We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

F1 Scoring System Reverted Back Until 2010!

Iced_Bullet

_45587251_f1grid_466_get.jpg

The new season starts with the Australian Grand Prix on 29 March

Formula 1 has axed plans for a new scoring system in 2009, just nine days before the start of the season.

The sport's governing body, FIA, announced earlier this week that the driver with the most wins would be crowned world champion.

But following a protest from F1 teams, FIA says it will defer the introduction of the new system until 2010.

The traditional points system will be used when the 2009 season begins on 29 March with the Australian Grand Prix.

A FIA spokesman told BBC Sport: "The new scoring system has been deferred until 2010' date=' but I'm sure this will be reviewed throughout the course of the season[/color'] as any new rule changes have to have teams approval before we proceed.

"We're slightly surprised that the teams have taken this long to come forward as we were under the impression that they were happy with the rule changes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7955790.stm

:thumbsup:

I personally feel that the top three drivers should earn 12, 9 and 7 (or even 14, 10 and 7), rather than 10, 8 and 6 points respectively. Then it gives more insentive to finish one place higher, meaning more overtaking and less "I'll settle for second, instead of trying to overtake first". If you understand .... :S

eurgh, why is it suddenly time to change the rules that have been around since pretty much the start. the rules have been fine for over half a century, why is the FIA so desperate to mess up the sport. glad for this season though it's business as usual

*Bangs on head on desk over and over again* ......

I don't know why everyone is complaining at the end of the day the driver with the most wins should win the championship it makes sense ..... its not hard to figure !!! Or maybe it is ?????

Either way I'm not too fussed about F1 this year because its all about the American Le Mans Series and judging by how good the 12 hours of Sebring has been so far today its gonna be awesome :D.

I don't know why everyone is complaining at the end of the day the driver with the most wins should win the championship it makes sense ..... its not hard to figure !!! Or maybe it is ?????

Say someone dominates the first half of the season. If he wins all the races in the first half of the season, he can just sit back in his hotel and enjoy the rest of the season from his living room. Whereas even if some other driver comes second all the time, and then clinches first, points will make the 2nd driver the winner.

(if that doesn't make sense, I'm sorry)

eurgh, why is it suddenly time to change the rules that have been around since pretty much the start. the rules have been fine for over half a decade, why is the FIA so desperate to mess up the sport. glad for this season though it's business as usual

Agreed.

They only change the rules because the past couple of seasons have been ooooo so close in the final points standings. Isn't that what makes the last race the best to watch? Knowing it could go 1 of 2, possibly 3, different ways?

Well I'm glad FOTA (Formula One Teams Association ... well I think that's the acronym meaning) have managed to argue with the FIA that the scoring change was illegal for this season ... not enough warning / discussion on the matter ... so normal and sensible service resumes ... for this season at least ... supposedly FOTA put the counter suggestion of increasing the points awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and in turn increasing the points gap between those places.

As has already been pointed out using the most number of wins scheme would mean that someone could win the championship on the first race after mid season (I won't put a number there as Bernie keeps on adding and removing races too !) So for me why would I watch the rest of the season if the Drivers championship has been won ... OK I'm a McLaren supporter (not a fan boy tho) but I don't care as much about which team wins a championship as much as which driver does.

I noticed due to the Forum 'hiccup' my previous post has been lost to the 'ether' so I'll add this ... the BBC had an interesting article regarding the points change and they showed what seasons would have been changed ... Moss would have won a championship, Mansell would have won 3 instead of 1 ... but then in recent history (most probably the only bit when most of this forums members would have watched) only one season would have been effected and that was last season where Massa would have beaten Hamilton ... and why is this the case ? Well for the recent history they did change the points scheme to give more of a differential for the higher placed drivers

As so back to my point that I'd previously made ... and a great engineering ethos

"why fix it if it ain't broke"