We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Console question.

Rai06

I've been thinking about buying a console and have shortlisted the 360 and PS3, and might buy them later this month. Since many of you guys have consoles, I thought it'd be best to ask your opinion on what to buy before I go ahead and do so.

The main reason I'm going in for this are for FM3/GT5..but imo there are more exclusive releases for the 360 than the PS3, and I get most PC games out there.

So considering I go in for the 360, how does it work? I'm thinking of the lowest variant (with the 512MB(?) storage space) then using the new 250GB HDD I got, but will it work? And how exactly does this storage work? Can I install games onto it or is it for the screenshots/save games/dlc and stuff? I'm sorry if it sounds so basic, but this is gonna be my very first console, as I've always been a PC gamer, but FM III and the other releases made me sit up.

So, pl0x link me to some useful pages, as most of the pages i've visited are biased to one console or the other, or your own opinion would be most appreciated. :)

Have a look at this:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/

As it says in the article, the XBox gets owned pretty much in all aspects, but I still like it alot more then the PS3. I'm thinking about getting a PlayStation just for GT5 and the Blu-Ray player! Its up to you, if you want quality and brill graphics go for the PS3, but I think the Xbox is overall the best console.

So considering I go in for the 360, how does it work? I'm thinking of the lowest variant (with the 512MB(?) storage space) then using the new 250GB HDD I got, but will it work?

When you say new 250GB, do you mean Xbox 360 HDD or standard computer HDD? The Xbox uses a proprietary HDD. There are tutorials out there on how to make your own but I'm not familiar with it, and so far as I know it's not possible on the slim Xbox yet.

And how exactly does this storage work? Can I install games onto it or is it for the screenshots/save games/dlc and stuff?

All of the above.

As for which one to choose.. that's a tough one. Since you have a PC which I imagine you'll buy all multi-platform games on it's down to a battle of exclusive titles, or hardware features.

The 360 has some cracking exclusives but then so does the PS3, the PS3 offers you blu ray which the 360 does not. The PS3 goes on to win a few more points on the hardware front with it's ability to use a standard bluetooth headset for voice chat and the ability to install your own HDD, which is of course cheaper than a bespoke HDD.

If though it's purely a gaming decision then.. it comes down to personal preference.

Well for not make another topic, I have a doubt about these two consoles.

Lot of my friends has got PS3 and Xbox360 but all the time I read that after a couple of months ( or a year) the PS3 or the Xbox360 stops working ( failure, software breakdown, etc)

So my question is, how about the "reliability" of these consoles when you use them?

Which one is better?

Because if I buy a console, I dont want to buy it again because it has brokendown, etc.

@t

If that's the case, what's the point of the XBox 360 Arcade or w/e it is. 512 MB isn't enough for any game..right? Well this really dampens it for me, as I've not got a HUGE budget, and I still need to get some games after getting the console. I just got a brand new Transcend 250 GB HDD from a friend, and I got the idea from it. Back to my question, how would anyone play FM3 or GTAIV on the Arcade? I also saw here that someone's going to extend to a 120GB HDD or something.

Sorry, I'm just really confused.

@t

If that's the case, what's the point of the XBox 360 Arcade or w/e it is. 512 MB isn't enough for any game..right?

No 512 isn't enough, but installing games on the 360 is entirely optional, where as on the PS3 some games have mandatory installs. The point? Kids, people on a tight budget, people who want to get the console then save up for the HDD. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Arcade, the only reason I have one is because my previous Pro unit died so I already had an HDD.

Back to my question, how would anyone play FM3 or GTAIV on the Arcade?

You'd play them off the disc, on GTA that would be fine unless you wanted the DLC, of which both pieces are above 512mb. Forza 3 has an optional install which gives you more cars, while I believe you can play the game without this install you wouldn't want to.

Most PC people seem to side with the PS3, in an ideal world you'd want both. I prefer my X360, but that's because it's where all my friends game.

Console reliability for X360's has got much better in recent years.

Yes, we all know. You've been anti console in the whole time you've been here and so pro PC that it leaves you unable to give an honestly impartial opinion.

Yes, we all know. You've been anti console in the whole time you've been here and so pro PC that it leaves you unable to give an honestly impartial opinion.

lol... I have a PSP and PS2 (since 2002) and I love playing with them because I don't need to care about the graphics, fps, etc.

The problem here is the price...

here in Argentina is really expensive to buy a PS3 or an Xbox360, and I would like to avoid a waste of money if something happens.

1 dollar = 4 pesos

and with 1 dollar you can buy the same here for 1 pesos, but when it come the imported stuff thats the problem >.<

Have a look at this:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/

As it says in the article, the XBox gets owned pretty much in all aspects,

Wow thats quite a self contradicting article. Besides it was massively out of date way before the new 360 was released, let alone the PS3 Slim...

It always surprises me why so many people want their consoles to do everything.

I have have my console only for gaming and downloading stuff for my games.

My DVD player is for watching movies

My ipod is for music

PC is for, well everything...

Anyway for me the 360 wins because it is the better gaming machine.

