We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Panamera Convertible! Not Joking!

gingervette

REPORT: Porsche Panamera Convertible is coming soon

by Jonny Lieberman (RSS feed) on Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:57PM

panamera-vert-chop-620op4.jpg

According to a recent report, Porsche will produce a Panamera Convertible. Now, it's not the hoped for four-door convertible. Rather, in the interest of keeping some semblance of chassis rigidity, Porsche is going with a two-door, four-seat convertible. Two doors will also help to keep the weight (ha ha) down. Besides the fact that lots of folks like convertibles, why is Porsche building this car? "We have a broad range of 14 derivatives of the 911 that are very successful," development chief Wolfgang Duerheimer told Automobilwoche. "So it stands to reason we should diversify the lineup for the Panamera as well."

Perhaps a little more interesting is what comes at the end of the article confirming Porsche's newest drop top. Since Volkswagen now owns Porsche, the Panamera platform could be used for other products. Imagine the next Bentley Continental being built off a Porsche chassis, instead of the one used for the Phaeton/A8. Or, potentially even better, the Lamborghini Estoque. Neat stuff. Says an unnamed VW board member, "The new Porsche (Panamera) offers the potential for synergies." We're 67% convinced that's good. But uh, as long as they're going two door, might we make a suggestion? 928! 928! 928!

They are actually serious about this...

There are people wanting to be seen in this?

Koenigsegg is a fan of the Panamera I think.

This car is a very ugly car, I think its actually a decent chassis and maybe they can build a (Hopefully) good looking 928 as a DB9 rival. Its like they just did anything just for money.... |:

Koenigsegg is a fan of the Panamera I think.

Yes, I am. Cause it's a properly good piece of German engineering. As for this one, I'm sure that will never come out. I can guarantee it with my both testicles that this will never come out of Porsche's production line. It's a 4 door luxury convertiable, just the idea of it is retrarded, that photo is so obvious photoshop and it's all rumours. I think Porsche are wise enough not to make such thing. ;)

Yes, I am. Cause it's a properly good piece of German engineering. As for this one, I'm sure that will never come out. I can guarantee it with my both testicles that this will never come out of Porsche's production line. It's a 4 door luxury convertiable, just the idea of it is retrarded, that photo is so obvious photoshop and it's all rumours. I think Porsche are wise enough not to make such thing. ;)

*Gets sharp knife* Hope you're right, you just risked the safeness of your nuts :twisted:

It's a 4 door luxury convertiable, just the idea of it is retrarded

Now, it's not the hoped for four-door convertible. Rather, in the interest of keeping some semblance of chassis rigidity, Porsche is going with a two-door, four-seat convertible.

Erm... :facepalm:

Was reading Automobile today, and things are looking up for Porsche, via Volkswagen. Apparently, they're cutting the Cayenne (yay!) or perhaps basing a replacement off the Q5 (better, at least), and doing some stuff with the Panamera. They may collaborate with Lambo to make a Panamera-based Estoque, or change it into a two door:

Like a 928.

:)

-Leadfoot

;239081']Apparently' date=' they're cutting the Cayenne (yay!)[/quote']

I can only imagine that information would be false. Like the Cayenne or not, it's been a big seller for them and so far doesn't really have any competition from the higher prestige marques (Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari etc). Therefore cutting it would be a ludicrous move.

I can only imagine that information would be false. Like the Cayenne or not, it's been a big seller for them and so far doesn't really have any competition from the higher prestige marques (Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari etc). Therefore cutting it would be a ludicrous move.

Then this, probably:

;239081']or perhaps basing a replacement off the Q5

As a 500-horsepower full-size SUV, the Cayenne isn't exactly what Porsche needs right now, with the recession and global warming, and crossovers would be more popular and still have very little competition. So maybe they're not getting rid of it altogether - good point.

-Leadfoot