We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU 2 *pre-production* report from Eden Games intern (2007)

Eudemon

Alright folks?!

Well you probably have heard or read me mentioning a report I found that detailed a lot about the pre-production of TDU 2 by an intern Graphics Artist, who spent 3 months at Eden Games under the watchful eye of Benoît Boucher (now at Ivory Tower) and working within a team including the ever talented Pascal Casolari, whose work you have seen in the many concept images that we have here.

The report does say a good bit and says a lot about the goings on with Alone in the Dark development and a small mention on the whole Atari Inc vs Infogrames disagreement at the end. Unfortunately images that used to be in the original report have been removed (not by me!) as you will see references made to images that should be within in the report itself. Dang it! :(

The report is in French so for the best view it's good to know someone who can translate accurately, though Google et al do a decent job enough. :D

It could be a load of nothing or it could be a small bit of something, who knows, and don't expect it to give you the full rundown on the next Test Drive either. :eek:

Right-click > Save as...

Download Intern Report (2007)

See this as a small Christmas present from us to the TDU community, whether it's good or not is upto you! :cheeky:

Merry Christmas Diablo!

What I've retrieved from this article is...: (Mostly for those lazy to read it)

- TDU2 is STILL set in Hawaii

- There WILL be an off-road portion to it.

no research had been necessary because he recovered exactly the island of Hawaii as it is. Instead the second part * offroad (can invest the entire scene beyond the existing roads of the island) and a new island had been thought.

Story:

The second part picks up the story after the ruin of our hero. Indeed he suffers several setbacks that lead to bankruptcy. To be able to resume his lifestyle and status, he fled on a small island and hope to return to Hawaii. The player goes in search of new challenges but also motor two wheels to recuperate.

- Both games are being developed for the PC and XBOX 360, being that they have the best online communities

The game is developed on a home console, the Xbox 360 and PC * * a matter of power but also because both machines have a gaming service * Online highly developed.

- Intern talks about constraints, being that this is an online game, allowing for the end-suer to be able to run this game properly online with many vehicles simultaneously

The fact that the game is played mainly on the Internet requires developers to adopt drastic constraints. Without going into details, the weight of the game, the polygon count * size * textures, etc ... All this must be playable simultaneously by dozens of players worldwide. I emphasize this because it is one of making the production so special and so well settled.

- Hawaii will be pretty much unchanged except for the ability to drive offroad in different weather conditions. And they are moving away from fully duplicating Hawaii (The intern better explains it)

the first opus already very rich, everything that regained existed on the Hawaiian island of Oahu *. On TDU 2, the major innovation was to bring the player in play areas do not exist in reality by allowing him to leave the road and being driven or he sees fit and all with variable weather.

- A new island will be added which is totally fictitious (fake).

The aim therefore was of course to remain as faithful as possible to the island but also to empower them and think outside the box. Finally the game starts on another adjacent island, Treasure Island, but it is entirely imaginary.

- Treasure Island is mostly off-road

The island in its entirety was generated through satellite photos and extensive documentation following a stay on the islands but also that of Tenerife. I acted on new imaginary parts of the island. These areas were in fact serving only or covered with vegetation.

- Eight Zones were described by the developers and the intern and his friend had to create some concept images, those eight zones required..

PATH OF STONE (7)

- Sectors?

- Passing through the exotic forest. It was built by man long ago. It is stone and ruin with nice statues. It is a path that leads to an altar. It is accessible only by motorcycle and quad *.

• Stairs

• Ruins

* Images were in the quote, but were taken down according to Diablo. :)

- Examples of areas, 4 of the 8.

I was in charge of several areas: the beach, the rainforest, rocky outcrops and a circuit. This represented the first part but then the concepts of tunnels and Treasure Island (New Island)

More to the Story: (The little island being the offroad island, Treasure Island)

The player ends the first episode of Test Drive millionaire on the island of Hawaii. After a few disappointments in the second game, the hero is ruined and to "remake", he moved on a little island, much less to Hawaii,.

