We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 Feature Discussion: Car Damage

Ryzza5

If you would like to ask question regarding this topic or discuss if it's a good idea or not, please do it here, and not in other threads.

What We Know

When driving, your car will show cosmetic damage. If you were drifting around a corner to gain 'points' and crash, those points will be lost. One article (GameSpot) said that damage would cost you, but it is believed that this reffered to the loss of accrued 'points' during the particular stunt move.

Some feel that damage is a great addition to the game, while others want their cars to always look in prestine condition.

You are welcome to discuss the pros and cons of this topic, but any posts that go offtopic or are rude will be deleted.

In Fuel your vehicle was also only capable of getting visually damaged. Even though the engine would start giving dark smokeclouds, there was no mechanical damage, and as soon as you reset the vehicle was fixed. I think for TDU2 this would be a good way to do so.

I think mechanical damage in TDU2 would only be good if the vehicle has a long endurance, so it takes longer than in other games before it starts to downhill. But visual only is ok too.

I'm not sure though if it would really prevent people from crashing. They know that if they use a crashbarrier to progress a turn their car won't deform and get severe steeringdamage.

And to bring back up the point of paying for damage, I don't mind that. The largest bills are for mechanical and structural damage, so they can't charge you that much for just losing some panels (ok, carbon costs a lot and losing doors gives big bills). Remember you got points/money for doing stunts and combo's, I think that will soon result in complete coverage of the damagecosts you made earlier, so for now I'm not too worried.

The car got slower as you picked up more damage in FUEL until the car was totaled and you were reset. I'm not fussed whichever way TDU2 goes as far as damage goes.

I didn't find the performance getting worse enough to mention it, if I already ever noticed it. Games like MBWR and Grid and such have proper mechanical damage slowing down vehicles to perhaps 30 or 50 km/h. As far as I can remember I always reached high speeds with Fuel.

I like the idea of progressive damage as long as it's not a literal step system. ie;

Crashing at slow and high speed results in the same slight damage then another crash leads to dislodged parts perhaps and then finally something falls off. So as long as a high speed crash results in the damage being appropriate (even if it's only cosmetic) then I'll be fine with it.

Shift has nice one I think, also makes it Visual only or Full depending on which difficulty you choose. I haven't played Pro-Street.

Perhaps bikes only show scratches and dirt, I can't remember bikes in Burnout Paradise to lose parts. The only thing they lost was the driver :p

A little off topic, but I reckon I'd be happier in EA released more cars and tracks for Shift this year instead of a new game that's probably going to be arcadish. (It wasn't easy playing Burnout Paradise or Undercover with a steering wheel, put it that way).

Most games with with car damage that include bikes tend to just make rider fall off the bike when hit hard. I guess the metal exterior of the bike would get scrateches from scraping along the road when you fall off. Rain can wash your car, there might be car washes, but what happens if your helmet gets dirty... and will there be any dirt bikes in the game (proper ones, not generic stuff)? Not that I know my bikes or anything

@Ryzza

The only thing with dirt bikes is they're not very good on the road what with skinny dirt tyres, so perhaps you should be able to swap tyres to some road ones like so.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/Couch744/th_Photo-0022.jpg

And yes, that ones mine. Technically it's a supermoto when it's like that, as you generally have smaller wheels with tyres like that (compared to dirt ones) and mine also has bigger, better brakes thanks to Brembo. Though mine doesn't have the largest engine, there's plenty of supermotos with big motors, as big as superbikes. It wouldn't be hard to add a dirt set up to a supermoto or vice versa as the aesthetics only change around the wheel and it would realistically have softer suspension as well but I don't think many would notice.

Back to the damage side of things and on topic, there are plenty of panels which could come off a bike but you would then need to take more time modelling all the frame work and motor inside (this is of course more true of superbikes as dirt bikes have relatively exposed frames). Though saying that the same can be said for bonnets coming off on cars so it seems fair game to have body panels come off.

Perhaps a thread is due for dirt bikes/quads seeing as it seems to be a more popular topic lately, unless of course there is one.

Nice bike. I have friends who do a bit of dirt biking. I tend to think of things for the first time when typing up a post, and then just type in those thoughts as well, as you've witnessed above with the dirt bikes idea :)