We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Tow Trucks?

Hey,

I'm new here, but I've have done a quick search & haven't come across this and am quite stunned it hasn't been suggested.

Tow trucks.... no not like AAA ones, lol (though it would be handy if u ran out of fuel or had an accident) but like trucks you can drive.

So say there's a race @ the race track (is there on in TDU 2) or any case (maybe you just bought a car and didn't want to drive it back home?) and instead of driving your car there.... you can hitch up the trailer to one of your trucks, say a Dodge Cummins, Ford powerstroke... get my drift.

car-towing-options-2.jpg

Also be a trick as well trying to back the trailer into the driveway as well....

This for me would top the game off cus you can like put any car... within reason onto the trailer and tow it to any destination!

I know, it's too late and the game is almost finished developement =(

But what do you guys think, if it could be added would u use it? And also this might be an idea of an expansion pack?

Your views?

Cheers

Ram

that would be a lot of work having to do complete animations involving loading the trailer,unloading the trailer, for each car, at every house and every possible dealership,tuner shop,paint shop, vinyl shop and every other place possible, with every possible combination of paint,wheels,vinyl....etc etc for both the tow vehicle and the car being towed.

but really the question is why do it in the first place? this is a game about driving the actual cars, not towing them around the islands. if you dont want to drive the new car home,wait to buy until you are ready, or teleport it to your house.

sorry man, would never use it, and honestly i hope the developers spend their time getting the physics perfect, or work on the environment

that would be a lot of work having to do complete animations involving loading the trailer,unloading the trailer, for each car, at every house and every possible dealership,tuner shop,paint shop, vinyl shop and every other place possible, with every possible combination of paint,wheels,vinyl....etc etc for both the tow vehicle and the car being towed.

but really the question is why do it in the first place? this is a game about driving the actual cars, not towing them around the islands. if you dont want to drive the new car home,wait to buy until you are ready, or teleport it to your house.

sorry man, would never use it, and honestly i hope the developers spend their time getting the physics perfect, or work on the environment

No no no.... lol I think you miss understood me. I mean it wouldn't be that hard (or so I think) I mean all u need to do is animate 4 wheels (on the trailer) and make the trailer like "a hard deck".

Then the cars would be "locked" down.

Sorry what is this dripple? "that would be a lot of work having to do complete animations involving loading the trailer,unloading the trailer, for each car, at every house and every possible dealership,tuner shop,paint shop, vinyl shop and every other place possible, with every possible combination of paint,wheels,vinyl....etc etc for both the tow vehicle and the car being towed"

What animations r u going on about? All they need to do is create another vehicle (aka a trailer) could be a simply one like the picture in my original post.

Why do I need it? Well I'll ask you something, is this like a "simulation game"? Or would u class is as a arcade? Personally I find this to be a "Driving" simulator and I don't know about you but when I go to local race days I don't see many people turn up IN the cars their gonna race, many bring several cars but to the point the race car or in this case (A classic car we bought from a deal or what ever) you would use a tow vehicle to take it to it's location, after all this is a driving sim and shouldn't just be based on going fast... and so forth....

But that's my 2 cents and my opinion... :D

Cheers

Ram

If you don't know that trailers have their own behaviour, go drive a car in real life with a trailer. Go take a look at truckinggames like 18WoS. There's a reason most games don't have trucks with trailers. With a trailer, the whole behaviour of the tractorunit changes. You get all sorts of extra stresses on the vehicle, mainly dynamic ones because the trailer can move in many directions and will also bump up and down when driving.

Driving with something attached to your vehicle is hard in reallife, which makes it even harder to implement PROPERLY in a game. You'll have to transmit the feeling to the car that it needs to carry a big load with it, without making the whole thing bounce like a monkey on cafeine. Losing control with a vehicle with trailer goes even further and it adds so much unpredictable scenarios that have to be taken in account, that it's just better to leave it alone.

And I don't really see the use of it. The fact that many people don't show up in their racecars at the track I bet has to do with law and insurancing. The cars aren't aren't allowed to be driven on road in many cases and if you do so and crash it you can pay the entire shipload of money yourself because the insurance might not cover that.

All in all it's just absolutely not worth to let Eden work overtime and delay the game for a good period just because of implementing trailerphysics. Even trucksims don't get the physics right, just to indicate how hard it is.

