We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Anyone have a Smart ForTwo? Worth getting one?

iBilo

Hey guys,

I turn 17 in July and for my first car me and my parents have considered getting a 2nd hand Smart ForTwo cos its cheap on insurance, easy to park, does 70 miles to the gallon so cheaper fueling. I just want to know if any of you guys have one on here, if you do could you tell me if its worth buying and what are the pros and cons?

Cheers. :)

Smart. 1 accident and you're dead. So be smart, and don't get a Smart.

Old SmartForTwo City Coupe got 3 stars, but new '08 Smart For Two got one star more, so that's something.

u have many end user review sites to check, like this one so u better search there...http://www.carsurvey.org/

Maybe the Euro versions of the Smart make 70mpg, but the ones here in the states are only rated at 35mpg, not to mention that the ForTwo design is incredibly top heavy (with passengers inside) so you don't want to be going around any sharp corners with any speed, and if you want to carry anything larger than a dictionary it will have to sit in either the passenger seat or your lap.

If a truck hits you no matter what your in you don't stand alot of chance with 40ton hitting you.

The Smart four two only has 3 wheel nuts per wheel (random and useless info there).

If it gets nicked your screwed as it only takes half an hour to "re skin" one, as the original idea behind them was owners could "easily" change the colour of their car without hassle.

Oh and one nearly killed the top gear camera man as in the wet they don't like to turn corners.

On the up side they are quick and you can park n any space.

U mean like this?

-snip-

Yup, ull be dead :oook:

Not if you buy this one :p

smart.jpg

But seriously it isnt that bad (if you buy the Brabus version). Why dont you buy a smart roadster? they cost a bit more, but it looks way better and probably drives also better.

Speed? Handling? Truck hitting? Really that would be enough! Smart is downtown city car and all those crap means nothing. If u want a grand tourer though, Smart is truly not an option. If u'll use the car in jammed city areas and not be bothered about ur petrol head image, u should be fine. Otherwise buy urself a real car. Or a motorbike...

The smart is made to be a city car, To be stuck in traffic jams, Anyone that finds themselves on the motorway or with a high chance of crashing into a truck at high speed are definitely in the wrong car, if you think your going to be doing a lot of driving then dont get one, this is a city run about that would get you to work or the shop.

uhm, hahahahhaahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahha! that's soooo not true at all! :lol:

compare with this Ford mustang convertible!

Here u can see that the smart is a brilliant car!

Great idea, compare a car that has a roof and all the structural support that goes with having one to a car that has no roof and is lacking the support that a roof provides, and weighs twice as much (more inertia).

Great idea, compare a car that has a roof and all the structural support that goes with having one to a car that has no roof and is lacking the support that a roof provides, and weighs twice as much (more inertia).

Ahh yes Flawless Logic FTW :D

Maybe true, but u'd never say 'don't buy a Mustang convertible, or u'll crash it and die!' would u?

Ppl are afraid of little cars 'cause there's not much of a mass around u to protect u on impact, but this stays as a mental barrier issue...

Nothing can save u from truck smashing but Smart is as safe as any other normal car. It wouldn't get four stars otherwise...