We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Who's rant about the games industry

Who

Right, I'm going to get on my soapbox now, but as fellow gamers, I was wondering if any of these points resonate with you guys

Remember when:

•  
  • A publisher didn't have an answer to every one of its rival's titles
  • Games didn't have to do 'x' because last year's AAA title made a lot of money from having 'x'.
  • An exclusive title was built from a unique idea, not tempting one niche to swap system with an identical product.
  • Risks were taken
  • New ideas made a good game, not better execution
  • Sequels were the mark of a good predecessor, and not a desperate cash in.
  • Publishers saw public outcry as a bad thing, not free promotion
  • Graphics didn't make or break a game
  • Split screen was present on most games, rather than focussing entirely on online gameplay, adding split screen as an afterthought (if at all)

So, any other long in the tooth gamers want to join me in venting?

The recipe for making a game in 2010 involves;

• Guns
  • Desert
  • Mountains
  • Muslims
  • Swearing
  • A Nu Metal Soundtrack
  • A totally hopeless but seemingly invincible protagonist
  • Russia as a terrorist state
  • American Victory at all costs

Where have you kids been? This is 2010, catch up.

I was looking at MoH when I thought of a fair few of these points. EA tried to answer CoD with BFBC and ultimately didn't do as well, so instead they made a game which was darker than the dark CoD, more shocking than the shocking CoD, better graphics than the graphically impressive CoD... it's a load of crap

If the battle between SEGA and Nintendo from the early 90's was happening today then Sega's mascot would be Wario, and the games would play identically besides tiny details like colouration and boss battles.

Thing is, it wasn't darker than CoD nor was it more atmospheric. It was just crap. I'm no CoD fanboy but IW make a consuming single player.

I do agree with what you say though, gaming is being taken over by money men in place of the games men and creative men that made gaming what it is today.*

*Women were also involved.

Each one of your points said by all of you are so true.

Mainly, my main problem is that newer titles in a game series try to "go back to their roots" by implementing "similar" features an older game might have had, but then practically overshadow it all with more recent implementations that basically lose the appeal the former game may have had.

*cough*Need for Speed Hot Pursuit*cough*

Hot Pursuit also comes to mind there Ryzza. I remember the devs saying within five minutes someone can drift around the corner at 150mph.

But what are you gonna do? It's impossible to address the entire gaming industry about issues that need to be resolved.

I love how your first post is Black Ops.

Apart from nothing changing though, I'd have to say that my biggest gripe is just how everything is being rushed out just so it can be on the shelves sooner. Don't release a bloody game until it actually works.

Or maybe it's all out fault for whining when release dates were pushed back. I don't have high hopes for GT5. I'm sure it'll be brilliant, but I suspect it'll get old like FM3. But at least we know it will work when it does finally come out.

We need more indie games. Long live Steam.