- The island was inspired by an old Mexico (desert-like/poor)

A brainstorming session with my tutor, and Benjamin helped us move towards an island atmosphere with an old Mexico.

- Starting house?

The hero was poor and lived in a trailer made of brick and broque with the sole energy source generator.

- Explanation of the carbon Lambo, turning into a buggy. :)

The last part of my internship and not least has been dedicated to design the bumper (generic of introduction) of the game

To summarize this film was to highlight the contributions of this new opus. To know the main weather variable, the addition of all-terrain vehicles and offroad *.

The film lasted 30 seconds.

With Benjamin we were instructed to develop a storyboard, designing the graphic of the video and serve as a referent to a small team composed by Benoit Boucher. The latter consisted of 4 students (2 and two 3D modelers in graphic special effects), and our two other colleagues graphic decoration. After brainstorming with the team and our art director we chose the direction in which we should strive.

The storyboard developed featured a Lamborghini in a city scene that changed buggy and generated a tropical decor. The processing carried out, the rain began to fall and be completed on the logo of TDU.

- In-depth explanation of the video's meaning

My idea was to put forward vehicles of their activities but also by color. The Lamborghini had a warm color (red) on a background of cool color. The buggy about it was cold on a hot setting (to symbolize the tropical atmosphere).

I've kept out some things to those who have read it, most of it explained his eperience and what he did, etc.

But about the pictures, I'm pretty sure we have most of them upped here.

This thread specifically http://forum.turboduck.net/showthread.php?t=8787

I don't know if it's all the pictures explained though.

Well, I have to get ready for the Christmas Party now, Merry Christmas everyone!

Thank you very much Jesus for the breakdown of the main parts and of course for the clear translations.

Regarding the Xbox 360 and PC only development, I believe this was to be the case when TDU 2 was originally intended and wanted to be released in 2007, however a disagreement between the parent company and Atari Inc meant this was put on hold. There is a report that shows that Atari Inc's plans included TDU 2 for the same platforms as TDU (PC, X360, PSP & PS2) and then in 2009 TDU 3 would be for PC, PS3 and X360.

Remember this is a report from 2007 so a lot could have changed, we don't and won't know until Eden or Atari decide to announce it officially for themselves.

Even so it's still well worth a read!

Thank you very much Jesus

That Made me Laugh lol. In my opinion this game so far is going to be kind of a disapointment to me..

Like the Bankroupt thing.. Lots of people had hundurds (sorry really cant spell tonight) of millions of dollars..

How could you blow all of that.. Like really.. I know you can't keep the money from one game to another but at least give us something like a nice-ish home.. and enough cash to get a decent car..

Instead of living in a Brick Trailer and probally no car.

[/RANT]

That Made me Laugh lol. In my opinion this game so far is going to be kind of a disapointment to me..

Like the Bankroupt thing.. Lots of people had hundurds (sorry really cant spell tonight) of millions of dollars..

How could you blow all of that.. Like really.. I know you can't keep the money from one game to another but at least give us something like a nice-ish home.. and enough cash to get a decent car..

Instead of living in a Brick Trailer and probally no car.

[/RANT]

But what's the point of starting the game with a decent car and home. Most people wouldn't even use the slower cars if that was the case.

And it'd also be a boring story, you start with a good car and home and you work to an, erm... good car and home:confused:

But what's the point of starting the game with a decent car and home. Most people wouldn't even use the slower cars if that was the case.

And it'd also be a boring story, you start with a good car and home and you work to an, erm... good car and home:confused:

Sorry If i was't clear, twas late last night, Like kinda do what they did the last time, Enought to buy a condo/Smalll house and a nice-ish car...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just checked Eden's website, they got a lot of internship proposals for 2010 with stuff like "Develop an algorithm for road expansions" and stuff about working on an "MMO".

I believe TDU 2 is still on somewhere, just hope we get some official bones to chew on soon :)