We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TheScottishSpotter's Photography Topic! *Update : 10/07/09 !*

The Queen

Thanks for the tips Mb. Yeah I agree with the grass actually, looking again, maybe it should be toned down a little.

I must say though I didn't realise you could see the curviture of the earth, until you mentioned it. ;)

-------------------------------

Ok I tried doing what you suggested Mb and heres the result. ;)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/ArbroathCliffs1small3.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohhh. i rarely post process any of my images, except for the ones i really like. well i can't atm as my laptop is dead and i'm using my sister's laptop which doesn't have PS. :p

Use http://www.picnik.com - I can't be bothered with PS either so I use that instead

You should when you get a chance. I never used to do any post processing but now I do it with nearly every image I upload on the net. It has made a huge difference!

Same here

And about your photo, i agree about the grass, but IMO the people should remain in the shot because they add a bit of, er, interest to the shot. Can't find the exact word at the moment... Also, maybe you should up the colour temperature a bit? Slightly too cold as it is

Couldn't resist to do a little edit :p

11llefo.jpg

What did i do:

- Took away some of the green

- I let the see and air as blue as it was, looks awesome imo.

- Deleted people

- Took away boat

- Aligned the horizon.

TSS's first edit simply took out saturation, making it look bland, and Mb's edit just doesn't look as good - the sea has been made more blue, which doesn't really work when you have removed some of the green.

I also feel that the people and boat added a little bit of detail to otherwise a fairly [i don't want to use the word ordinary here, but you get the idea] picture. It does work without the people, as they are on the land, but I think the boat should be left in.

And indeed Mb - what did you align the horizon with exactly?

For me, the original is the best one here.

Hm... I'm stuck then as I like a bit of every edit and I also like the original with the people.

I suppose it all boils down to taste and if you like the people and boat then thats what you like but others may not like this.

Anyway moving on to the next image. :p

I thought I would try something a bit different. I'm not usually one for taking photo's of trucks but this one was in the right place at the right time and it was one of my favourite liveries so couldn't miss out on the opportunity.

I have selectively coloured this image for several reasons. The audi to the left was a bright blue colour and that was distracting to the eye so had to somehow lose the vibrance of the colour without cloning it out as that wouldn't have worked. I wanted to also make the viewers attention more focused on the truck than anything else.

Some of the parts of buildings I had to clone out also as I wanted a good crop and this was the only way I could do so and I also blurred the background a little to make the truck pop out from everything else around so that you could see the truck was the main focus object in the image and I think I have managed this quite well.

#10 - Innovate Logistics Lorry, passing through Perth City Centre.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/IMG_4488edit7small.jpg

As always comments and crits welcome. I'm interested to see the responses to this as it's not something you take a photo of every day and it's a bit "different" shall we say, so yeah. ;)

First things first, never ever use any kind of photoshop blur to 'bring out' a subject. It just makes the photo look weird. You've done more than enough to bring out the lorry by making the background B&W, which I'm not a fan of either - try boosting the reds in the original photo to bring out the orange, without having to remove all the other colours (depends obviously on what the bg colours were, but try it out).

The problem with these is that it looks like you photoshopped the lorry in - so it doesn't quite work IMO. But other than that nice composition and set out!

Ok thanks for the comments everyone. Not gonna quote them individually. I have spent like half an hour in photoshop doing some more edits and I have another two which incorporate the ideas which people have said.

The first one is with no blurred background and still has the B&W background as I think it really does suit the shot.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/IMG_4488edit9small.jpg

The second is with no blurred background but still has the original background and have saturated the colours on the truck to make it stand out a bit. Not too fond of this though.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/IMG_4488edit11.jpg

Right next photo. Taken today so fresh from the camera.

Lovely SL55 AMG spotted, parked up today in St Andrews when I had a wander around so couldn't help myself from taking a photo!

I think I did well, the photo is sharp, I like the crop, the rear lights really stand out and like the overall composition.

#11 - Mercedes SL55 AMG parked up, St Andrews.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/IMG_9523edit3smalllogo1tsspt.jpg

As always comments and crits welcomed. ;)

I would try and darken the background a bit (maybe play with the curves or select it separately and turn down the exposure), and also re-do the numberplate to make it look more realistic - it needs to look like its just a blank numberplate, rather than blanked out.

But everything else is damn perfect for my liking :)

Thanks for the comments Davey. About the background, yeah I could probably darken it, will maybe do an edit and post it up early tomorrow as I don't have time to do it now.

Yeah I suppose the plate needs redoing but it's not too bad imo.

I love it, But the only negative i can think of are the cars to the right of the image, they kind of make that side of the car a lot darker than the rest of the image ...... Though thats something that cant be edited in PS

Not too sure on this. I quite like the shadow effect this gives on the image without the car being the same brightness all around.