I can't be impartial as I own just the 360, but honestly, I think exclusives wise it's miles better than the PS3... I mean, on 360 we had 2 fully fledged forza games over the duration of GT5's development time. PGR games are fantastic to play, and whilst Bizarre have jumped ship to activision, the series is still alive... On PS3's side there's motorstorm and GT5

However, if you have a G25, I'd go for PS3, as they support the wheel. Microsoft have a fanatec offering, which I hear is good... but it's very costly, and there's no sign of G25 support going to Xbox.

If I were you, I'd check for a second hand xbox, trade-in places are only offering £30ish for xboxes now the slim has come out, so you should be able to pick up an elite on the cheap.

I have both consoles, but play PC mostly. The PS3 has better hardware, but the 360 has better software, and out of the two, I surprisingly prefer the 360.

The PS3 regularly drops it's WiFi connection, shows errors when streaming video from my PC, and I don't like the PS3 controller. I doubt I will use it until GT5 comes out, but at least the G25 works with it.

I bought the 360 Elite a few months ago, and the experience wasn't brilliant. After buying the high-end console, I then had the buy another $50 adapter to get sound working, had to spend $80 for 12 months of XBOX Live Gold (which I haven't activated yet). I recently took up their offer for the one month of Gold + 1 month free, only to find that once you sign up, they set you up for automatic renewel, and have recently removed the option to cancel this from their website, so that you are forced to call them up on the phone.

Anyway, once you are setup, the 360 is more fun. It's just a shame the G25 doesn't work with it. I don't mind too much, since I only use the 360 as a Windows Media Extender, to watch movies and recorded TV from my PC.

I don't think you can install any old HDD in the 360 - it has to be a special MS one (which costs twice as much as it should), so you might as well get the new slim 360 if you've got the money to spend.

Lot of my friends has got PS3 and Xbox360 but all the time I read that after a couple of months ( or a year) the PS3 or the Xbox360 stops working ( failure, software breakdown, etc)

So my question is, how about the "reliability" of these consoles when you use them?

Which one is better?

Because if I buy a console, I dont want to buy it again because it has brokendown, etc.

well I tell you something, my ps3 travelled nearly 1000 miles in a car which had a ride that broke our bones is still working perfectly today.

for the storage I think it's absolutely useless to get a big hdd in a console. You can't storage your games, unless you download them through your console. you can only stuff it with music and movies.

Whatever you're going to buy I think you're making a right move towards gaming :P. I'm glad that I've spend several hundred pounds on my ps3 I hope you will too.The reason why I got ps3 not 360 was purely because of gt5. And don't forget that ps3 is more user/pocket friendly than 360. It may cost more than 360 but in long run it'll pay back as 360 will only accept unique extra components.

To be fair the Playstation 3 has Super Stardust HD and therefore automatically wins hands down.

But as I always say in threads like these. Neither console is really much better than the other, it's all down to what an individual person wants from a console in terms of games and features.

I haven't touched my Playstation 3 in months. Then again I haven't touched my Xbox 360 in a year... because it's broken. I have been considering a 360 Slim, though. Might just tinker with my old Xbox 360 first to see if I can fix it myself.

Bleh. Going in for teh 360 250HDD edition. I know, you should hate me. -_-

So, final Q, if I have the installation filse of a game, like GTA IV or DiRT2 in a 8-16 gig flash drive, would I be able to instal it into the console by plugging it into the console? Or do I need the DVD? I love to take care of my DVDs..could just store the installers on my comp or something.

Not really sure what you're on about there so I'll just run though the 360 install process.

You have to install the game to your HDD from the games DVD disc, using the 360's disc drive. You cannot install the game in any other way.

Even though the game is installed you will still need to have the disc in the tray before you can play it. However after an initial spin the disc will sit idle and the game will run off the HDD.

Not really sure what you're on about there so I'll just run though the 360 install process.

Suppose I have a flash drive with GTA IV installation files, same as that on the standard installation disk. Will I be able to install them into the HDD using the flashdrive, or do I need to insert the DVD..hope that clears it, thanks. :)

Theoretically you can just move the files across to your 360's hdd.

However M$ is pretty tight on what kind of files you can move around.

Either way though, you'll still need the dvd in the drive to play the game (at all times). Even though its on your hdd the disc is still required to validate the game is yours and a legal copy... blah

Only 'XBox Live Arcade' games and 'Games on Demand' (ie. those bought from XBL Marketplace) do not require a disc to play. But they are tied to you gamertag, so transferring them to another place that can't access your gt is pointless.

:)

Hope that helps

Suppose I have a flash drive with GTA IV installation files, same as that on the standard installation disk. Will I be able to install them into the HDD using the flashdrive, or do I need to insert the DVD..hope that clears it, thanks. :)

You need to use the DVD, basically.

Bump.

Just saw Forza 3 has two DVDs. Considering I get a 360 Arcade, I won't be able to access the vehicles and tracks on Disc 2, cause I need to have Disc 1 in?...Ugh.

It's a special edition with 2discs. Disc 2 is onli added content so you install the content with disc 2 then play it with disc one.