We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Absolute Best PC Mod You Can Make

iLLGT3

Via Lifehacker..

500x_outside-air-cooled-pc-e1294681843791.jpg

If you live in a cold area, there's no reason to buy expensive and complicated cooling setup for your PC. With just a bit of dryer ductwork, you can actually cool your PC using air from outside.

While most computers don't need extra cooling, if you've overclocked your PC for video editing, gaming, or other processor-intensive tasks, keeping your computer cool is a must. In fact, the better your cooling system, the higher you can overclock, so a bit of winter air is sure to provide some nice speed boosts.

All you need is a flexible duct, some pieces to connect it to your window, and some scotch brite to act as a filter. By setting up one of your PC fans near the duct, you can blow air from outside right into your computer case. Note that the above setup, while clever, will probably cause your heating bills to go up as the cold air is funneled into the room through the PC—if you set up a second duct with a fan blowing the air outside, you might make this a bit more efficient. Hit the link for more details.

More pictures here.

That depends on what graphics card you have. My old 9800GX2 would blow air out through the side of the PC, which meant when I had an intake fan there, it was pushing the hot air coming out of the graphics card back into itself.

When we moved offices at work I inherited the backup airconditioner for the server room, which I have setup in my bedroom - works really well :brrr:

Dare I say though, the PS3 makes my room hotter than the PC (GTX 480 runs at about 48 degrees idle compared to my old 9800, which idled at 72 degrees C.

Buy a chest freezer, insert computer, drill air-tight holes for cabling, problem solved.

Use said chest freezer as a desk.

Or, if you want to be really awesome. Tip a fridge onto it's side, insert computer, drill air-tight holes for cabling, add delicious refridgerated snacks. Never go to the kitchen for food again.

I was going to make a snide comment about summer, but the way my PC runs, it might still have a cooling effect. My parents would be quite... unhappy about the whole "opening a window for months at a time" thing.

Still, maybe for intense Crysis animating sessions, I would love to do this.

-Leadfoot

And what about the excess moisture in the air? That'd kill many machines!

The absolute best thing you can do for computers is put the components (except the HDD and PSU) into transmission oil. Transmission oil is electronically sound, so no short circuits will occur. The only thing is, though, you'll need to break your heatsinks on both the CPU and GPU so there are no fans on them.

And what about the excess moisture in the air? That'd kill many machines!

The absolute best thing you can do for computers is put the components (except the HDD and PSU) into transmission oil. Transmission oil is electronically sound, so no short circuits will occur. The only thing is, though, you'll need to break your heatsinks on both the CPU and GPU so there are no fans on them.

A guy in the Lifehacker comments did a similar thing as the above "mod," but made it an exhaust exit in the summer. My dad pointed out that that's a much better idea, because it doesn't bring in the other issues such as moisture or escaping heat from, you know, the entire house.

Interesting idea with the transmission oil, but I'm too scared to do something that drastic to my PC.

-Leadfoot

• 3 weeks later...