We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

I give up...

The Queen

Ok, I have tried and tried to find out the problem with my computer...but to no avail. I have so far changed my motherboard, my soundcard, my harddrive, my operating system and my graphics card and I am still getting the same defects and freezes but they are worse now.

For example I got Borderlands today, tried to play it this evening and it just keeps freezing up, sometimes hardlocking etc... The cutscenes at the start are fine and run very smooth but when I get to the point where I take control it all goes pearshaped.

I installed Windows 7 yesterday and installed the 64-bit version as I wanted to take advantage of the 4GB of RAM I have. It's been running fine for everything except games and downloading things and for some reason my download speed is much lower when using Windows 7 compared to XP.

I have tried numerous measures to try and counteract the problem such as updating my graphics drivers and then rolling back to previous ones, running games in XP SP3 compatibility mode and Vista SP2 mode and rebooting my computer etc... but nothing has helped.

I have no idea what to do or where to go next. The only things I haven't changed on my computer are my power supply, processor and RAM. (which I changed last year)

Does anybody have any idea as to what is wrong or how I could fix it? I only got a replacement graphics card the other day, which is an OCX instead of an OC2, thinking that would solve the problem but it hasn't. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :(

Dave... change the power supply you donkey!

From my experience, I had exactly the same problem as you. Updated my PSU as I've said and the problems went away. I only had to upgrade to a better PSU because of the new graphics card. The old one is still going pretty strong in my cousin's PC...

Freezes, from a different perspective, could be caused by defective RAM. Try using 1gb/2gb (depending on what configuration of sticks you have) and try again. If it works on 2gb, but not on 4gb, use the other stick of RAM and try again. If it freezes, then TADA!!! If not then maybe the RAM needs underclocking ever so slightly (As the higher the clock on the RAM, the less stable it is)

Hope your problems are fixed soon...

Dave... change the power supply you donkey!

From my experience, I had exactly the same problem as you. Updated my PSU as I've said and the problems went away. I only had to upgrade to a better PSU because of the new graphics card. The old one is still going pretty strong in my cousin's PC...

Freezes, from a different perspective, could be caused by defective RAM. Try using 1gb/2gb (depending on what configuration of sticks you have) and try again. If it works on 2gb, but not on 4gb, use the other stick of RAM and try again. If it freezes, then TADA!!! If not then maybe the RAM needs underclocking ever so slightly (As the higher the clock on the RAM, the less stable it is)

Hope your problems are fixed soon...

But what happens if I change it and then I still get problems? Also I don't know if I should RMA it or change it and buy a different one.

Thanks Mellors for that link. So I just download, say for example, the ISO for Windows and then burn it on a disc and insert it into the disc drive when my PC is starting up?

It could also be that the memory is incompatible with your your motherboard, as i've had the same problem in the past. and in which case the memtest program may not find any faults, also check your motherboard manufacturers website to see if they have a compatible memory list. the last thing to try is to see if you could borrow some memory of the same spec off of a friend.

and if none of that works try changing to more powerful PSU.

Hope this helps

I had a similar problem a year ago when I upgraded my CPU, RAM and motherboard. I found the problem was with one of the 2GB RAM sticks I had bought. I took that out and everything ran smooth. As soon as I put that RAM back in the computer would lock up anywhere. I could be sat on the desktop or in FireFox and my PC would just lock up completely.

I don't know what I had changed by December last year but I put the same 2GB RAM back in my PC and it's worked faultlessly up until today.

I had PSU woes before that. I'd changed the graphics card and added more cooling to my CPU and my PC was still behaving strangely. It didn't lock up, I just had massive FPS drops in games and while watching full screen videos. I could be on Counter Strike playing at 90FPS+ and then my FPS would dive right down to 9FPS. Seems like the power supply could no longer handle the demands even though it was said to be able to supply enough power for my setup at the time.

Get a 1000w PSU and you're fine. :)

That's not necessarily the best course of action. You could get a low quality 1000W PSU and yet it never will be able to produce that. If you get a higher quality PSU, say a corsair hx750 (which is 750W) then you will be much better off in the long run :)

Get a 1000w PSU and you're fine. :)

And you are going to give me money to get a 1000w PSU because I will tell you now, they are expensive! And as i'm about to say, they might be absolutely crap unless you get a good one.

That's not necessarily the best course of action. You could get a low quality 1000W PSU and yet it never will be able to produce that. If you get a higher quality PSU, say a corsair hx750 (which is 750W) then you will be much better off in the long run :)

I completely agree. This happened before. I went through 2 PSU's in a year and they were just bog standard crappy ones but with a high wattage. Yeah I have a Corsair HX620w atm but thinking along the lines of a 750 or 850. I spent £110 on my PSU at the time so it's not exactly crap either, probably just too low a wattage is the case even if it's producing 620!

Well my new PSU (Corsair HX750w) was delivered today, I fitted it up and it is working and in perfect order and guess what...

