We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My French Tank

me™

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

I'm still in shock at what a bargain I got.

£65 plus £34 postage, for those alloys including tyres with LOADS of tread, hell, the ones I put on the rear still have little green lines between the tread they're so new, and all the bolts for the alloys, including locking bolts. The alloys themselves are in immaculate condition too.

Well chuffed. :D

The reason they were so cheap is that I got them off somebody at pug306.net and over there they're all snobs regarding this design of alloy (the swallow) and all seem to hate them, so I was the only person interested, lols.

Thanks guys!

I'm still in shock at what a bargain I got.

£65 plus £34 postage, for those alloys including tyres with LOADS of tread, hell, the ones I put on the rear still have little green lines between the tread they're so new, and all the bolts for the alloys, including locking bolts. The alloys themselves are in immaculate condition too.

Well chuffed. :D

The reason they were so cheap is that I got them off somebody at pug306.net and over there they're all snobs regarding this design of alloy (the swallow) and all seem to hate them, so I was the only person interested, lols.

Nice one. Yeh I know about their alloy snobbery. It's usually Nimrods or Cyclones with those lot, yet they all complain they need to stop buying Cyclones because they're becomming too common. I quite like the Swallows, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a phase 2 tail light conversion today!

Before:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/thepair2.jpg

After:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/phase2taillights1.jpg

I found a ph1 D-turbo at the scrappy with horrible lexus style tail lights, but the wiring looms out of them can be used for ph2 conversions, and the looms were perfect, with all the bulbs still working! I already had the ph2 lenses lying about for a few weeks.:D

Nice one. Looks quite a bit better now.

Being French and full of electrics my car has thrown up more problems with the Speedo. I cba with sorting it out, it went through it's MOT without any advisories a month or so a go so it can suffer for eleven months if it is suffering.

I know what 30MPH is in 4th gear anyway looking at the revs, so it's alright as long as my rev counter doesn't die as well, lol.

My speedo works fine, but my rev counter is pretty much dead, lol. Maybe about once or twice a week it'll work for about 5 minutes then wobble about a bit and drop back to zero. :rolleyes:

I'm used to driving plenty of cars that never had rev counters in the first place anyway, and I can tell when I need to change gear, especially with my straight-through downpipe! Fnaaarrr!

• 1 month later...
Small update:

Now I know how much booooooost it is doing, yay!

I've seen these incorporated into a custom-made air-vent housing mould. Are you going to try that or leave it as is?

Not sure if I'd like a boost gauge up there, personally. I'd probably shove it down in the centre console in a custom made cluster with other stuff like oil pressure and stuff otherwise I'd be forever looking at the needle while saying "BOOOOOST!" instead of watching the road, lol.

The boost gauge is there for my on-going fuel pump tweaking. Mechanical injection for the win! No laptops needed!

By increasing the fuelling, the boost is also affected, so I kinda need the gauge. I've only tweaked it mildly, i.e. not much effect yet, lol. Gonna go to my mate's tomorrow (he has a nice big flat farmyard to work in) and try getting some smoke and some poke! :D

Aiming for 15psi or slightly above.

EDIT: Maddog, yeah, I've seen the custom gauge housings for the centre of the dash too. Some guy on pug306.net makes them and sells them. £30 though, I don't have any spare cash right now, lol. I would love to have one though.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm an idiot.

I bought a manual boost controller for £12.50 (bargain!) turned out I didn't need it. Well, I couldn't find where to fit it, lol.

I decided to try tightening the wastegate arm a bit more than I had already. I first tried tightening it all the way, effectively disabling the wastegate, so the fuelling was the limiting factor for the boost. Remember kids, I've already turned up the fuelling. Long story short, it hit at least 20psi (the gauge only goes that high, lol). I turned the wastegate down a tiny bit after that and it's now sitting at 16psi, woo! :cool:

Lol, I was thinking about checking on the Pug306 forums to see if you'd updated your thread on there. I don't go on there much, mainly because my car has turned into one of the most reliable cars in the family at the moment *touches wood*. Besides needing a new cambelt which will probably break now I've said my car is the most reliable :p

• 3 weeks later...

Mis-matched (but very very comfy) interior! £27.50 from a scrap yard!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/newfrontseats.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/newrearseats.jpg

I'm also considering a modification to the tail pipe, if I can get hold an off-cut from an exhaust garage with a 90 degree bend and a 43mm internal diameter. Here's a diagram :lol:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/exhaustidea.jpg

EDIT: Here's a nice photo I had on my photobucket:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/French%20shed/Favouritethings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I will soon have these:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z245/matt88sco/pepperpots.jpg

:D

Gave up on the exhaust idea above, too silly, and would probably just attract attention from the police...

EDIT: Ooooh yeah, about a week ago I tweaked the wastegate some more and got my target of 18psi! Awesomesauce. Bloody shifts for 13yr old diesel, lol. With it burning the extra fuel properly, it seems more efficient too. It's reading just over 300 miles with just under half a tank left. Never got that before.

• 2 weeks later...

I was awaiting an update to this thread :p

I saw your update about these wheels on Pug306.net. The wheels look good, gone off the Swallows now?

You'll have to explain to me how to re-spray wheels correctly at some point. Tread's getting low on mine so I'll probably just have the tyres stripped off and have a bash at making a hash of some of my 'clones.