We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What do you think of this PC?

Cakeflour

Well, it looks like I'll be getting a new PC soon. :D I'll be donating my current Dell 1730 laptop as our family computer, and in exchange I get a brand new desktop.

Now, I don't really know that much about hardware (a radeon what?!?), so I'd like some opinions on this PC setup (Please excuse the obvious fact that I copy and pasted the product summary :o) :

Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme 3.33 GHz 8MB Cache

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

AlienFX®: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Fusion Red

Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Approved CPU Liquid Cooling +

Acoustic Dampening

Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295

Memory: 12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366

Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1 plus Free Windows 7 Upgrade Option

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 32MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)

Enthusiast Essentials: Killer Xeno Pro

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support

Security Software: McAfee® VirusScan® Plus 9 -15-Month Subscription Factory Installed!

Total cost: $3,659.00 (That's with $300 instant savings)

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

What are you going to do with it? (gaming?, photoshop?) its a nice setup but you dont need 12GB ram. 6GB (tripple channel) is enough. The processor is fast, but you can also buy a i7 920 and you can overclock that easily to 4ghz. The videocard is something that depends on what you're going to do with it, but if you got a small screen than its definently overkill.

I understand you dont know much about hardware, but i should build your own instead off buying an expensive Alienware. It isnt that hard and it safes you alott of money. And if you cant do it there are always webstores where you can buy the hardware and they can putt it also toghether.

It really depends on what you wish to do with it, you'll have to supply that information. But honestly that's much better than the requirements for TDU. Also, that's a lot of money for a new computer and maybe the parts that go into it might be too advanced for games that you purchase. But good luck with geeting something like that!

I agree with everyone else, your trying to buy a computer that you have no need for. for example 12GB ram sounds cool but remeber most applications such as photoshop will only use up to 4GB.

You should by "Value" so buy the i7 920 then overclock to 3.8 like i have with mine.

Buy a simple but effective case, i recommend coolermaster or antec

and for the video card i recommend either a GTX 275 or a GTX 280.

all this will max out anything you run, anything higher spec is just a waste at the minuet.

I should go for something like this:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (processor)

HD 4890 1024MB GDDR (videocard)

Cooler Master HAF 932 (case)

Asus M4A79T Deluxe (motherboard)

Scythe Mugen 2 (processor cooler)

Ati/AMD has the best bang for bucks nowadays and they are pretty fast

I hate to burst your bubble but you'll be paying a premium for having anything to do with Alienware.

As most other people are suggesting, well I think they are, you'd be better off building the computer yourself. Save yourself some money for the more important things in life.

What are you going to do with it? (gaming?, photoshop?)

Gaming.

I understand you dont know much about hardware, but i should build your own instead off buying an expensive Alienware. It isnt that hard and it safes you alott of money. And if you cant do it there are always webstores where you can buy the hardware and they can putt it also toghether.

I'm afraid building a computer myself is out of the question. Between the fact that I wouldn't have any idea what I would be doing, and the fact that my dad would never agree to give me the money to build my own PC, it's just not practical. ;)

It really depends on what you wish to do with it, you'll have to supply that information. But honestly that's much better than the requirements for TDU. Also, that's a lot of money for a new computer and maybe the parts that go into it might be too advanced for games that you purchase. But good luck with geeting something like that!

I was hoping to play upper-level, highly graphical games (i.e. Crysis, Far Cry 2, GTAIV, CoD:WaW, etc.) at max graphics settings. :D

I know 12GB seems like overkill, but I plan to keep this computer for quite a while, and I want it to last. :)

Gaming.

I'm afraid building a computer myself is out of the question. Between the fact that I wouldn't have any idea what I would be doing, and the fact that my dad would never agree to give me the money to build my own PC, it's just not practical. ;)

I was hoping to play upper-level, highly graphical games (i.e. Crysis, Far Cry 2, GTAIV, CoD:WaW, etc.) at max graphics settings. :D

I know 12GB seems like overkill, but I plan to keep this computer for quite a while, and I want it to last. :)

Believe me 12GB ram is really overkill since there are no games that need so much ram. In the future when there is a new genaration console's than it will be handy. But for now 6GB (tripple channel) is enough and if you need more ram you can buy that and click it in your motherboard.

Urrmmm How Bout a Dell? Have Absolutely know idea what any of these means. Good Luck Anyway

Dells are good, but not for gaming. Since the graphics card always sucks. And its not "fututre proof" since you cant upgrade much on a Dell and the cases are always to small.

looks ridiculous to me. i have 1Gb on a 1.8ghz dual, and it can happily run Win7 and can run TDU pretty comfortably too. something that powerful is massive overkill.

and people say a powermac is expensive!

:p windows 7 doesnt need much. But if you want to play games like Crysis(warhead) you need alott more than 1GB and a 1.8ghz dual core.

Urrmmm How Bout a Dell?

He is - Alienware are Dell.

Alienware are great - if you've never had experience of one then do go and play with one before forming an opinion - they are worth the extra IMO. But that's only if you can afford it. In terms of value for money they're not very good at all, but if you have the money then you're not wasting it getting an Alienware.

Overclockers do some great stuff. Mine cost £800, tower only, and it runs every game (inc Crysis &GTA IV) on high setting at 1080p res with huge framerates.

For 1500 quid or so you can get an awesome rig that's pretty future proof.

This is just an example.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-079-OE

I'm sure there are similar sites for USA

Even though their stuff is good, I think you pay a very big premium for Alienware imho.

Believe me 12GB ram is really overkill since there are no games that need so much ram. In the future when there is a new genaration console's than it will be handy. But for now 6GB (tripple channel) is enough and if you need more ram you can buy that and click it in your motherboard.

Like I said in my last post, I will be keeping this computer for a good deal of time (hopefully 4+ years), and I want it to last. Yeah, I could get 6GB now and then upgrade later, but what's the point? It's only $200 extra, and I don't have to install it myself. ;)

All I really wanted to know was how well this setup could run upper-level games. Guess I should have made that more clear. >_>

Like I said in my last post, I will be keeping this computer for a good deal of time (hopefully 4+ years), and I want it to last. Yeah, I could get 6GB now and then upgrade later, but what's the point? It's only $200 extra, and I don't have to install it myself. ;)

All I really wanted to know was how well this setup could run upper-level games. Guess I should have made that more clear. >_>

Dont get me wrong but why would you spend $200 extra on something that you dont need now? DDR3 is getting cheaper and cheaper so you can buy an extra 6GB alott cheaper if you buy it later. And here is a simple guide how to install it:

install-ddr.gif

That isnt so hard, is it?

I totally agree on building your own PC. As hard as it may sound, it's really just screwing in parts together from what I've heard. It's better to save money on building it than it is to buy from a manufacture, considering they also put a bunch of bits together; it is also better because the manufacture doesn't charge extra for the assembly, therefore, you save a couple hundred dollars.

Todays games will run absolutely fine. Future games.. we don't know - your graphics card is only DirectX10 (not even 10.1) so if future games take advantage of 10.1 or 11 which is out soon then you'll miss out on those settings, but I don't think that's likely to happen for a while.