out for ages before that.

As far as the McRae name goes, I figure they're keeping it as a tribute. In fact if you bother to visit the McRae site (google it) you would have known that less than a month after his death the family were talking about a tribute game with codemasters!

For the game itself, I really can't wait for this! I loved the first one. Now DiRT2 will have multiplayer, its going to be even better.

Not sure what so so wrong with the physics of the last one though, they always felt real tight when I played it.

:)

Tim don't you dare imply I haven't been on the site, I was one of the first to pay my condolences to his family on it, and I remember seeing adverts for it a few weeks after his death, so fine, maybe he did die a long time before it and I was wrong, but DON'T YOU DARE imply I haven't "bothered" to visit the site again.

DiRT had multiplayer didnt it?? The online was a bit pants tho.

No slpitscreen, and the online was rubbish too. You couldn't even see the other players, and were only given a split time of how they were doing on the track. :rolleyes:

Tim don't you dare imply I haven't been on the site, I was one of the first to pay my condolences to his family on it, and I remember seeing adverts for it a few weeks after his death, so fine, maybe he did die a long time before it and I was wrong, but DON'T YOU DARE imply I haven't "bothered" to visit the site again.

WHAT?? :confused::ill: Chillax.

I didn't imply anything. Please don't over react.

The first part of my post was referring to your comment about its release. But I have to say it again because its twice now you haven't read my posts*: DiRT had been out a long time before Colin died!

The rest was about Colin's name on the game which was more relevant to other posts in this thread.

* which is especially annoying because you're giving me a hard time for it!

Well done for guessing my name though Jimbo, I bet that was real hard.... see I can be a tool about things too.

What do you mean you "can be a tool about things too"? I got angry because you said "if you even bother to visit the site you would have known they were talking of a tribute game" and I went on the site the day his death was announced and payed my condolences to his family and nothing was said on the site at the time about talk of any game. His death is not something I like to talk about and I ESPECIALLY didn't appreciate being told I didn't bother going on their site.

And I apologise for mid-reading you saying the game had been out a long time before his death, like I said, I only saw advertisements for it a few weeks after his death was announced.

I also apologise for spamming the thread with a topic un-related with DiRT 2.

What do you mean you "can be a tool about things too"? I got angry because you said "if you even bother to visit the site you would have known they were talking of a tribute game" and I went on the site the day his death was announced and payed my condolences to his family and nothing was said on the site at the time about talk of any game. His death is not something I like to talk about and I ESPECIALLY didn't appreciate being told I didn't bother going on their site.

I was also on the site pretty much straight after I heard of the accident, infact, even before they confirmed it was him.

But talk of a tribute game didn't appear for a couple of weeks and was not on there for long either.

Again though, my earlier post: "if you bother to visit the McRae site..." was not intentionally directed at you. The only part of my thread that was, was regarding the initial release of DiRT.

Ok, then I am very sorry I had a go at you, I jumped to a conclusion it was directed at me, I apologise.

Now, back on topic, yeah, the online on DiRT was ok, but it was basically still doing the course on your own and just a matter of beating other people's times. Although, I guess 8 people on a Pikes Peak hillclimb could be pushing it a bit :p.

• 3 months later...

Anxiously awaiting this release after I got hooked on GRID.

Been trying to keep up with what little news trickles out.

I already see complaints:mad: on the web about the 'Rallycross' madeup arena in L.A. along with other things and neither the game or the demo are even out yet!

Sheesh you can't please everyone I guess.:confused:

It looks like it might be amazing, but who knows what the final release will be like.

If its up to what GRID is I will be all over it.

• 3 months later...

DiRT 2 will honor Colin McRae in-game

by

Jonathon Ramsey on Jun 21st 2009 at 9:35AM

dirt2_mcrae_tribute.jpg

Former WRC driver Colin McRae died just before the game bearing his brand, DiRT, was released. That game didn't get a chance to honor the 1995 WRC champion, but the game's sequel, DiRT 2, will make up for that. In addition to a host of off-road events that you can run in a variety of off-road vehicles, there will be a Colin McRae Memorial Cup that you can qualify for. Other drivers in the game will also be heard talking about McRae, and he is "the central figure in the narrative." As a step to pay tribute it is commendable, and it's good to see that Mr. McRae hasn't been forgotten.