Yes I did realise that after my second post. Ok so there is a few things, such as when you reverse a trailer it goes the other way... yes left = right for a trailer & right = left... yes :confused:

But I'm just putting the idea foward surely they can make the trailer handle like a car you can drive, sure it's not THAT realistic but I would like it, if basic games such as 18 WoS can do it... surely something as advanced as TDU can make a simple developement of a trailer.... even if it doesn't have the true to life side to side swing. Also I guess they would need to generate weight as well. each car I guess ways diffrent in game yes or are they all "light".

Cus I guess if you were towing up the hill you'd have to shift through the gears as the weight would slow/drag you down...

But hey... that's what I'd like and it's never gonna happen :oook:

Ram

As I said, there's too much variables involved with articulating vehicles such as articulated buses and vehicles with trailers, that it's very hard to put in a game properly.

The only way you could do this, is to eliminate the trailer and get something like these:

Porsche_Renntransporter.jpg

Mercedes_Renntransporter_Martini-Porsche_blan_3.JPG

395475526_bd9f9400f3.jpg

How? All they need to do is have the trailer do what a trailer does when you reverse (18 WoS can do it so surely TDU can do it) that's all they need they don't have to make it bouce over the road, just that it centre turn on the tow ball :p

But that said, I do like you idea!

Pictures 2 & 3 I like!

Maybe we could "hot up" a tow truck with wheels custom paint and so forth.... it can come apart of the TDU, just like the cars!

How will it work.... No need for extreme animations. Just a simple button to say lower the ramp, drive the car on yourself or in garage or dealer option select the car you want to transport and the tow vehicle you want to use! =)

Then go driving!!!! :D

Well this has really put me in the dumbs... I would have loved this in TDU 2 :crying:

Perhaps we could lengthen an SSR, and park the car in its trunk. Make the roof fixed so it can't retract and voila. x)

Now that would be fun! Well I would like that :thumbsup:

Yes one voice over say millions I don't have a chance :sulk:

Ram

I think it's a good idea actually ;) You could tow your cars and tiny boats (if you can even buy one). BUT, I like CLR's idea of customizing your SSR's length and parking the car in there.

I'd rather wait for a more developed game, even if it takes a little longer.

I think it's a good idea actually ;) You could tow your cars and tiny boats (if you can even buy one). BUT, I like CLR's idea of customizing your SSR's length and parking the car in there.

I'd rather wait for a more developed game, even if it takes a little longer.

Hey thanls for the support SirKronksAlot :)

I think I would draw the line @ boats, I think that's taking it a bit... too far :nuts:

But yeah I'm glad u like the idea whether it be trailer or custom "trucks" it be more of a realisitc fell and well... we've waited 4 years for TDU 2 so would really waiting say a few more months for them to incorporate this really be the end of the world? No...

Ram

No no no.... lol I think you miss understood me. I mean it wouldn't be that hard (or so I think) I mean all u need to do is animate 4 wheels (on the trailer) and make the trailer like "a hard deck".

Then the cars would be "locked" down.

Sorry what is this dripple? "that would be a lot of work having to do complete animations involving loading the trailer,unloading the trailer, for each car, at every house and every possible dealership,tuner shop,paint shop, vinyl shop and every other place possible, with every possible combination of paint,wheels,vinyl....etc etc for both the tow vehicle and the car being towed"

What animations r u going on about? All they need to do is create another vehicle (aka a trailer) could be a simply one like the picture in my original post.

Why do I need it? Well I'll ask you something, is this like a "simulation game"? Or would u class is as a arcade? Personally I find this to be a "Driving" simulator and I don't know about you but when I go to local race days I don't see many people turn up IN the cars their gonna race, many bring several cars but to the point the race car or in this case (A classic car we bought from a deal or what ever) you would use a tow vehicle to take it to it's location, after all this is a driving sim and shouldn't just be based on going fast... and so forth....

But that's my 2 cents and my opinion... :D

Cheers

Ram

you do understand that they WOULD have to create an animation for each car, both going on and off the trailer right? and an animation for each car being towed by the tow vehicle,right? remember, there are 2 different islands in TDU2 and 2000 miles of roads.and a reported 208 cars in the original game. now since the scenery at each of the ONE HUNDRED HOUSES will be different in some way, they have to compensate for that, along with a scene of each car at a dealership being loaded onto a trailer. now some people may want to take the car they just loaded at the dealer and drop it to be tuned,painted etc etc. that is a whole new animation right there for each location and each individual car at that location.

you get the idea yet? it is not a simple thing to "just throw in". getting the animations right would take a lot of time. and as CLR-GTR pointed out, the physics of towing this trailer are a whole new issue to deal with.

and as i told you before, this is a game about DRIVING the cars, not towing them around.

and no, this is not "dripple".

you do understand that they WOULD have to create an animation for each car,

They'd have to create one animation, which could be used across all cars. Like the driving out of the houses or the paintshop...

and an animation for each car being towed by the tow vehicle,right?

