We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

CPU choices...

T1M

I was thinking of upgrading my current CPU. There are 2 possible choices for my new CPU.. not sure which one to get...

Either the AMD FX-4350 or the AMD FX-8320.

Which one do you guys (and gals) think? The price difference isn't massive, and the FX-4350 has a faster stock CPU speed, but half the number of cores... it's a tough decision.

Here's some graphs, which makes it even harder! The FX-4350 is broadly the same/slightly better for each area, but the FX-8320 is significantly better at multi-threaded performance (whatever that is...).

Budget is around £100, so ideally the best I can possibly get for this price. My current CPU is an FX-6100 for those who are wondering...

Do you multi-task with a billion(slight exaggeration) programs open? If so get the CPU with more cores as it will be more beneficial for you.

Imo even if you do multi-task a lot which I'm assured that males can't do this then I'd still go for the 4350. Don't think there are many programs out there yet that can take full advantage or 4 or more cores yet.

I think none, just get an intel

but I'm really biased :D

"Budget is around £100" As much as I'd love an Intel, it'd go waay over my budget :cry:

And yeah, you're correct bernidea. Thanks for the help.

It'd be nice to run Assetto Corsa/pCARS on the new system, it's not a must, but I would like to start trying some PC sims. Do you think the FX-4350 would be enough? Recommended system requirements for the game say that you should have a 6 Core CPU... but surely 4, decent cores beats 6 lousy cores?

Invest the money you have left from the CPU investment in a GPU and I'm pretty sure you won't feel sorry you spent more money on your GPU than your CPU.As far as "lousy" cores go, the FX8350 is better in any way, but it isn't necessary unless you absolutely need one.I for one went full retard when buying my CPU+Motherboard just because....I had lots of money back then, spent about 500$ on them.Now, honestly, I would have rather went for a "locked" i5, a cheaper motherboard, and a better graphics card.Ofcourse, the CPU will get old and will start bottlenecking your "new" video card at some point in its life, but when that happens, you can easily upgrade to something more powerful.And considering the development in CPU's that we're seeing every year so far, I don't think you'll have any problems for 3 years or so.

I've never "upgraded" a CPU. I pick one to last the life of the PC, and only get a new one when I build a new PC. I also happen to stick with Intel.

/helpful

I'd go the quad-core one ;)

don't you usually need to upgrade the motherboard with the cpu anyway?

I mean they change in like every 3-4 years which is about the same as my pcs lifetimes

Not going for Intel unless I suddenly stumble upon £200, I'd love an i5, but I'd have to save for longer :(

And I'd like to keep at least 1 550ti really, I bought it months ago and it hasn't been near my PC yet. Newer cards are a lot more expensive than buying another 550ti, was looking at a GTX650ti Turbo Boost for £110 (vs £60 for a 550ti) and it's actually worse than the 550ti in some areas. Might just stick to a single GPU for now and upgrade to a single, better one in future, when I require more power Scotty.

I agree, it's a wiser choice to sell your actual GPU and then spend the money on a more powerful graphics card, I don't know what your budget is, but you could look at an AMD R7 270 or a nVidia GTX750Ti.

Considering he was looking at a 650ti I doubt his budget could stretch to a 7 series card.

Do you run anything that your current CPU actually struggles with? If not it might be worth looking into getting a decent SSD instead if you don't have one already.