We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

ps3 - pros and cons

FizzPagan2000

allo :)

i'm currently typing out on a ps3 and i've just been to the chatbox and don't seem able to post in it.

how many other limitations of the machine have you all noticed and how do you feel the big black chunky box makes up for it? :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always connect a USB or Bluetooth (via USB adapter) keyboard to the PS3

i was using one lol

i type the message click send and my messages do not get sent.

"bonjour mike" is what i was attempting to send...

even refreshing the page does not work for ps3...

the blu ray player is lovely though.

here's hoping more great movies get the real blu ray treatment rather than just cheap transfers.

the differences between 'chicago' and 'coraline' picture wise seem to be enormous...

I've never really used my PS3 for much else besides gaming and internet browsing. I use it to surf the internet when I'm too lazy to get out of bed. Other than that I think I've tried one DVD in it and a couple of days ago I linked it to my PC over my home network so I can listen to all of the music in my room, although I could do most of those things on my Xbox before it broke.

I prefer the layout of the PS3 menus compared to the Xbox Dashboard anyway. The Xbox Dashboard just ended up confusing the hell out of me.

The PS3 is the best DVD player I've ever used (the way it upscales), I've watched 2 BluRay discs on it too, was very nice.

G25 support on the PS3 is brilliant - have used my wheel with GT5P, Ferrari Challenge, Supercar Challenge, and MCLA. All of them had good FFB and H shifter support.

The XMB is easier to use, although I prefer the 360 for media streaming as it (so far) seems more reliable.

Yeah, the PS3's Blu-Ray player is supposed to be the best in the business.

Personally, I prefer the PS3's controller (it's more precise, in my opinion) to the 360's, but that's just a personal preference. Also, if you're willing to dish out cash to small companies, you can get variations.

360 Pro: Let's you install games to the HDD.

PS3 Con: Doesn't.

360 Pro: Netflix streaming is built-in.

PS3 Con: Requires disc.

PS3 Pro: Online is FREE! Yes, you heard me, it costs NO MONEY (at least, it's been that way since the PS3's been out).

360 Con: Online costs MONEY.

PS3 Pro: Sixaxis controller (good for fooling unfamiliar people in LittleBigPlanet :cheeky: ).

360 Con: No gyroscopic sensor.

PS3 Pro: Blu-ray is promoted, which is has won (in most locations, at least) the HD disc war.

360 Con: Uses HD-DVD.

Anyone want to add onto/correct this?

-Leadfoot

I thought the HD DVD drive was an optional extra? The BluRay drive in the PS3 is nowhere near as noisy as the one in the 360, and despite being able to install the content to the HDD, you still need the disc for verification to play games on the 360.

See, I read all these pros and cons etc but at the end of the day its all about individual oppinions and what you want it for.

I own every console since the Amiga Keyboard Cassette tape unit and gaming has been a heavy part in my life for decades. In regards to my PS3 and 360. Well, I will say this, I was a sony fanboy for PS1 and PS2 although if the Dreamcast had not been overshadowed by the PS1, the PS1 would have died instead of the Dreamcast.

Anyhow. You all talk about blu-ray this and blu-ray that. This is a gaming console. Why would anyone buy a 500+ dollar console for blu-ray movies? The PS3 for me is a major let down and as much as I hate microsoft, the 360 is more enjoyable.

What are the pros of owning a PS3? really I don't know. Other then having a few exclusive titles like Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Ratchet and Clank series. There really isn't much else to make the console worthwhile. The online downloadable game content for PS3 games is shockingly bad compared to 360, and other then what, a blu-ray DVD player, what does it really offer? nothing.

If I want to watch blu-ray movies (which in all honesty I don't) then I'll buy a blu-ray DVD player and not diminish my console's life time by watching movies on it. Not to mention it would be quieter on a normal blu-ray dvd player.

