We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PhOTW: Week 22 Entry

Speedtouch

The focus of the last 2 images is not the sky imo. Just some random scenery shot.

For once, I actually agree with Mb here. The idea of this theme was indeed not necessarily to just point the camera up (I'm looking at you Diablo :p) - even though that is fine; it was mainly to use the sky to creative effect (keeping your creative licenses within reason, mind) and to enhance the image.

That is, not to simply use an existing photo which has sky in it. Sky is in a lot of photos, especially landscape ones. That doesn't mean a landscape photo counts as a photo of a sky.

I would like to say now, the reason for me doing this is to get people being creative by taking photos to a theme. There is way too much of rule-bending here by not following the theme. I'll see what other people say about this, but its certainly not favourable from me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For once, I actually agree with Mb here. The idea of this theme was indeed not necessarily to just point the camera up (I'm looking at you Diablo :p) - even though that is fine; it was mainly to use the sky to creative effect (keeping your creative licenses within reason, mind) and to enhance the image.

That is, not to simply use an existing photo which has sky in it. Sky is in a lot of photos, especially landscape ones. That doesn't mean a landscape photo counts as a photo of a sky.

I would like to say now, the reason for me doing this is to get people being creative by taking photos to a theme. There is way too much of rule-bending here by not following the theme. I'll see what other people say about this, but its certainly not favourable from me.

Well my picture has sky in it, and not just a little bit. There is like 30 miles worth of sky at least.

In the theme you did not say you weren't allowed other things in the picture other than sky.

No he didn't, it's like PotW, not every rule can be explained. Use common sense. The main focal point of your picture isn't the sky, yes it contains it, but that doesn't mean it applies to the rules ... and I guess if we were going to be pedantic, we could say that Speedtouch's might not even qualify imo.

No he didn't, it's like PotW, not every rule can be explained. Use common sense. The main focal point of your picture isn't the sky, yes it contains it, but that doesn't mean it applies to the rules ... and I guess if we were going to be pedantic, we could say that Speedtouch's might not even qualify imo.

Well if you disqualify mine, then you're going to have to disqualify Baldreds, Knuckles, imintheshower, speedtouch, car freaks and GTAMADOGS.

You're going to have a pretty empty PhOTW if you ask me.

Oh and speedtouch, you posted before me and you have a picture of where you live as the main subject in your photo. I also have a photo of where I live in my photo.

So if you disqualify me, you'll have to disqualify yourself.

E: Long time posting means this is at your first post: I didn't no, but the idea of a theme is that it dictates the subject of the photo. In your photo, the subject is the wall, with the field as the close background, and the town as the far background. The sky isn't really part of the photo, other than physically.

As I said, taking a photo including the sky is not properly following the theme. Using that sky to enhance the image is. Even what quite a lot of people have done and literally taking a photo of the sky is better too.

Edit about your second post:

As I say above, the image does not necessarily have to be of just the sky. However that doesn't mean it just has to include the sky. The sky has to be what makes the image, rather than the landscape or a different subject. Going over your list of people's photos, I would say that just Baldred's, (possibly Knuckles', but I'm not quite sure atm), yours and GTAMADDOG's need rethinking.

imintheshower's, Car Freak's and mine all follow the basic same principles of partly or completely removing what would be the subject (the buildings) if it had been exposed, lighted or composed (or more reasons) differently. The sky takes over that role of being the subject.

The first thing notice when looking at Baldy's photo is the water, and stones going into it, the first thing i notice when looking at Mark's photo is the lights on the skyscrapers, the first thing i notice when looking at ST's photo is the House, but the first thing i notice when looking at Mellors' photo is how far you can see in the distance, which is the closest thing to the theme of the pictures i've posted in this thread in my opinion anyway :)

^ I do partly agree with you there. But Mellors' photo's subject is the wall (its what I see first), and the observation of distance is the background, giving the photo some depth and setting. And being able to see far away isn't the theme - the sky is.

I wonder why I do this sometimes.

^ I do partly agree with you there. But Mellors' photo's subject is the wall (its what I see first), and the observation of distance is the background, giving the photo some depth and setting. And being able to see far away isn't the theme - the sky is.

I wonder why I do this sometimes.

I do agree with you on some of that, but i also think that its identical for many of the other Entries, maybe its worth talking with highline on editing the theme to maybe an outdoor one, that way all photos currently posted can be entered :)

^ I didn't come up with the rule - copied it from somewhere - might have been PoTW, but I don't remember. The idea of it is that the winning picture is the best -irrelevant of how many wins they have in a row, that photo goes in the hall of fame. And that the rules state that though the winner can't choose the theme, they can choose the person who chooses the theme, which is who they thought took the best picture.

I guess that the second place system could work, but there would be times when there is more than one second place, which would make things take longer and be more complicated - I have to get everyone to choose a common theme, as I'm not going the way of PTOTW (or the week it happened on PhOTW) and having more than one theme.