We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

ps3 - pros and cons

FizzPagan2000

See, I live in Australia too and own the PS3, X360 and the Wii along with my various PC's. You say that the PS3 is just the better console to have. Where are you getting that from?

The games? Tell me, when you walk in a store how many shelves of PS3 games you see? You'll be lucky if you get two full shelves, what about 360? something like 5 shelves in every EB Games. How many pre-owned PS3 games do you see? More then there's actual non-pre owned games. 360? The new games outweight the pre-owned.

So it can't be game choice. Game quality? sure the PS3 has better capabilities, but then, what are you seeing it on? 1 or 2 games? You don't see it in every single game.

The Blu-Ray? If I wanted a 500 dollar blu-ray player, I'd go out and buy a dedicated blu-ray player that would do an even better job then the PS3's blu-ray player and I'd only have to pay something like 200-300 bucks.

The online content? The PS3 is shockingly bad in its online store and even its online gameplay. It doesn't even compare to the 360 in the online features. And someone said the PS3 is free online but the X360 isn't. Um, dunno what they were smoking because I go online and download content and talk to friends with a normal silver membership.

The PS3 is the most worthless console in gaming history and unless you wanted it solely for blu-ray DVD watching oh and maybe 2-3 games. Its not worth buying one.

I am sick and tired of hearing people idolize the console simply because they are waiting for one game or because its the best blu-ray player in their view. ITS A CONSOLE!!!! for gods sake, its supposed to put gaming ahead of anything else, the PS3 doesn't do that. It just has gaming as a side feature.

As much as I hate microsoft and hoped the PS3 would be the best console in this generation, sadly, it isn't, and only sony fanboys who just don't care about the bad stuff they get time after time from companies will argue that its good.

I'm sorry, but any argument to say that the PS3 is the best console is just wrong and stupid. In capabilities it may be the best, but in what it delivers content wise and game wise is just appauling and a laughing stock in gaming history.

I've not only got a white console elite with the 120gb HDD I have the new black console with the 250GB HDD too. I wish I never supported microsoft, but in this case with the 360, I prefer to support microsoft a million times over then sony. I love the console and the games and the online content and features.

I hope that Sony will get their gear together and produce something much better in the next gen consoles, but I doubt it. Sony are too far up themselves and its more likely they will produce another piece of...bad equipment for people to waste their money on and think they got the better end of the deal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy games off the shelf. You can save ~50% by buying them new from Ebay stores in Honk Kong, etc. Some stores ship very quickly as well.

I said a few posts ago that I prefer the 360 for gaming. A few posts before that I said that the PS3's advantage is only in the form of its hardware. There's also a small difference between buying the cheapest generic BluRay player you can find, and getting one from a company like Sony.

$7 per month for Xbox Live Gold might not sound like a lot, but if you got the console from day one, and don't upgrade to their 8th gen console for 10 years, then that becomes $840, which is... a lot. But as all of you can confirm, the online features of Live are miles ahead of the PS service. It would be nice if basic multiplayer functionality was free, though.

Yeah I get a lot of my games off ebay too simply because I don't justify paying 100 bucks for a game I can get off ebay for 40-50 bucks.

I see, I didn't see the other posts so my apologies, I didn't mean to come off like a hard donkey :P but being a member at Gamespot and IGN I have grown sick and tired of all the fanboys bashing and flaming the consoles they don't like for stupid reasons.

In the hardware department I agree that the PS3 is by far the best that is out there and that has been out there in console history, unfortunately, they've made the game coding and developers licence so expencive that its driven most developers away from sony and to Microsoft.

Hardware wise, it is the best, but they have not done much with it. Sure God of War 3 is spectacular and my favourite game on the PS3 at the moment. GT5 will also be great, some other games have great graphics too. But then what? I just wish so much that the PS3 did a better job at producing a better range of games like its predecessor the PS2 did. Heck the PS2 was selling more games for a while then the PS3 was from games that were made on both consoles.

In regards to the XBox live membership, yeah it doesn't sound like much until you accumulate it over the years, but that goes with anything nowadays. As for the basic multiplayer functionality in the 360, yeah that I agree with that, they should have some form of basic multiplayer for the silver memberships even if its limited to a certain number of hours per day or certain amount of times per month.

In any case, I own all three of the new consoles and I like them all for different reasons, but I cannot claim any of them as the overall best. They all have pros and cons.

I love the Wii's ability to make any game fun, I love the game choice the 360 gives, and I love the realism in some of the games on the PS3 as well as some titles which are exclusive. Each of them have their pro's and it really all depends on what you want.

They must've added HDMI to the Arcade when they phased out the Pro model. Makes sense I guess, but then why is the Elite so much more expensive that the arcade if the main (or only) difference between the two (besides colour) is a $60 HDD (of course, MS would have you believe that it costs a lot more than that, pfft).

Yep, that's exactly when they added HDMI.

