We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PC Help

iBilo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have a retail copy of XP to put on there in the first place then you want to make sure to get Vista proper, not the upgrade package.

Video card ram is a bit like system ram, but is used to hold all the texture information etc. 512mb is loads and more than enough for most purposes - especially on an ATI card which is more efficient.

Yup, nearly there :) You can save another £10 by getting this otherwise identical graphics card:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146705

You'll be fine whatever hard drive you choose - they're all pretty good. Maxtor are Seagate's budget brand these days, but that's OK. Western Digital and Samsung are also very good.

Don't forget DVD player if you don't already have one.

I have heard that TSS but ive had no problems. Also if he is getting 4GB RAM then he'll only be able to utilise 3gb of it as thats all it'll recognise
Yeah, for that reason 64bit is a good choice. Driver support is practically there - it's mostly old games that have the problem these days. 64bit is a bit more annoying to work with in terms of more stringent driver checking etc. but the performance and stability are better than 32bit.

Can I ask something. I`m going to buy a new comp soon. I`m thinking of Dual-Core processor (will decide which one later) and the RAM will be Kingston (3 GB). The problem is that I can`t decide which graphic card to buy. I`m sure it`ll be nVidia and I think 256 MB. So if you have any suggestions on some good cards, I`ll be very grateful. Oh, and I`ll be playing :

TDU, NFS : Most Wanted/Carbon, Prince of Persia : The Two Thrones, GTA : SA, The Sims 2, Sacred 2 : FA, FIFA 2009, Battlefield 2142, Juiced 2...and others...;)

Can I ask something. I`m going to buy a new comp soon. I`m thinking of Dual-Core processor (will decide which one later) and the RAM will be Kingston (3 GB). The problem is that I can`t decide which graphic card to buy. I`m sure it`ll be nVidia and I think 256 MB. So if you have any suggestions on some good cards, I`ll be very grateful. Oh, and I`ll be playing :

TDU, NFS : Most Wanted/Carbon, Prince of Persia : The Two Thrones, GTA : SA, The Sims 2, Sacred 2 : FA, FIFA 2009, Battlefield 2142, Juiced 2...and others...;)

Probably best to start your own thread (though a mod can split these posts off if they want to). Why do you need an nVidia card specifically? There's nothing wrong with them, but you could be cutting your choices down if you mandate that.

Performance wise you'll be more than happy with anything from the 4830 upwards by ATI, or the 8800GT upwards by nVidia. Best deal I could find was this 9800GT at £92 :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB-Palit-9800-GT-PCI-E-20-(x16)-1800MHz-GDDR3-GPU-600MHz-112-Cores-2xDL-DVI-I-HDTV

Though you could get away with a slower card certainly (what resolution are you playing at?). In some ways your needs are best served by the last generation of mid-high ranged cards, which are hard to find new - I would honestly be tempted to grab a bargain 8800GT from ebay if I were you.

Btw, why do you want Vista 64 and not 32? 64 is meant to be worse or maybe I have heard wrong?

I have heard that TSS but ive had no problems. Also if he is getting 4GB RAM then he'll only be able to utilise 3gb of it as thats all it'll recognise

That's basically why and also because I've never tried 4GB RAM and 64bit before.

Probably best to start your own thread (though a mod can split these posts off if they want to). Why do you need an nVidia card specifically? There's nothing wrong with them, but you could be cutting your choices down if you mandate that.

Performance wise you'll be more than happy with anything from the 4830 upwards by ATI, or the 8800GT upwards by nVidia. Best deal I could find was this 9800GT at £92 :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB-Palit-9800-GT-PCI-E-20-(x16)-1800MHz-GDDR3-GPU-600MHz-112-Cores-2xDL-DVI-I-HDTV

Though you could get away with a slower card certainly (what resolution are you playing at?). In some ways your needs are best served by the last generation of mid-high ranged cards, which are hard to find new - I would honestly be tempted to grab a bargain 8800GT from ebay if I were you.

1) I prefer them, because my previous 2 cars were nVidia and I`m very happy with the results.:)

2) Thanks for the link. I also though of 512 MB but though they were expensive but actually that`s a very good deal.

3) I`m currently playing at 800x600 in most of the games.

4) I think I`ll might get 8800 GT, thank you.

No need to split posts, as I now got the answer...;)

I have another question..

I'm tempted to get the Intel Q6600 Quad, I've heard they're can be overclocked to 3GHz+ and they're very good performance wise, and they can be overclocked more with the fan that Iced sent me the link to. Is it worth the extra £30 (including the fan)?

yeah you will probably need a 3rd party HSF if you plan on overclocking

but the E8400 is generally faster overall than the Q6600 as it is based on the penryn architecture

you will only see the advantage of the extra two cores in heavily mutithreaded apps like video encoding etc.