We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Lent... What're you giving up?

Who

I know that for various reasons, Lent is a time when people go without something in their lives. Post in this thread what you're going without, and maybe even why :D

For lent, I will be giving up meat (with the exception of fish). This is due to the fact that I eat a ridiculously large amount of meat, particularly pork, in my daily life. My main motivation is proving a point I suppose, my friends all believe me to crumble under withdrawal, to the extent that I have some pretty hefty wagers on it now.

A lesser motivation however is health. I have only had my bike for about a month but already I'm getting to be a lazy ass. During lent i will start canoeing again, and will probably be using a push bike for commuting again. I may even start swimming again. one of the main thing though is due best friend however, she has recently started a vegetarian diet and she has lost 5lb in the past 2 weeks, which is pretty nice to be honest (she has got such a great body *drool*)

just to clarify... i'm not doing this out of religious reasoning, this time of year just happens to be the established time that people 'fast'. I see this the same way as i see christmas, i give presents because everyone else has established it as the time to give presents, not for baby jesus

Nor have i hearad of this (im also chisrtian but this isnt the time or place for every one to bang on about their religon) anyway...

My Lent is to give up Vegtables.......just kidding *starts lecture* Vegtables are apart of a balanced diiii..........et

But my real lent is Junk food. because that isnt part of a balanced diiii...........et

maybe lent is an Anglican thing then, i don't think anyone else has pancake day today either (Shrove Tuesday)

It is a christian tradition though, it is to do with the days when Jesus fasted in the desert... 40 days, excluding Sundays... it ends on holy Saturday, which this time around is the 11th April... so I'm definitely having a BBQ on the Monday after, as it is my Birthday =D

Not only Anglican thing, that's for sure. Most religions have some kind of lent.

Not quite sure but I think Catholic and Orthodox Christian church got similar lent customs.

I'm Orthodox so I know we got 2 o 3 lent 'levels' ...

The most rigid, a 'Monk' lent is: no meat (even no fish), no anything from animal origin, like eggs, milk, cheese and such. Even no vegetable oils! Everything boiled in water! Very few practice this kind of lent, as u might think.

The most of believers practice the 'stock' lent, like: no animal products but fish, anything else is allowed, no sex, no smoking, no alcohol but wine, no swearing, no bad thoughts....:D

The duration can be from one day to about forty days, me thinks....

Me? No I don't do that, rarely go to Church, but sometimes I obey some of the rules on Christmas Eve and Easter Eve (or Holy Saturday)...

Guest RB26DETT

I'm baptized as Roman Catholic and observed lent since I was a wee lil' lad. Now that I'm older, let's just say I lost faith in my faith. ;) So yep, I'm not giving up anything this lent and haven't been for the past 3 years.

I thought it was when some people were not allowed to eat during the day, pancakes were to use up all the old stuff and was for the suffering of Jesus or something. This is probably some rubbish we we're taught in school and it actually stems from somewhere else like Christmas.

I'm not going to give up anything, I may do the oppersite and try and go to the gym more.

I have never heard of this lent thing, I can't say I am very religious though...

i don't think anyone else has pancake day today either

... But we do have a special day like that today however. :oook: Not for pancakes, but for a special kind of pastry:

img_498a34d7d93ce.jpg

I don't know if it is for religious reasons..

I'm giving up nothing! I see no point in giving up stuff i like to eat/drink/do, it's really wasting my time.

Well, the point of it is to show respect to God by giving up something you use alot of or do very fequentely in order to set aside more time to worship Him.

I am a very hardcore Christian and hope to be that way for the rest of my life, but i don't celebrate Lent. Reason being is because I don't think there is any scripture in the Bible that tells us to do this. If I find where it says it, I will begin to do it. But I think it is a tradition that people started a long time ago. I like the idea, but choose not to participate until the Bible tells me to. :)

Well, the point of it is to show respect to God by giving up something you use alot of or do very fequentely in order to set aside more time to worship Him.

Why show respect to someone/thing i believe doesn't and never has existed?