We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My French Tank

me™

So... what does £300 (and a bottle of t-cut) get you?

A '97 P Peugeot 306 XLDT!

1.9 turbo diesel, rawr. You can even hear the turbo when it spools up, lovely.

It has electric front windows, an electric sunroof, and the previous owner fitted it with a Kenwood head unit and 10 CD changer! :D

When I got it, it was looking a bit sorry for itself.

Since getting it I've given it a good polish and t-cut and done a full service: oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter.

It's running nice and smoothly now and it opens up rather nicely on the open road.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/frenchshed1.jpg

Mmmmmm...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/frenchshed2.jpg

Arse end of it.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/frenchshed3.jpg

I've de-badged it. :)

Also, since taking these pictures, it now has a white pirate bay logo in the bottom left of the rear window. The cassette and cross-bones logo.

Then, some pikeys stole my wheel trims while I was at work. :crying:

So I got some Citroen Xsara wheel trims from the local scrap yard for the princely sum of £3! :lol:

This is what it looks like now:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/frenchshed4.jpg

Quite fun to drive, especially when the turbo decides to kick in when you're going round a wet roundabout in second! Really nice handling, and it just wallows over speed bumps in a manner such a small car has no right to.

I like the fact that it's a bit of a sleeper too. I can keep up with brand new beemers in it quite easily. I love it when they pull out from behind me to over-take just after a roundabout, then I boot it and they can't actually pull alongside me. Did that earlier today to an X5. :lol:

I've also done over 100 miles on just under quarter of a tank, woop.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice car, it looks in great nick, especially for £300. :eek:

What's the insurance like for it?

£450 fully comp with legal assistance, windscreen cover and a courtesy car. That's with the car valued at £600 instead, lol. I'm 22 and have had my licence a month short of 5 years now. Yay for gocompaaaaaaaaare and Admiral.

Nice car you got there! Where did the pinto or punto or whatever go?

The Punto is just a car I'm insured on, and was using for a while. My sister recently got her driving licence, at 24, and fails so badly. I don't know how she passed. She's slowly killing the Punto...:(

This, however, is 100% my car, and only myself and my parents are on the insurance. :D

EDIT: OMG fail. I searched on e-bay for wheels using the numberplate search. E-bay thinks I have 13" wheels! Noooo! They're 14"!

EDIT AGAIN: Lol, I just searched by car model and it came up with the right size...

EDIT NUMBER 3: Ooooh so tempting.

This is my opinion so don't take it personally, but really don't see the point in spending money on changing Peugeot Diesel, then again im not a fan of the modying scene at all, To me if you had them wheels on your car, i would think that you are just a wanna be

Meh, it's just because they're cheap. Not planning to spend loads on it. Only thinking about it speculatively.

You could also call Bak99 a wannabe for putting alloys on a bog standard Clio too, by your reasoning. At least we're both looking at manufacturer spec alloys and not chavvy bling aftermarket ones.

But anyway, teeheehee:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/sticker.jpg

Nice.

It looks like a really tidy example for £300. The 1.9TDs are bulletproof, too.

I was going to give you some more wheels to look at if you were interested but I'm sat in college and the internet speed has been dire here for the last three days. It took me five minutes to load Google.

You could also call Bak99 a wannabe for putting alloys on a bog standard Clio too, by your reasoning. At least we're both looking at manufacturer spec alloys and not chavvy bling aftermarket ones.

I will do just haven't got round to it yet lol

but in all seriousness Tidy car if left alone, and for a bargain, when will people learn diesel is the future :P

I will do just haven't got round to it yet lol

but in all seriousness Tidy car if left alone, and for a bargain, when will people learn diesel is the future :P

They wont because they all praise Jeremy Clarkson's every biased word so much.

My car doesn't smell of diesel at all, I haven't seen a puff of smoke from the exhaust and when it's moving it sounds like any other petrol car. It's hardly the latest model either. Oh, and what's this? It costs the same as a 1.4 petrol 306 to insure but I'd happily bet quite a lot of money that it'd beat it and even the 1.6 in a race.

A diesel which wont have ZOMGZORST noises when I want to be a silly boy racer but will out-gun any typical boy-racer Fiesta or Corsa but still save me a few quid in fuel? I know what I'll choose any day :p

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Oh and how can the turbo not tempt you when it finally spools up :lol:

They wont because they all praise Jeremy Clarkson's every biased word so much.