As a developer of games and hardware, I just don't get the mentality of some people. Sony has strayed away from what is gaming and has provided in all seriousness a very expensive blu-ray DVD player with...oh lets throw gaming into it. The game choice on the PS3 is horrendous and proves my point in other sites that exclusive games should not be allowed. I know its what helps sells certain consoles, but it really stinks. I think games should be made available to all consoles and if Polyphony want to make more money back then what they spent to make Gran Turismo 5, then they need to also make it available on 360.

It really ticks me off that as a sony fanboy, I have to say that the PS3 is the biggest let down in gaming history. Now I know that many of you other sony fanboys will nag at me about my views, but I don't only think as a gamer who has played thousands of games across every console, but also as a developer. The PS3 is for me the biggest let down in gaming history, I expected much more and how many years later we're still being told, just wait, it will pick up.

You can think of the PS3 like Windows Vista and Windows 7. Windows Vista was the very bad OS they brought out and instead of fixing it, they brought out the better Windows 7 so people could spend more money on what was evidently better.

The PS3 is Vista, the very bad product that exists now, and instead of fixing it, they will release their next console in the future that will HOPEFULLY rebuild the Playstation name.

But that is my two cents on the matter. Each person will have their individual choice. For me, I want a console for one thing, gaming. The Xbox 360 provides that in a much larger scale then the PS3 does in my view.

i like the ps3 controller and 360 controller for different reasons - i feel much more comfortable playing tekken with the ps3 controller but sf4 with the 360 controller for some reason.

the analogue triggers on 360 feel better also imo...

i find the layout on ps3 to be a bit stale... that's just me though i guess...

for dvd's i don't see anything in it between my upscaling hdmi using dvd player - as far as picture goes at least. i've not dvd'd my ps3 enough to notice the layer transitions...

my ps3 has needed repairing which surprised me considering how little i use it...

£99 a pop from sony on that one :/

Was having a word with the SONY rep thaat comes into work today and PS3 now supports 3D Blu-ray all you need is the 3D telly and a 1.4HDMI cable around 100$

So a games console £100 + Blu-ray £150 + 3D Blu-ray £400 = The reason were starting to sell them like hot cakes.

Trust me people PS3 will beat the "Xbox 360" However Microsoft are about to ruin it next year.....

Was having a word with the SONY rep thaat comes into work today and PS3 now supports 3D Blu-ray all you need is the 3D telly and a 1.4HDMI cable around 100$

So a games console £100 + Blu-ray £150 + 3D Blu-ray £400 = The reason were starting to sell them like hot cakes.

Trust me people PS3 will beat the "Xbox 360" However Microsoft are about to ruin it next year.....

Was heißt das "ruin"? :)

;310456']

PS3 Pro: Online is FREE! Yes, you heard me, it costs NO MONEY (at least, it's been that way since the PS3's been out).

PS3 Pro: Sixaxis controller (good for fooling unfamiliar people in LittleBigPlanet :cheeky: ).

360 Con: No gyroscopic sensor.

*puts on flameproof suit*

Well, I have heard that when playing PS3 online it is harder to find good players, I have heard PSN is full of trolls. I don't personally know as I don't own a PS3. So in that case it's like that you must pay to find better (wouldn't still call them good) gamers (XBL).

And the controller. You are right. 360 doesn't have gyroscopic sensor (anyways it's rubbish in PS3 :cheeky:). But the 360 controller is way better. It's designed to be held in human hands unlike the PS3 controller.

And then there's the price. You can get a 360 for half the price of a PS3.

I'm not telling that PS3 is rubbish. I'm actually now making it look a really good console because I can only think of 3 cons and 1 of them is a big ? for me because I have only heard of it. :)

But that's just me.

;310456']

360 Pro: Let's you install games to the HDD.

PS3 Con: Doesn't.

PS3 Pro: Blu-ray is promoted, which is has won (in most locations, at least) the HD disc war.

360 Con: Uses HD-DVD.

Anyone want to add onto/correct this?

-Leadfoot

PS3 doesn't let you install games? It did it before the X360.

Ever heard, "get what you pay for"? I have played both, trust me PSN still has some catching up to do.