I STILL HAVE THE SAME GOD-DAMN PROBLEMS! :mad:

But it's ok at least I have a "spare one now". I honestly have no idea what to do next. I have no idea what else it could be. I mean it could be the motherboard or the processor or the new graphics card I got from the RMA I did and I am sure as hell not spending more money replacing them just to solve the problem. I really want to know what is the route of this problem because it really is ticking me off now. :rolleyes:

Did you do that on purpose...? :confused: :cheeky:

:lol:

I reckon you were just waiting for something funny to happen before you posted in here. ;)

Anyway, no. No components are overlocked. At least they were on the harddrive with XP but I believe when you get a new HDD and install another OS, it puts it back to stock.

No. :eek:

Although I do hope his computer isn't overcocked.

:lol:

I reckon you were just waiting for something funny to happen before you posted in here. ;)

Anyway, no. No components are overlocked. At least they were on the harddrive with XP but I believe when you get a new HDD and install another OS, it puts it back to stock.

Is it a BIOS overclock? Or did you use software from within your OS?

No. :eek:

Although I do hope his computer isn't overcocked.

Is it a BIOS overclock? Or did you use software from within your OS?

It was a BIOS one but it seems to be back on stock clocks from what I can see so it's all good.

Anyway I have come to the conclusion that it is my graphics card again and that I was given a faulty card. Basically I got out my old 8800 and thought there would be no harm in putting it in again just to see if it was the graphics card and what happened? There were no random defects or freezes or anything of that kind, it ran Borderlands flawlessly. (apart from a bit of a frame rate drop which is just because the 8800 isn't that great)

So I guess it's just a case of contacting BFG, setting up yet another RMA and sending it in and hoping to god I get a functioning card back! Saying that, I do think their service is top notch but it's just a bit annoying that I get another faulty card back, but of course it's not really their fault as it was brand new.

Anyway now that I have two power supplies, I will be selling my old one which is a "Corsair HX620w" and it's the professional series one, never let me down once in nearly a year of use either. If you do or know someone needing a new power supply I am willing to sell it for about £70 excluding postage as they are £97 brand new shipped at their cheapest. It has basically no marks on it and looks in new condition. All cables will be supplied as well as the original box and bag etc... :)

It was a BIOS one but it seems to be back on stock clocks from what I can see so it's all good.

Anyway I have come to the conclusion that it is my graphics card again and that I was given a faulty card. Basically I got out my old 8800 and thought there would be no harm in putting it in again just to see if it was the graphics card and what happened? There were no random defects or freezes or anything of that kind, it ran Borderlands flawlessly. (apart from a bit of a frame rate drop which is just because the 8800 isn't that great)

So I guess it's just a case of contacting BFG, setting up yet another RMA and sending it in and hoping to god I get a functioning card back! Saying that, I do think their service is top notch but it's just a bit annoying that I get another faulty card back, but of course it's not really their fault as it was brand new.

Anyway now that I have two power supplies, I will be selling my old one which is a "Corsair HX620w" and it's the professional series one, never let me down once in nearly a year of use either. If you do or know someone needing a new power supply I am willing to sell it for about £70 excluding postage as they are £97 brand new shipped at their cheapest. It has basically no marks on it and looks in new condition. All cables will be supplied as well as the original box and bag etc... :)

Sorry for wasting your money dude :ill:. These problems are usually the cause of a lack of amperage going through the 12V rail to something or other.. Anyway, enjoy the new PSU :D lol

little question:

what's your cpu?

i'm not sure but if u had change your m/b, probably it don't recognize your cpu.

u can resolve it (if it is the problem) with a bios upgrade to the latest version.

I tell u this because when i built a quad core pc, the m/b don't recognize the cpu like a quad core and the machine don't gone ahead with the installation of OS (seems like freeze). After a bios update everything gone well.

P.S. sorry if my english is not perfect with the coniugations

Sorry for wasting your money dude :ill:. These problems are usually the cause of a lack of amperage going through the 12V rail to something or other.. Anyway, enjoy the new PSU :D lol

No problem, not your fault. I went and bought the power supply so it's under my own belt. At least I know for a fact it wasn't the PSU. ;)

Most likley faulty ram. Its cheap so you prob should have changed that first. Hate to break it to you but a 620 watt corsair is more than enough for your system and all corsair PSU's come with a lifetime warranty. I would update the bios on your motherboard using Asus' EZ-Flash system and if that doesnt work get some new ram.

Edit sorry, never read the whole thread :facepalm:

• 1 month later...

Skipping the above posts, I had the same problem that drove me mad for a good 6 months. I built a system with 4GB of DDR3 Corsair RAM, when DDR3 was pretty new. Swapped pretty much every part with replacements from the supplier, ran the system as bare as possible, formatted a lot, ran MemTest after MemTest, Burn-In tests, etc. The thing that made the largest difference was selling my RAM at a loss, then changing to OCZ, 4GB DDR3. PC hardly ever freezes now (occasionally, maybe once a fortnight, which I can sortof live with).

Hope this helps.