My car doesn't smell of diesel at all, I haven't seen a puff of smoke from the exhaust and when it's moving it sounds like any other petrol car. It's hardly the latest model either. Oh, and what's this? It costs the same as a 1.4 petrol 306 to insure but I'd happily bet quite a lot of money that it'd beat it and even the 1.6 in a race.

A diesel which wont have ZOMGZORST noises when I want to be a silly boy racer but will out-gun any typical boy-racer Fiesta or Corsa but still save me a few quid in fuel? I know what I'll choose any day :p

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Oh and how can the turbo not tempt you when it finally spools up :lol:

Exactly. Mine didn't even smoke after it had been sitting stationary outside the previous owner's house for god-knows-how-long. I drove it straight home, 60 miles away, and it didn't miss a beat. The turbo is very much audible in mine too, so it sounds beeeeeeaaaautiful when it gets going. :D

It's also very refined and well composed at speed, really quiet. I can even have the sunroof wide open at 70mph and have a normal conversation in the car.

I just did about 110 miles on quarter of a tank too, and that was mostly town driving, i.e. cold starts and short journeys.

Also, I think I have a source for cheap alloys. My gf's dad is a mechanic, lol...

My turbo is knackered in mine, and whistles quite loudly, people think i have modded the car to sound like it, but im just a cheap skate and am not paying £650+ to get it repaired

But agreeing on diesel being just as good as petrol in every way

My turbo is knackered in mine, and whistles quite loudly, people think i have modded the car to sound like it, but im just a cheap skate and am not paying £650+ to get it repaired

I wouldn't class not wanting to spend £650+ on a new turbo as being a cheapskate. Maybe a £10 wheel bearing but not something that costs that much.

The turbo on my dads Fabia VRS used to be quite loud, as in it sounded like we had a siren on the car, then it started to not work most of the time and the engine management light came on the dashboard. Took it to a garage who luckily didn't rip him off by saying he needed a new turbo and they said that it needed cleaning out. They did that, the turbo works all the time now and is back to how quiet it was on it's first day on the open road.

Although I doubt your car has the same type of turbo.

Man that car was gutless without the turbo working :(

I'm pretty sure the turbo's working properly. You can definitely feel when it's working. :D

It's not overly loud either, just a little whine when it's really on boost and you have your foot to the floor.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, have any of you guys heard of Ceramizer? Two of my mates have it in their engines, and one of them has a Peugeot 405 with the 1.9TD lump in it too. It runs so sweetly. I've got some Ceramizer on order at the moment. Basically, it's this stuff you put in the engine oil and it forms a ceramic coating on the pistons and inside the cylinders, reducing friction inside the engine and improving compression. It's from Poland and costs about £20 for a treatment, it's just a 5ml syringe.

Haven't heard of Ceramizer, sounds decent but I'll leave it for now.

The MOT on mine runs out next month which I can already tell will be a barrel of laughs. Gave the car a quick check over today, just needed to top it up with washer bottle fluid. Had the front passenger seat out today to sort out the airbag wiring. Put it all back together and no more flashing air bag light so I'll see how it goes.

Well, I've done 100 miles with the Ceramizer in, to let it bed in...

Wow, what a difference. The whole thing just runs so much smoother and it seems to have a much nicer power delivery. I also replaced an exhaust clamp that was rattling and that helped reduce the noise too, lol.:lol:

You mentioned sorting the airbag wiring? I have a flashing airbag light too. Well, it flashes for the first few minutes then just stays on. I just have a driver airbag though. It just got an advisory in the MOT for that though.

• 2 weeks later...
I just registered over there, with the same user name as here. :D

Nooooes! New page of fail!

Nice one. Plenty of information there.

I made thread about my car on there the other day and made the mistake of putting our Golf GTI in one of the pictures. Typically they're more interested in the Golf than my car, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some work on my car yesterday.

I removed this:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/downpipeold.jpg

The old downpipe, with a god-knows-how-old particulate filter, clogged up with years worth of soot.

Then replaced it with this:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/downpipenew.jpg

A 1994 model downpipe, with no particulate filter. Only cost me £20 (woo, trade price at work!). The turbo now spools up much quicker, and I get turbo whistle out the exhaust even when I'm just pottering about, like a bloody tractor! :lol:

Totally legal, as it's not a catalytic converter, all it does is pick up soot. Hell, go on some 306 forums and loads of people have done this conversion, to much newer 306s than mine too.

I also changed the gearbox oil and flushed the radiator too. Well, when I say "I" I mean myself and a good friend, who also owns a 1.9td Peugeot (a mint condition M reg 405).

• 2 weeks later...