Why is the Elite so much more? Well you get an HDD and a proprietary HDMI cable! That represents great value!... and lets not forget that you'll own a console the wrong colour for half the peripherals, go Microsoft!

I have a homemade elite, Arcade + 120GB + HDMI Cable + Optical out (TV > Amp)

Job done.

on the subject of players on both machines - there are some good people on both i'd imagine and maybe even a few on my freinds lists but both machines are still full of players that quit at the hint of losing a match.

of all the games i've had or seen on both machines they have thusfar always looked better on 360.

those being 'grid' 'gta4' 'sf4' 'soulcalibur4' 'tekken6' and 'nfs:u'

a friend of mine actually has the 360's hd dvd player though - he nabbed it cheap when the plug was pulled on hd dvd :)

Well, yesterday I wrote out a stupidly long essay trying not to anger anybody who owned either console. Because I personally prefer the PC over both consoles so I thought I had a pretty unbias view. But I didn't have time to post it so saved it in a text file which Nod32 decided was a trojan and deleted.

I honestly thought this thread was started to help someone decide which console to get but from my point of view it's starting to turn into a fanboy war as these types of threads always do.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference and what you want to get out of a console. Each have their strengths and weaknesses which you will need to weigh up depending on what you want out of a console. Neither is better than the other in my point of view. It's pretty easy to do a Google Search to find out what features each console has from an unbias source which will help you make the right decision.

i have both :)

no anger here lol

i do think sony could do a better job marketing the machine and the games are part of the shortcomings.

the pros and cons wasn't sposed to pit the ps3 directly against the competition though and was rather sposed to be a discussion purely about ps3.

it is the ps3 (and psp) section after all.

the compatibility between psp and ps3 btw reminds me of the dreamcasts memory units XD

The link between PS3 and PSP is amazing and microsoft will never achive the same, ive played games using the PSP as a controller etc its a great intergration.

Microsoft wont even manage it with the new phone there about to release.

PS3 is great, just not for me.

Con:

It's not a PC. 'nuff said.

I wouldn't class that as a con as it boots quicker is made purely for gaming and wont get virus's plus you dont have to use crappy windows.

That comments not very helpful to anyone.

I wouldn't class that as a con as it boots quicker is made purely for gaming and wont get virus's plus you dont have to use crappy windows.

That comments not very helpful to anyone.

comments needing to be helpfull are a tad overrated - comments being pure self expression and opinion are underrated imo.

music player - i'd rather have videos than (is it?) a radio station the 360 has.

i guess the best thing about a console is that they are designed purely for playing games whereas pc's tend to have alot of other tasks to perform even while you are playing a game.

i'm glad a firewall update doesn't kick in while i'm trying to race on tdu...

You don't see baloon notifications when in full screen applications or games (unless your video card drivers are dodgey)

dodgy drivers - something else console owners don't have to think about...

but anyway it's something of a mute point for me since i've never bought a pc game...

Consoles are designed for gaming and are the best at it..

PC's are designed for all purpose and modding games is more fun than playing them. PC lacks to involvment and enjoyment of a console.

Its clear Ryzza5 is a complete fanboy so what have you played the most of? How long have you spent on an xbox? And have you even played on LIVE?

Anyone that plays the xbox on LIVE for more than a week in a go will see how great the console is, same goes for the PS3 im sure but I've never played it for more than an hour a month.

Aye the senses are strong. I'm not knocking PC gaming, but the air of superiority being held over a platform the individual has only just started using is a bit cheap. Wasn't this about the pros and cons of the PS3, why did the PC even end up in here, is it that much of an obsession?

I am aware that each has its own pros and cons, which is half the reason why I own all (fanboys stick to one I'm pretty sure).

I've played a few games online on the PS3, nothing to shout about. I've got a 12 month XBOX Live gold card, but am waiting for a WiFi card to be delivered (Ebay) before I activate it. I pretty much only play driving games, so perhaps some of your comments refer to other types of games on various platforms, in which case I don't know I'm missing as far as console abilities are concerned.

The only reason I prefer the PC is because of the hardware that I have. I've played TDU with high AA graphics, with TrackIR and ButtKicker, and with the Logitech G25 wheel. If I had to play it on the best console using a gamepad or the dreading Microsoft wheel I wouldn't enjoy myself as much. If I had never heard of TrackIR, then it would be a completely different story.

I hope you see where I'm coming from with that

~Unsubscribes

I don't see why you feel the need to brag about your system at every chance you get... I too have a nucular power station probly more so than yours but you've just said it yourself you've never played LIVE for a prolonged time...

You are the definition on a PC fanboy and your comments are both negitive and unneeded. If all you want to do is start arguments stay out of topics like these.

Your supposedly "staff", start acting like it.

I used to have a PS3, But I sold it due to the fact I preferred to play my xbox, the PS3 just gathered dust.

The games on the PS3 just didn't appeal to me, and PSN was never a match for XBL in my opinion, it's got a lot to catch up on, I can't even put my finger on what, it just didn't seem as enjoyable to play on.