We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Aston Martin Lagonda Revived

Immelmann

Large%20Image.jpg?p=090304_10:39

04 March 2009 - 11:00

Geneva: Lagonda returns

The biggest surprise at this year's Geneva show? This. Aston Martin waited until day two to reveal its new Lagonda concept and, well, you need a minute to take it all in.

Huge isn't it? But despite the crossover-ish looks, Aston insists this new car isn't an SUV. It's a 'luxury car of the future' with an emphasis on comfort - it is four-wheel drive but that slightly raised ride height is about on-road versatility alone.

Power comes from a 6.0-litre V12 petrol engine, but there are plans to look into hybrid and low emission diesel options before the Lagonda reaches production in three or four years' time. Inside, it's a strict four-seater and it's all about luxury - there's an impressive mix of leathers and deep pile carpets that wouldn't look out of place on a Rolls.

SUV or not, the Lagonda is a bit of a departure for Aston. Fans of the brand who have just got their head round the Rapide saloon (due at the end of the year) might struggle with the idea of a big luxo-barge, but Aston says it's all about broadening the appeal of the brand and opening up the company to more markets worldwide.

The Lagonda concept currently sits on a platform borrowed from Mercedes, and Aston says it's looking to hook up with a partner company to share technology in the build of the road car. There's no word yet on which company this will be.

Prices are left to speculation too. But with a likely small production capacity, it'll be a seriously premium product and probably north of £250k. Would you pay that? Do you even want a luxury Aston wagon? Should stick to what they know? Log in at the box on the top of the page and add your comments below.

Source

All I have to say is wow. We are definitely going to get some mixed opinions here.

Guest LeetPix

front headlights look like they came from a bmw 5 series then got shrinked and streched o_O, i think it looks ugly, but awesome at the same time too D:

Sorry but I hate it ... not an Aston Lagonda to me it's a silly Crossover thingy to please Americans (no offence intended) ... if they wanted to call anything a Lagonda it should be the Rapide

But then I don't like the direction Astons current owners are taking the company ... I don't like the One-77 ... the styling is way too fussy for an Aston ... and this Crossover is just wrong for the brand

and before anyone says it ... the old Shooting Brake specials did fit the Aston branding ... this doesn't ... well that's my opinion

Agree fully with the above two posts. I loved the Rapide and thought it was a great idea, a spiritual successor to the Lagonda of the '80s, but this one is just wrong. Aston is right up there with Ferrari and Lamborghini, they really shouldn't be making SUVs. They're just way too far off the brand's core values. This Lagonda is ugly, ungainly, and really the wrong sort of car for 2009/2010. A 6.0l V12 SUV? You can do better than that Aston Martin....

Wow the Cayenne is suddenly pretty. It's the kind of nasty thing I'd expect from Infinity or Lexus (the fake prestige companies). I might just of tolerated this from Bentley on their crusade to cash in on the "Bling" factor but not Aston.. and to revive the Lagonda name for this?!? Shameful.

and before anyone says it ... the old Shooting Brake specials did fit the Aston branding ...

They won't don't worry, they are far too young.

I really do like that. However, it should definitely not have the Lagonda name, or to be honest the Aston Martin one either. It looks too much like a Bentley (although a Bentley wouldn't have that frankly awesome front grill). Its very interesting to see Aston going somewhat in a different direction, but I think it is too close to being an SUV, so it should be lower, and maybe a bit less chunky. Still though, I'd have one.

Sorry but I hate it ... not an Aston Lagonda to me it's a silly Crossover thingy to please Americans (no offence intended) ... if they wanted to call anything a Lagonda it should be the Rapide

But then I don't like the direction Astons current owners are taking the company ... I don't like the One-77 ... the styling is way too fussy for an Aston ... and this Crossover is just wrong for the brand

and before anyone says it ... the old Shooting Brake specials did fit the Aston branding ... this doesn't ... well that's my opinion

I couldnt agree more. The One-77 is ugly, not just fussym but flat out ugly.

If they want to bring the Lagonda back as an SUV, why dont they just steal an H1.

I honestly think it looks awful. I'm probably the only one but the front is so fugly as it is huge and far too flat and plain for my liking.

I Totally 10000000% Agree with you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a Ferrari Pickup Truck i would pay to see that. What Would it be, The Front of an Enzo and the back of a RAM! Lol.