We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Dual-Core or Quad-Core?

hpluls

Dual-Core or Quad-Core?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Dual-Core or Quad-Core?

So, I'm buying a new comp soon. I'm keeping my graphics card, RAM and HDD. What I need is a new CPU, a new mobo that fits it and a new case that fits the mobo... But anyway, which am I better off buying: a dual-core or a quad-core? I read that a dual-core is in fact better for gaming than a quad-core... but that was a few months ago, and things might have changed. So, which should I buy? :confused:

Dual core gets you more bang for buck. Only in very poorly optimised titles such as GTAIV does quad make a difference - but it's possible that when they optimise them properly that difference will go away.

The situation may yet change (seems like it must eventually), but today, dual core is still the better choice.

LOL I see most of you would choose the quad... but I might go for a dual in fact. Right now I have this month's issue of a trustable PC gaming magazine in front of me, and there's a test of a bunch of different computers. It appears that one with an Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3GHz BOX is more efficient than one with all the same stuff (mobo, graphic card, RAM etc.) but a Core2 Quad Q9400 2,66 GHz BOX instead. And it's about 350 PLN cheaper. What do you think of it?

Depends on how much you want to spend, but at the moment Dual Cores are a hell of a lot better value for money than Quads. Quads are all well and good when you're always on very graphical programs (e.g. 3d rendering programs, or working with RAW files on Photoshop) but for gaming, photoshop and just general use, Duals work out a hell of a lot better for money right now.

Besides, I wouldn't trust Quads yet, I don't believe they've been out long enough to get all the problems sorted yet (even though I'm going for quads soon xD).

I'd only get a quad if I was to do Producer stuff (3d modeling, video and audio editing ect)

GTA IV is one game, that uses 4 cores, how about the rest?

just get a decent duel core and it will be more then you will need for years to come.

don't overclock it at the start and as time passes then overclock it.