The 360 uses DVD9, not HD DVD.

-

X360 Pro: People like this buy PS3's.

PS3 Con: People like this buy PS3's.

PS3 is fantastic in everyway apart from the games. Once TDU2/GT5 comes however, it'll be sorted then. I mean, most of the games now are fine, but I have all the ones that interest me at the moment. The controller is fine to me, after 10 years of playing PS1/PS2 i've gotten used to it, and the Sixaxis is a nice feature. Also, I love the internet browser (I use it for YT mostly) and iPlayer, and the ability to play Blue Ray DVDs is great.

Online is good to me, the only slight problem I have is that it seems to take a long time to download anything, however I don't find it that much slower than on 360. Other than that though, no problems.

I agree, it isn't cheap, but it isnt bad for a large hard drive, Blue Ray, 8 processers or however many it has and free online. Plus the graphics on some games are stunning, too (GT5 springs to mind). And don't forget, the PS3 is over a year younger than the 360, so the prices are yet to come down.

The 360 is a fantastic console, don't get me wrong, but so is the PS3. If not more fantastic. :)

I think we've confirmed that the PS3 is a better pirce of hardware compared to the 360, and that Microsoft's software is better than what is essentially Linux/Unix).

I bought a XBOX 360 Elite bundle, and by the time I purchased the extra HD AV pack and WiFi (which are part of the PS3), I had spent more money on the 360 than the price of the PS3. Oh, and then I had to buy the 12 month Gold subscription.

Only the 360 Arcade version is price effective, but I don't really view it as a 7th Gen console since it lacks HDMI. I already own both consoles and a high end PC, so I don't need anyone replying to me and telling me that I'm wrong :)

Only the 360 Arcade version is price effective, but I don't really view it as a 7th Gen console since it lacks HDMI.

My Arcade (bought Feb 2009 to replace a dead pro) has HDMI, guess you guys down under still have Arcade units circa 07.

I already own both consoles and a high end PC, so I don't need anyone replying to me and telling me that I'm wrong :)

One of the stupidist comments I've seen so far in this thread, theres many people in the same boat (myself for instance) but I think Xbox is better. Its down to opinion so comments like that are just asking for an argument.

Good isn't it, trying to ward of an argument with a provocative statement. Does pointing out that the Arcade does feature an HDMI count as telling you you're wrong?

Good isn't it, trying to ward of an argument with a provocative statement. Does pointing out that the Arcade does feature an HDMI count as telling you you're wrong?

Yawn its the trend these days "I have a blue name, so I'm right!".

Its down to prefference and what you've stuck with. Once the Xbox (1) was release I jumped ship from a PS fanboy. Ill still always buy the newest PS but I *personal* enjoy xbox more.

Theres no right and wrong. I'm really growing tired of how many times this sort of argument is brought up.

Didn't mean to stir anyone up. I meant that you didn't have to try to convert me to buy a different console...

Australia only has 2 models of the 360. The arcade has a 20gb HDD (or none at all, can't remember) and doesn't have HDMI.

I prefer the 360 as a gaming machine. I still think it's overpriced though.

Australia only has 2 models of the 360. The arcade has a 20gb HDD (or none at all, can't remember) and doesn't have HDMI.

Yup, the same 2 models the rest of the world has, Arcade and Elite. Any mention of Pro's or Core's are references to older machines people bought prior to Microsoft changing the structure to just Arcade and Elite.

The Arcade doesn't come with any HDD, this Australian site lists the Arcade as having HDMI. It would make no sense for it not to feature it, given that it does in every other territory. Sure it doesn't come with the cable included, but you can get much better cheaper HDMI cables than the Microsoft one.

Still, the Elite is the one you want as a first timer, then the Arcade to replace it in 18 months. ;)

They must've added HDMI to the Arcade when they phased out the Pro model. Makes sense I guess, but then why is the Elite so much more expensive that the arcade if the main (or only) difference between the two (besides colour) is a $60 HDD (of course, MS would have you believe that it costs a lot more than that, pfft).