No. If you are driving the truck there won't be any animation needed at all.

remember, there are 2 different islands in TDU2 and 2000 miles of roads.

Won't make any difference to this idea. The animations for loading/unloading cars would be automatically generated, as I said before - much like leaving houses and paintshops. Most likely the programmer would just set the points where the car is to travel in the animation 9(ie A to B to C) and those points would already be created at every house. Formula and programs will calculate where the car needs to go at every house and across every make of car.

it is not a simple thing to "just throw in".

Nor is it as difficult as you are making it out to be. I have no idea how Eden have programmed TDu2, but the general rule for writing code is: reusability. You write something once and then you're able to reuse it again and again in different situations.

automatically generated = they had to create the code to have it happen in the first place.

reusability? definitely a good thing, once it has been created. you mention the cut scenes of the garages, the paint shop......all animations that had to be created in the first place with a variable thrown in to accomodate for each and every car in the game,

especially the Deluxe paint shop and its ummmm...unusual colors it produced.

my point is, they had to create all of these things so they could be reused time after time. and the more variables that get thrown into the mix, the longer it takes to get them right. that is time the developers could spend more wisely by focusing on far more important aspects of the game

Yep. They created one animation, which would take at most a couple of days and a bit of code which would take less than that. Variables would not have to be added since it would be a set point and positioning/track path of the car would be determined by the size of the car and size of the road, every necessary point in the game will already be created, you just need to add a model of a tow truck on one of those points and an event to make the car drive to it.

That said, I'm not saying this is a good idea, nor that I want to see it in game, but it's not something particularly difficult to add in.

No, They don't have to create an animation/ movie!

As I said all they need to do is allow the player to drive their car onto the trailer themselves (so this has already been animated, aka driving a car whether it be down a highway or onto a flat bed trailer.)

Then when you arrive @ destination maybe you could hit "tab" and it will switch you to your car on the trailer and you can reverse down and so forth...

Great way to transport your car (well I would use it.... =) I mean if you had a crash which would u prefer to stuff up, your tow car or you new car???? That's what I thought....

Ram

;309604']i think it will be GREAT if tdu2 had carshows. but i think that feauture should only be to take the cars ta car shows bc it does seem pointlesss to be doin it juss ta b doin itt

I don't think most people (Key Word: MOST) would just drive around with a tuck, a trailer, and another car. I always liked the idea of having a carshow in TDU, but with an auction at the end, but that's just me :)

Hey yeah! I like the idea of say Car parade's! Could be a mission as well in game I guess.

But I really like the idea of an auction. Maybe a classic car auction, every second day or everytime you visit this specific place like an auction area there is a different selection of used cars!!!

Used cars = cheap start to high life! Also does anyone know if the online auctions from TDU one is back???? I used that a few times and got some cheap bargins!

Let me know were you all stand.

1) Would like seperate trailers your could hit up to say you 4x4 or a heavy duty tow vehicle (like a cummins or powerstroke)

2) Would like tow trucks like custim vehiles say an SSR stretch.

3) Hate the idea, and I should stop posting? =)

Ram

you do understand that they WOULD have to create an animation for each car, both going on and off the trailer right? and an animation for each car being towed by the tow vehicle,right? remember, there are 2 different islands in TDU2 and 2000 miles of roads.and a reported 208 cars in the original game. now since the scenery at each of the ONE HUNDRED HOUSES will be different in some way, they have to compensate for that, along with a scene of each car at a dealership being loaded onto a trailer. now some people may want to take the car they just loaded at the dealer and drop it to be tuned,painted etc etc. that is a whole new animation right there for each location and each individual car at that location.

Wouldn't that just need a script? Like in MW2, on the level The Gulag, towards the end you can't get hit by a rock under a ceiling. You can only get hit by a rock through a script and it hits you anywhere. Same should go for this. Load a script for the player's car with a trailer thing.

Anyway, I don't really think it's a good idea. It's mostly a racing/social game. This would just add to the "regular life" and realism probably.