[source: Joystiq]

Via Autoblog

• 1 month later...

Guess who've tested Dirt2. And he said it was pretty cool...:cool:

[TUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/TUBE]

I think I'll stick with Mr Richard Burns for now....;)

edit: changed with another one, but the first one was better: KB on a Force Dynamics simulator. Too bad that video is gone. This one is silly: KB with a gamepad on a sofa....:oook: can anything be more stupid than that?

Looks very promising. I like it a lot. I can't really make the comparison with DiRT 1 though. I'm sure it was a pretty good game, but the one thing which stopped me enjoying it (and it was a very big thing) was the freaking STARFORCE COPYRIGHT PROTECTION! :mad:. Because of that stupid program which (secretly) installs itself onto your com whether you like it or not, my dad has barred me from installing any Starforce-protected games onto the computer. I really really REALLY hope Codemasters have dropped the Starforce thing for this game, and all games in the future

I see alot of complaints and speculation all over the web once a new game is announced or for that matter NOT announced. Way before there is even any real info or video representations of what the finished game may look or be like.

Complaints all over the place for Dirt2. I for one am looking forward to it's release for PC (supposidly delayed till December!!!:mad:)

Some complain Dirt2 will be too arcade-ish and want someone to release a REAL sim rally game, others could careless about a simulation game.

Some want this car others want that one in the game.

It gets mind boggling at times! It's just a game, some act like their lives depend on it coming out just a certain way to only their tastes or satisfaction.

I like both arcade & sims, more-so for arcade type games.

I seriously doubt the new Dirt will be a graphically enhanced Richard Burns Rally game.

It will more than likely be closer to GRID but with probably slightly improved handling as far as rally cars go.

Sorry to say it's NOT going to have every car, everyone wants!

If they put every car on the planet in the game someone would come along and complain that did not include a Unicycle-sheeesh!!:imwithstupid:

I did not like Dirt much for two reasons: my PC could not run it smoothly and the rare times and instances it did I did not care for the spongey vehicle suspensions.

I absolutely Love GRID not just for the graphic appeal either, I like the car physics very much, and with a few mods you can get the sound up to par like it should have been. The AI in the game can be ruthless at times :thumbsup:

So if Dirt2 is anything like GRID I will be there in line to buy it no question.

I have been trying to keep tabs on this game since the rumors started, and anticipating it's release!

I could carless it's not a straight out sim and I am not going to decide wether Mcrae's name should or should not be on it.

I think it's a nice tribute to him regardless. We should be so fortunate!

I see alot of complaints and speculation all over the web once a new game is announced or for that matter NOT announced. Way before there is even any real info or video representations of what the finished game may look or be like.

Complaints all over the place for Dirt2. I for one am looking forward to it's release for PC (supposidly delayed till December!!!:mad:)

Some complain Dirt2 will be too arcade-ish and want someone to release a REAL sim rally game, others could careless about a simulation game.

Some want this car others want that one in the game.

It gets mind boggling at times! It's just a game, some act like their lives depend on it coming out just a certain way to only their tastes or satisfaction.

I like both arcade & sims, more-so for arcade type games.

I seriously doubt the new Dirt will be a graphically enhanced Richard Burns Rally game.

It will more than likely be closer to GRID but with probably slightly improved handling as far as rally cars go.

Sorry to say it's NOT going to have every car, everyone wants!

If they put every car on the planet in the game someone would come along and complain that did not include a Unicycle-sheeesh!!:imwithstupid:

I did not like Dirt much for two reasons: my PC could not run it smoothly and the rare times and instances it did I did not care for the spongey vehicle suspensions.

I absolutely Love GRID not just for the graphic appeal either, I like the car physics very much, and with a few mods you can get the sound up to par like it should have been. The AI in the game can be ruthless at times :thumbsup:

So if Dirt2 is anything like GRID I will be there in line to buy it no question.

I have been trying to keep tabs on this game since the rumors started, and anticipating it's release!

I could carless it's not a straight out sim and I am not going to decide wether Mcrae's name should or should not be on it.

I think it's a nice tribute to him regardless. We should be so fortunate!

Nice rant. I think you'll find many people on this forum who feel exactly the same as you do with regards to wanting stuff in a game