We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My "old" Gaming PC (upgraded)

Camel

It's not too bad for a PC that was made for £500 last April. I'm planning on upgrading it in the near future. :D

I'm wanting to an Nvidia GTX 3** when they come out later this year.

Case: Antec 900 with a fan controller so I can make it run silent.

Motherboard: ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition Deneb 45nm.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master something or other. But it's good. 2 highspeed 120MM fans on it. It keeps my CPU at 40C with all the fans turned off, and 25-30 with them on at about 75%

RAM: 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400. Overclocked to 1066Mhz and 5-5-5-15

GFX: Nvidia 9800GTX overclocked running in Hybrid SLI with onboard Nvidia 8200.

HDDs: 2x Maxtor SATA II 250GB, an old PATA 160GB which I use as a backup hard drive and a 1TB WD external.

PSU: Some £50 800W thing, can't remember what it is lol, but it does the job!

Monitor: 32" LG32LC56 HDTV, through HDMI which means sound.

My PC, 3 of my speakers, amp, xbox 360 hole place and TV.

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

Front with the fan controller thingymajig.

Inside the case. As you can see, I have superb painting skills. I didn't like the grey colour so I painted it black.

This is how big my CPU cooler is. It only just fits in the case. It presses against the side window. But at least I know it's wedged in so it won't drop off one day. :D

Nice rig, but why dont you go for a 4890 instead off a 285 for your upgrade?

Because I have a decent nForce motherboard with 3 PCI-E 16x slots. And I can get three GTX 285s in SLI. If I went for an ATI card, I would need a new motherboard for Crossfire.

Plus for personal use, I will only go for Nvidia and AMD. As whenever I had Intel or ATI I only got problems with them. Call me a fanboy if you wish. But I do recommend the better product to other people.

shouldn't somebody make a thread specifically just for this, so there aren't a number of threads of the same thing, just different people?

Everyone is free to post such things, plus he wants to upgrade it soon and he'll be asking for advices and opinions. And imagine a thread where everyone post their rigs and want advices, it'll get too messy. ;)

What I love about PCs is the ability to take something that's getting a bit old and just by replacing parts as funds allow you can keep it up to date and really fast. My PC will be turning four years old later this year, and I'm only just considering changing it later when DX11 cards come down in price and Core i7 builds become feasible. AMD are providing great performance for the money these days as well, just like four years ago :)

You're making it pretty messy.

Exactly. AF, if you have nothing usefull to post, the just don't post at all.

What I love about PCs is the ability to take something that's getting a bit old and just by replacing parts as funds allow you can keep it up to date and really fast. My PC will be turning four years old later this year, and I'm only just considering changing it later when DX11 cards come down in price and Core i7 builds become feasible. AMD are providing great performance for the money these days as well, just like four years ago :)

That's why I prefer my PC to my Xbox. I can upgrade it as and when I want to and it's easy to do.

Seeing as the car I was gonna get isn't on offer any more, I think I'll wait till early next year when hopefully the new DX11 cards will out. I'll still be sticking with Nvidia and AMD though.

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, I am not. If it was a new build, I'd probably go for Intel and ATI. But seeing as I spent £150 on a new motherboard a few months ago I'll be sticking with Nvidia and AMD.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered myself an AMD Phenom II 955 black Edition. It's AM3 so I can upgrade my motherboard to AM3 and RAM to DDR3 whenever I want to now. :)

I will be overclocking it when I get it. Aiming to reach a cool and stable 4Ghz with my cooler.

Anyone else got the 955 or any other Phenom II CPUs?

Just ordered myself an AMD Phenom II 955 black Edition. It's AM3 so I can upgrade my motherboard to AM3 and RAM to DDR3 whenever I want to now. :)

I will be overclocking it when I get it. Aiming to reach a cool and stable 4Ghz with my cooler.

Anyone else got the 955 or any other Phenom II CPUs?

Good man nice cpu :thumbsup:

Good man nice cpu :thumbsup:

You're only saying that because it performs as well as your i7 920. :cheeky:

One of the main reasons for buying it was that my brother needs a new CPU, so I said he could have mine, which meant I had an excuse to buy a new one. And it was only £140

I have that processor in my rig, great CPU :).

Let me know how well it overclocks please, are you going to use AMD Overdrive or BIOS?

Ewwww ewwww ewwwww ewwwwww. Software overclocking of the CPU may not have a presence in this thread. :cheeky:

I only use the BIOS to overclock the CPU, RAM and any voltages. It takes longer but it's a bit safer and much more accurate. I'm not flashing my GFX card so I use software for that.

I'll probably be overclocking it on Sunday or Monday so I'll get back to you on that. I should hopefully be able to reach the 4Ghz mark with my mobo and cooler, but I'd be happy with 3.8Ghz from it.

Mellors dont you think 4ghz is tooooo much? lol our beasty cpu dont need to run that quick :D

pure brilliance

Yea, it's too much, but I wanna get the most out of my money. And when just on the internet, it will be running at about a third of that because of my power options hack. :lol: