We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Koenigsegg's Automotive Photography

KoenigseggBG

Thanks both. Mb, I see you`re doing great with those things. Lemme tell you some details :

My camera is Canon PowerShot A700. I have Auto/Program/Manual mode for pics.

I mostly use Auto mode with Auto ISO, there is also High ISO in Auto mode. I turn on the colorizing most of the times.

Recently I started using Program mode. There I have : Auto ISO/High ISO/80/100/200/400/800 ISO. I sometimes turn on some of the effects like : bright, neutral, black/white, more/less colour and etc. The flash has settings from -2 to +2, it`s set on -1 now.

Manual mode I use the least. There are only 5 ISO modes there : 80/100/200/400/800.

So can you give me some tips. When it`s bright outside and I have sunlight, should I change the ISO. What should I do when taking shots in dark, like at night or in garages. And what is E/V? ;)

Oh, and about the Vette, I`ll post photos of him too but tommorow. As you see I post 2 packs per day and today I prepared you a Ferrari. :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: And what is E/V? ;)[

A: The flash has settings from -2 to +2, it`s set on -1 now.

;)

So can you give me some tips. When it`s bright outside and I have sunlight, should I change the ISO. What should I do when taking shots in dark, like at night or in garages.

When it's bright. EV = -1 / -2/3 and ISO as low as possible.

In Garage, ISO up to 800, not more. EV on -2.

That would give normal shutter speeds.

Eeh for the rest, i dunno.

Thanks both. Mb, I see you`re doing great with those things. Lemme tell you some details :

My camera is Canon PowerShot A700. I have Auto/Program/Manual mode for pics.

I mostly use Auto mode with Auto ISO, there is also High ISO in Auto mode. I turn on the colorizing most of the times.

Recently I started using Program mode. There I have : Auto ISO/High ISO/80/100/200/400/800 ISO. I sometimes turn on some of the effects like : bright, neutral, black/white, more/less colour and etc. The flash has settings from -2 to +2, it`s set on -1 now.

Important: flash setting is nothing to do with EV. This is just the strength of the flash, and is designed to be adjusted by the user for distance (if the subject is close, then turn it down).

Auto ISO is good for that camera - anything higher will result in a lot of noise.

So can you give me some tips. When it`s bright outside and I have sunlight, should I change the ISO. What should I do when taking shots in dark, like at night or in garages. And what is E/V? ;)

EV is used to tweak the camera's auto-exposure - by default the camera will guess the right exposure for whatever part of the screen you've told it to look at - by default this is whole scene but you can set it differently. Sometimes it will over or underexpose though, because it's not very good at guessing. If you find your images often overexposed then set -ve EV to tell the camera you want to expose less than it thinks is correct. This is usually appropriate for things like sunsets. Likewise things like snow are naturally going to result in a bright screen, so your camera will wrongly underexpose, so you set a +ve EV to compensate. With your camera you adjust EV with a separate button (looks like a rectangle made up of a dark and light triangle with a + and - sign).

My advice would be leave ISO on Auto - this will keep it between 80 and 200, the best range for the camera. If you half-press and it's indicating that it'd like to take a shot with too long an exposure (say anything longer than 1/30) then you have two choices: 1) Set the ISO higher yourself - this will result in bad noise though. 2) Use -ve EV to tell the camera to underexpose the scene. This might produce a darker image than you'd like, but at least it won't be blurry - you can then brighten the image a bit in your image editing program.

My other advice is to change the evaluation from 'whole scene' to 'centre weighted average' - this concentrates the camera on what you're pointing it at, rather than worrying about the corners, so you're more likely to get the exposure of the car correct and don't worry about having too bright or dark a background.